EXPIRED

Undercharged by B&Q and now they want money...

Hi Guys.
So... ive ordered a kitchen from B&Q and paid in full (to be delivered) with a 20% discount.
I then added a bathroom sink & toilet to the order and paid in full (to be delivered) which i got 20% off.

Then the other day i decided to get a refund for the toilet and i added more items to my order to get the 20% off and i paid in full (took these items with me).

They have refunded me the £92 for the toilet to my card, but it turns out they have also knocked £92 off my bill for the other items i purchased which means they undercharged me for my items (which i took with me) as the system had still listed the toilet as -£92.

They called today to say they have refunded me twice and asked for my card details so they can take the money back, which i refused...

I have checked the bank and they haven't refunded me twice, they have cocked up the bill and undercharged me by £92 due to an error on their part.

Where do i stand with this?
As far as I'm aware i have paid all my invoices in full and i took the items with me, so the deal is done?

Do i have to pay them due to their error?
Surely they cannot refuse to deliver any of my other items as i had paid them in full with separate receipts?

Any help would be great!

48 Comments

If there is a £92 error, I wouldn't be expecting to have my items delivered.

Legally I'm not sure, as it's a bit like checking your change after you've walked away and noticing you were given change for a 20 instead of a tenner. It's their fault but could end up with that person losing their job.

Morally pay up, would you feel OK if that person did lose their job?

Legally uncertain but morally I'd certainly class that as theft - deliberate stealing.

Banned

mclovin9091

If there is a £92 error, I wouldn't be expecting to have my items … If there is a £92 error, I wouldn't be expecting to have my items delivered. Legally I'm not sure, as it's a bit like checking your change after you've walked away and noticing you were given change for a 20 instead of a tenner. It's their fault but could end up with that person losing their job. Morally pay up, would you feel OK if that person did lose their job?

OP has said that on his bank they haven't refunded him twice so that's not very helpful! They wouldn't fire someone for a mess up like this, it is human nature that we all make mistakes at some point!

I would contact them in writing and request copies of all paperwork/receipts etc with proof that they have refunded your card twice, if you are 100% sure you are in the right then send acopy of it to their HO and possily get CAB involved.

I would also contact your bank and ask if there are any pending transactions (debits/credits) and if you can have a list/printout of these.

If they have undercharged you then yes you would need to pay imho.

Edited by: "Holly1985" 27th Jul 2014

Banned

Pay up!

Original Poster

Xippi

Legally uncertain but morally I'd certainly class that as theft - … Legally uncertain but morally I'd certainly class that as theft - deliberate stealing.

How is this deliberate stealing?
in the past 3 weeks i have spent nearly £2000 with B&Q on tons of items, i literally have a stack of receipts.
I gave the items to the staff member who was struggling with the system to get it to work out correctly.
She then gave me a total price to pay and rang it up at the till and i paid it.
There was so much confusion with refunds, discounts and new items that neither of us could work out if it was right or not but this final price sounded correct to us both.
I paid it and left with no knowledge of the cock up!

So I'm left in a position where i have paid £92 less for my items, which i have on my person because i collected them.

Now imo... if they didn't deliver my kitchen or bathroom items then that would be wrong of them as those invoices where paid weeks ago.

So this is their cock-up ad the staff member wouldn't lose their job, if anything is their system that is in the wrong as its not worked things out correctly.

If i went to tesco and paid £50 for £100 of shopping and left, then got a call the next day saying the tills cocked up and undercharged me, i wouldn't be hurrying back to the store to pay them.
Its an error... by the staff or the computer... which should be written off.
Edited by: "adamck" 27th Jul 2014

If someone in a shop gave you change of £10 instead of change of £20, you would ask for the missing £10

Original Poster

victor99

If someone in a shop gave you change of £10 instead of change of £20, you … If someone in a shop gave you change of £10 instead of change of £20, you would ask for the missing £10

Yes but they wouldn't have to give me the refund after i left the shop... hence why most shops tell you to check your change to cover from mistakes made by them or yourself.

Have the kitchen items been delivered yet?

Original Poster

No the kitchen and bathroom sink is booked in for delivery.
BUT... i have paid for them in total, the refund was for a toilet which i no longer need and the cock-up is on the items that i have already got.

adamck

No the kitchen and bathroom sink is booked in for delivery.BUT... i have … No the kitchen and bathroom sink is booked in for delivery.BUT... i have paid for them in total, the refund was for a toilet which i no longer need and the cock-up is on the items that i have already got.

Nevertheless i would expect you to receive the kitchen with varying bits missing, could be fixings, cupboard door etc.........

Doesn't take much for an internal word spoken between departments regarding your " theft " / " their error "

transit

Nevertheless i would expect you to receive the kitchen with varying bits … Nevertheless i would expect you to receive the kitchen with varying bits missing, could be fixings, cupboard door etc.........Doesn't take much for an internal word spoken between departments regarding your " theft " / " their error "

its b & q - op should expect parts damaged / missing regardless

Banned

transit

Nevertheless i would expect you to receive the kitchen with varying bits … Nevertheless i would expect you to receive the kitchen with varying bits missing, could be fixings, cupboard door etc.........Doesn't take much for an internal word spoken between departments regarding your " theft " / " their error "

The items waiting for delivery have nothing to do with the error,

the error lies with items he already has, so for B&Q to purposefully miss out/take parts from his fully paid for delivery items that would be gross misconduct and very bad business behaviour. B&Q generally have agood rep. I doubt they would do what you have suggested.

Edited by: "Holly1985" 27th Jul 2014

Holly1985

The items waiting for delivery have nothing to do with the error, the … The items waiting for delivery have nothing to do with the error, the error lies with items he already has, so for B&Q to purposefully miss out/take parts from his fully paid for delivery items that would be gross misconduct and very bad business behaviour. B&Q generally have agood rep. I doubt they would do what you have suggested.

Please don't shoot the messenger. oO

chocci

its b & q - op should expect parts damaged / missing regardless

True, i hope the op can get by without any worktops.

Let me know what you decide to do.

If you don't pay up, I would like to know so I can avoid dealing with you in the future. I could quite easily mess up and would expect the seller to be understanding and refund my mistake.

Original Poster

I just came here for peoples opinions and to see what legal advice there is to where i stand so i can make a decision through speaking to B&Q.

Its not theft, its not deceitful and its not fraudulent in any way, its just an error which they are hoping to fix and to be honest they told me i had been given two refunds which is false and deceitful.

Thanks for comments so far!

adamck

I just came here for peoples opinions and to see what legal advice there … I just came here for peoples opinions and to see what legal advice there is to where i stand so i can make a decision through speaking to B&Q.Its not theft, its not deceitful and its not fraudulent in any way, its just an error which they are hoping to fix and to be honest they told me i had been given two refunds which is false and deceitful.Thanks for comments so far!

In all fairness people on here have given you their opinion, the general consensus is you are trying to steal £92 from a reputable business.

You obviously are having trouble dealing with this situation yourself, be it guilt or hoping for back - up from this savvy community.

Might they not just not serve you/your card at b&q until you cleared your debt? I doubt the kitchen is in the same process as the 92 mistake so assume you'll get it, but they'll likely just pass on your debt to them to a collection agency, which you really don't want to deal with.
Edited by: "dancedar" 27th Jul 2014

Banned

To me (having worked in retail) it just sounds like they have lost the second £92 (that they aparently refunded) in their system with a mess up on the receipts, aslong as you can confirm this with bank statements etc then you have not in any legal way got to re-pay the money they "refunded".

So get your bank statements sorted/talk with your bank about the issue and ask B&Q for proof they refunded you twice, they should be able to provide some sort of transaction ID and/or copy of the second "refund" (if they did actually refund you which I highly doubt they did)
I would 100% speak to CAB as if B&Q are definetly at fault and you don't owe them anything then in all honesty B&Q are harrasing you!

Banned

transit

wheres my post?

Which one?

Holly1985

Which one?

Lol i think im cracking up

Original Poster

Im going to speak to them tomorrow when i can confirm that they 100% haven't refunded me twice on my bank statements (online banking doesn't show anything on a weekend).

If thats the case I'm going to speak to them regarding the error and see where i stand and put up a little bit of a fight as i don't see how this is my fault in any way.

If they write it off, then so be it, if they expect me to pay then i will deal with a manager, put my case forward and see how they wish to resolve.

Some of these comments are making me out to be a nasty person who is ripping people off or something!?!

If i hadn't ordered my kitchen for delivery they wouldn't even have my details to contact me!!

Banned

adamck

Im going to speak to them tomorrow when i can confirm that they 100% … Im going to speak to them tomorrow when i can confirm that they 100% haven't refunded me twice on my bank statements (online banking doesn't show anything on a weekend).If thats the case I'm going to speak to them regarding the error and see where i stand and put up a little bit of a fight as i don't see how this is my fault in any way.If they write it off, then so be it, if they expect me to pay then i will deal with a manager, put my case forward and see how they wish to resolve.Some of these comments are making me out to be a nasty person who is ripping people off or something!?!If i hadn't ordered my kitchen for delivery they wouldn't even have my details to contact me!!

Sounds like a good plan!
I think some members have mis-interpreted your original post is all, so don't worry.

Original Poster

Holly1985

To me (having worked in retail) it just sounds like they have lost the … To me (having worked in retail) it just sounds like they have lost the second £92 (that they aparently refunded) in their system with a mess up on the receipts, aslong as you can confirm this with bank statements etc then you have not in any legal way got to re-pay the money they "refunded".So get your bank statements sorted/talk with your bank about the issue and ask B&Q for proof they refunded you twice, they should be able to provide some sort of transaction ID and/or copy of the second "refund" (if they did actually refund you which I highly doubt they did)I would 100% speak to CAB as if B&Q are definetly at fault and you don't owe them anything then in all honesty B&Q are harrasing you!

Thanks Holly this is what i thought and the kind of reply i was expecting!
Some of the comments are very childish and not helpful!
I know that i only used my card twice in B&Q, the first was a refund, the second was to pay the new order.
The amounts where correct for the invoices they created (£92 refund, then £111 payment).

I will check and save my bank statements tomorrow and then speak to B&Q about where to go from here.
Personally i think they should write it off as an error, which is exactly what it is.
I also don't think they can hold me to ransom or send me debt collection letters as i have paid all of my invoices with proof.

adamck

Thanks Holly this is what i thought and the kind of reply i was … Thanks Holly this is what i thought and the kind of reply i was expecting!Some of the comments are very childish and not helpful!I know that i only used my card twice in B&Q, the first was a refund, the second was to pay the new order.The amounts where correct for the invoices they created (£92 refund, then £111 payment).I will check and save my bank statements tomorrow and then speak to B&Q about where to go from here.Personally i think they should write it off as an error, which is exactly what it is.I also don't think they can hold me to ransom or send me debt collection letters as i have paid all of my invoices with proof.

Well as they have not dispatched your order they could just cancel your order and refund you. I'm guessing the extra 20% off was the friends and family voucher? This finished on Thu so you wouldn't be able to order with the discount again. What store is it? (PM if you don't want to post it here)

If they have refunded you twice which it seems they haven't, then fair enough, however if they simply charged you the wrong amount due to their error then tough luck! I wouldn't give them the money back, sale agreed and good have been taken from store so it's a staff error not yours.

And neither would all the "saints" on here.

What does the receipt say? And I wouldn't identify the store on here. It's a small world.

Original Poster

Yeah I'm going to deal with this myself.

Well as they have not dispatched your order they could just cancel your … Well as they have not dispatched your order they could just cancel your order and refund you.

The kitchen has nothing to do with this though, the kitchen was a separate invoice which i have paid in full.
As posted in other comments it would be gross misconduct.

Banned

No you don't have to pay up. They tried so say though xx.
its your fault not mine

From the sounds of things they have refunded you twice (on card and instore as part of your new purchase). Legally they are entitled to recover the missing money (they may not do this in practice as it may not be financially beneficial).

It sounds like you are concerned on the impact this will have on the kitchen you have bought. If they wanted to they could recover the money by cancelling the order and refunding you minus the £92 (unlikely as they will want to make sure that they keep that sale). Other than that it's unlikely that they will do anything else.

Morally I would say whoever's mistake it is you have still got something that you have not paid for and so it is stealing. If for example you returned the Toilet and paid in full for the other items (i.e. not as part of an exchange) but the money had not gone back on your card as you had not entered your pin correctly and left the store, then you would have expected them to pay up and wouldn't have left it and said "well it is my fault".

I'm not telling you to pay up I'm just saying.

Op what does it say on the reciept for the items you took away with? Does it show £92 taken off or say £92 refunded or anything or have you just not been charged for certain items that you bought?

Op you should know better than to ask how you can justify diddling them out of money you know you owe them. They spotted the mistake. I think most people would just pay up. What goes around comes around.

Holly1985

To me (having worked in retail) it just sounds like they have lost the … To me (having worked in retail) it just sounds like they have lost the second £92 (that they aparently refunded) in their system with a mess up on the receipts, aslong as you can confirm this with bank statements etc then you have not in any legal way got to re-pay the money they "refunded".So get your bank statements sorted/talk with your bank about the issue and ask B&Q for proof they refunded you twice, they should be able to provide some sort of transaction ID and/or copy of the second "refund" (if they did actually refund you which I highly doubt they did)I would 100% speak to CAB as if B&Q are definetly at fault and you don't owe them anything then in all honesty B&Q are harrasing you!

I've worked in retail and let's say some of the big brands and their billing systems are a joke.

Simply ...

... Do what Holly says!
Edited by: "krazyasif786" 27th Jul 2014

morally you shouldnt keep the money.

you could donate it here palestian childrens relief fund b&q wont ask for it back and youve done a really good thing.
Edited by: "coloradorockies" 27th Jul 2014

You should have posted this as a deal (glitch), got loads of heat and nobody would have mentioned people being fired or b&q going out of business

Original Poster

So i have been told that B&Q will refuse to deliver my kitchen (which was originally paid in full) unless i pay this balance off.
I was half expecting this, but it now means i have to go down to the store again which is out of the way in order to pay this balance as i cannot be done down the phone.
I'm disappointed that my kitchen order which was paid in full was held to ransom for payment of their mistake and that i now have to take time out of my day to go and fix their error...
If the kitchen had been delivered or if i was a normal customer collecting the items, theres nothing they would have been able to do about it...

Looks like I'm in a corner and will have to rectify it to get my kitchen OR go elsewhere and keep getting harassed for the money.

Off to B&Q it is...

Banned

adamck

So i have been told that B&Q will refuse to deliver my kitchen (which was … So i have been told that B&Q will refuse to deliver my kitchen (which was originally paid in full) unless i pay this balance off.I was half expecting this, but it now means i have to go down to the store again which is out of the way in order to pay this balance as i cannot be done down the phone.I'm disappointed that my kitchen order which was paid in full was held to ransom for payment of their mistake and that i now have to take time out of my day to go and fix their error...If the kitchen had been delivered or if i was a normal customer collecting the items, theres nothing they would have been able to do about it...Looks like I'm in a corner and will have to rectify it to get my kitchen OR go elsewhere and keep getting harassed for the money.Off to B&Q it is...

if you paid for you kitchen on a credit card tell them to stick the 92 and you'll claim the money back of your card as they haven't sent the goods.... kitchen transaction has nothing to do with the other one or call there bluff tell the to refund the kitchen money less the 92 as you will spend your money else where on a kitchen

Original Poster

Hmm i would love to, but the whole thing is on one order and the kitchen isn't delivered.
Im just going to bite the bullet and pay up, i haven't got time to re-order a kitchen elsewhere and they where the cheapest!

adamck

Hmm i would love to, but the whole thing is on one order and the kitchen … Hmm i would love to, but the whole thing is on one order and the kitchen isn't delivered.Im just going to bite the bullet and pay up, i haven't got time to re-order a kitchen elsewhere and they where the cheapest!

Lmao.

adamck

Hmm i would love to, but the whole thing is on one order and the kitchen … Hmm i would love to, but the whole thing is on one order and the kitchen isn't delivered.Im just going to bite the bullet and pay up, i haven't got time to re-order a kitchen elsewhere and they where the cheapest!

What did you try benchmarx? Who's installing it? I bet you could get cheaper than b&q.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions