under cabinet lighting for no pelmets units

Found 2nd Nov 2015
I am wanting to put under cabinet lighting in my kitchen but my units don't have pelmets, it's called linear framing where the set of units are covered in a wood veneer frame.

With this in mind I want some lighting (not spots but more diffused lighting) but I also don't want to see the fitments hanging down off the cupboard bottoms, if I had pelmets then it would be ok as they would hide the lights but it doesn't.

Anyone got any ideas on what I could use?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
You can buy triangular shaped slanted units that fit at the rear of the cabinet and slope down to the wall so they throw the light forward, they would be visible but not ridiculously so. It's what most of the big developers use for pelmetless units
Original Poster
wolf359

Like … Like thesehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Triangle-Under-Cabinet-Light-Transformer/dp/B004P8RL6E/ref=sr_1_6?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1446498752&sr=1-6&keywords=under+cabinet+lighting

Thanks, bought some of them a few weeks ago and sent them back as the light was more spot light on the counter rather than a glow. Was thinking about some Led tape but not sure if it will look amateur
Could you add pelmets or come down through the bottom of the cupboards and then fit an additional base?
best lights are paper thin led lights can get thw different colours with remotes that change colours they are the best diy.com/dep…prd
I used something very similar to these for our pelmetless cupboards. (if you search led rigid there's different types) m.banggood.com/50C…tml
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 2nd Nov 2015
How wide are the cabs?
Here you go, I used to sell lighting and Hafele were our main competitor.

http://hafele.com/gb/en/external/blaetterkataloge/LightingAndElectricalDirectory2015/

You should find what you want on pages

55 or 56

Alternatively you could just buy the Hafele diffuser on page 186 and put some cheaper LED strip lights from Ebay or Amazon into it.

Hope this helps. If its not right let me know and I will find some more options
Edited by: "306notout" 2nd Nov 2015
Aldi are currently doing a 5m LED strip light which would go in the Hafele diffuser for £29.99
I had the same issue but bought a 5m 5050 led strip which I cut into 3 lengths. Placed the power pack on top of a cupboard and put the low voltage supply down the back of the wall units. Mine were about £50 four years ago and were a mix of cool and warm LEDs and came with a remote. We keep both types lit for best colour. They weren't even waterproof but have been fine above kettle too.
Original Poster
306notout

Here you go, I used to sell lighting and Hafele were our main … Here you go, I used to sell lighting and Hafele were our main competitor.http://hafele.com/gb/en/external/blaetterkataloge/LightingAndElectricalDirectory2015/You should find what you want on pages55 or 56Alternatively you could just buy the Hafele diffuser on page 186 and put some cheaper LED strip lights from Ebay or Amazon into it.Hope this helps. If its not right let me know and I will find some more options

Do you know where I could purchase Hafele products as the re-seller that is local to me wont deal with the public?

I might either try the 5050 led strips (the one that had the plastic resin over the top of them for waterproofing) or the Hafele Corner light - http://hafele.com/gb/en/external/blaetterkataloge/TCH2013/blaetterkatalog/html/strip_plus_murano.html

The led strips I would like to get a black (or brown) version as the white PCB would stand out against the dark brown units - any suggestions on the best suppliers?

Does anyone have any images of their units that use these LED tape/strips - I don't want them too bright so just wanted to see what it looks like for real

Thanks for all the replies!
Original Poster
Mermoo

Could you add pelmets or come down through the bottom of the cupboards … Could you add pelmets or come down through the bottom of the cupboards and then fit an additional base?

Was thinking about recessing some lights into the base (using the led profiles you can get) but my woodwork routing skills on veneered wood is not good enough!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions