Unblocking Sink Advice

Posted 16th Sep
I've tried using baking soda, white vinegar and hot water but no luck.

What's your how-to solution for unblocking kitchen/bathroom sink?
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Plumber - chances are it's a bit further down the pipe and you'll need a long windy prodder thingy thing that only plumbers have.
I recommend using
38474704-yQz6Q.jpg
Go to Screwfix and buy a good old fashioned sink plunger, put a wet cloth over the overflow, half fill the basin/sink and give it some welly. works for us everytime
38474818-tX4Zb.jpg
Waste Pipe cleaner £2.98 in Screwfix
Caustic soda. If the blockage is organic it will dissolve it. Did the trick a week ago with the toilet for me.
Plunger every time . Block off any other "feeds" to your sink drain (perhaps second sink , washing machine , dishwasher, overflow ) then give it a few plunges with a sink full of hot water .

Avoid using your sink for "fat disposal" and you shouldn't have the problem reoccur .
hearts2216/09/2019 20:03

Caustic soda. If the blockage is organic it will dissolve it. Did the …Caustic soda. If the blockage is organic it will dissolve it. Did the trick a week ago with the toilet for me.

Hate to think what might have been down your toilet . .
Block overflow with masking tape. Put a few inches of water in sink and plunge away. Shift anything.

Re Toilet.
Mop in bin liner to make giant plunger. Shift the xxxx
Edited by: "wayners" 16th Sep
Have you removed the u bend and checked if the block is there.
ScubaDudes16/09/2019 20:22

That's all I have ever had to do to unblock a sink.
Screwfix is selling this blue plunger for £2.50. But that it's good. Then cover the holes with your hand and pump with the other hand
ScubaDudes16/09/2019 20:22

Funny thing is my bath tub hole is also blocked.
rimalpatel00716/09/2019 21:48

so the blockage is beyond the point where your sink and bath tub waste join. Unblocking either from the waste hole is unlikely to work.
Have you checked there isn't a blockage/back up in the drains? Lift the manhole cover, but stand clear!
the trend towards push fit plumbing has made the use of plungers decidedly more interesting. Try gentle pressure and build up. You do run the very real risk of pushing apart joints in inaccesible places
ccnp17/09/2019 08:49

the trend towards push fit plumbing has made the use of plungers decidedly …the trend towards push fit plumbing has made the use of plungers decidedly more interesting. Try gentle pressure and build up. You do run the very real risk of pushing apart joints in inaccesible places

Been there, done that. Had to pull down some of my kitchen ceiling to access a detached pipe from my shower trap after plunging. That was fun!
ccnp17/09/2019 08:49

the trend towards push fit plumbing has made the use of plungers decidedly …the trend towards push fit plumbing has made the use of plungers decidedly more interesting. Try gentle pressure and build up. You do run the very real risk of pushing apart joints in inaccesible places

That goes for any plumbing really, It will certainly find any weakness! Push fit is probably the worst though I'll agree.
As Javea posted - there are various different drain unblockers that you push into the pipe. I have one that you can twist - it is usually hair that causes the blockage.

I've never managed to get a plunger to clear the blockage, worst comes to worst then use Oneshot - it is very corrosive though, so don't get it in contact with any metal.
hearts2216/09/2019 20:03

Caustic soda. If the blockage is organic it will dissolve it. Did the …Caustic soda. If the blockage is organic it will dissolve it. Did the trick a week ago with the toilet for me.

This with boiling water, just stand back though as its quite volatile
rimalpatel00716/09/2019 21:48

Do you have an inspection cover in the garden? If so lift it to see if the drain is full. If that's the case you will need drain rods to clear it.
We live in a new build and recently had problems with the bathroom sink basin slow draining. We tried caustic soda and a variety of drain cleaners, I then disassembled the waste trap, no blockage then last week we bought one of those £2.99 Sink & Bath Unblocker Plungers from Screwfix.

As others on here have said, half fill, block overflow hole and plunge...a few pumps, released suction and it has been fine since.
Edited by: "cicobuff" 17th Sep
deleted90213916/09/2019 20:11

Hate to think what might have been down your toilet . .

It was just a lot of toilet paper actually. I buy the thick one and I guess it clogged the toilet a bit. There was no involved lol.
4Real201617/09/2019 13:16

This with boiling water, just stand back though as its quite volatile

I poured hot water from the kettle after the oven cleaner. It foamed up a little.
I think in my case it was overkill but didn't have a plunger so went with that solution.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants