Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Undercover Boss USA? Real Generous Giving or Reality-Based Drama Made For TV? And why no UK Version?

Posted 6th NovEdited by:"lettherebedeals"
So I thought I would start a discussion on Undercover Boss USA? and why is there no UK version? I love this show and for those who watch it, I am sure like myself you can honestly say you have burst into tears more than a few times due to the most generous kindness, forgiveness, understanding these CEO & company directors give to their employees.. not to mention the millions of dollars they give away to these employees they have supposedly only met for one day? but is it all actually genuine or do you think some of it is just drama?

The reason I ask this question is because on this show you see so many employees pouring there hearts out during break-time and sharing some of their most tragic life-experiences to the undercover boss they have just met? Does this really happen in real-life? the truth is NO it doesn't, how many times have you seen in your workplace employees pouring there hearts out to someone they just met on the 1st day, it just never happens which made me question is it all real or not?

The 2nd reason I ask this question is the amount of money these CEO & directors actually give to these employees after just one day? I recently watched an episode where the CEO give $150.000 to one person, not to mention all-inclusive holidays, a new car to... these CEOs people may be millionaires & billionaires but are they actually giving this amount of money away to a person they met for one day only?

I did some brief research into my questions? and there are mixed reviews some say its all actually real but some say it is purely dramatised, but it does seems the giving is real, to a point that for those who was not lucky enough to be a part of the one-day reality TV show whilst the undercover boss was visiting, other employees become extremely jealous of those who have been given so much, but if this is all true, why do we not have something like this in the UK, are the UK CEOs just to tight to give anything away... We have shows like the Apprentice but for a person to get £250.000 they have to work damn hard to get it, and on undercover boss USA these CEOs give this amount of money to a person after just one day, it all seems a little unreal to me.

And how many times do we see people getting fired or bosses been so forgiving of a employee when they should have been fired instantly with no questions asked, I have only ever seen one episode where a person actually got fired and stormed off swearing at the cameras?

What are your thoughts? do you think its real, do you think its just drama and do you think we should have Undercover Boss UK.

Share your views?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
There was a undercover boss uk show

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_Boss_(British_TV_series)

I love watching it. I think most of it is put on for the camera but you never know. Still good to watch.
"Undercover Boss is a television franchise series produced in many countries. It originated in 2009 on the British Channel 4."
Blimey, that's a first for the Ask section.
I well written and thought out piece, which will lead to an intellectual debate.

My answer: Most bosses have for brains
Google: Undercover Boss UK

Channel 4: channel4.com/pro…oss

As to whether or not it was dramatised....probably. It's the same as "Storage Wars UK" and the like. Entertainment.
talset06/11/2019 11:01

There was a undercover boss uk …There was a undercover boss uk showhttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_Boss_(British_TV_series) I love watching it. I think most of it is put on for the camera but you never know. Still good to watch.

I never knew there was a Undercover Boss UK, the USA version is great to watch, but we all have to question whether it is real or not? naturally it all may be true but what I cannot get my head round is why some employees pour there hearts out & share some of their most tragic life-experiences to someone they have just met, it just never happens in real-life not in the UK anyway, have you ever seen new employees pouring their hearts out to someone & sharing their most tragic life-experiences during a dinner break with someone they have just met? I certainly haven't, its not just your average banter either, this is what makes me question its truth or drama. The amount of money these CEOs give away to is astounding, and the employees who was giving so much money stay with the company working a full-time job even though they have just been given almost half a million quid for doing a great job? if someone gave me almost half a million quid for doing a great job, Id say thank you so much, its been a pleasure, see ya, I'm going to live under a palm tree for the rest of my life LOL
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 6th Nov
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 11:33

see ya, I'm going to live under a palm tree for the rest of my life LOL …see ya, I'm going to live under a palm tree for the rest of my life LOL

thats why it would never be you
w1nd06/11/2019 11:45

thats why it would never be you

LOL would you stay working a full time job if someone just gave you almost half a million quid? I know there is showing your gratitude and all that, but would you actually stay with the company if the CEO gave you almost half a million quid for doing a great job LOL
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 11:33

I never knew there was a Undercover Boss UK, the USA version is great to …I never knew there was a Undercover Boss UK, the USA version is great to watch, but we all have to question whether it is real or not? naturally it all may be true but what I cannot get my head round is why some employees pour there hearts out & share some of their most tragic life-experiences to someone they have just met, it just never happens in real-life not in the UK anyway, have you ever seen new employees pouring their hearts out to someone & sharing their most tragic life-experiences during a dinner break with someone they have just met? I certainly haven't, its not just your average banter either, this is what makes me question its truth or drama. The amount of money these CEOs give away to is astounding, and the employees who was giving so much money stay with the company working a full-time job even though they have just been given almost half a million quid for doing a great job? if someone gave me almost half a million quid for doing a great job, Id say thank you so much, its been a pleasure, see ya, I'm going to live under a palm tree for the rest of my life LOL

I think you are reading far too deeply into this. It's an entertainment show made for television. If it was simply "real life" the sort of people who watch these things with a sense of passion would probably find it boring and not watch. Remember that the people featured in these shows KNOW the cameras are pointed at them. Therefore, they behave differently. We all probably would. I'm not suggesting these same people are actors (who knows though, eh?) but they are; to a point; acting.

It's the same with ALL "reality" style shows. It's more than likely organised, scripted and structured to give you the maximum amount of emotional 'Grrr's' and 'Awww's' at the appropriate moments. I absolutely love things like "Can't Pay - W.T.I.A." and "The Undateables" but I am a realist and under no illusion that ALL those involved KNOW a camera is pointed at them - so will behave appropriately, i.e. under direction.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 6th Nov
I don't know, just being cynical but maybe it goes like this: we are going to give you half a million, but its in your salary over the next 20 years (or until retirement)... probably in the small print.

In that time you have to be a brand ambassador blah blah and all the trimmings.

Or you could get a fat cheque in that case I would be out the door
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 11:50

LOL would you stay working a full time job if someone just gave you almost …LOL would you stay working a full time job if someone just gave you almost half a million quid? I know there is showing your gratitude and all that, but would you actually stay with the company if the CEO gave you almost half a million quid for doing a great job LOL

Believe it or not, yes. There are those of us who put the value of a good job that you love doing over and above the monetary value. I; for one; would take a low paid job that I absolutely looked forward to doing before one that was better paid but I loathed every minute. And if I suddenly became wealthy, why would I give up one of the things in life that made me happy?
plenty of information on Google. There's even former managers that discuss it.
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 11:50

LOL would you stay working a full time job if someone just gave you almost …LOL would you stay working a full time job if someone just gave you almost half a million quid? I know there is showing your gratitude and all that, but would you actually stay with the company if the CEO gave you almost half a million quid for doing a great job LOL

The other side to that would be the "gratitude" one. Morally, just how would that make you look to friends, family, co-workers and the general public if you got your 'windfall' and immediately jack your job in with the employer that has just been so kind to you. The backlash would probably be horrendous and yes, perhaps you could happily live with it. Me however...
Phsycronix06/11/2019 11:59

Believe it or not, yes. There are those of us who put the value of a good …Believe it or not, yes. There are those of us who put the value of a good job that you love doing over and above the monetary value. I; for one; would take a low paid job that I absolutely looked forward to doing before one that was better paid but I loathed every minute. And if I suddenly became wealthy, why would I give up one of the things in life that made me happy?

Yes I can understand that also, I am a strong believer in doing a job you love, its important, and yes I can understand why people would stay after been given so much money, especially if they enjoyed their job so much, truth is I am not sure what I would do in such a situation I was just having a laugh & making a statement, I know I would trim my hours that is for sure and jet off and sit under a palm tree for a good while before my return... America working culture is different to ours, so I can understand why they would stay in a job not to mention they have the sunshine most days anyway and palm trees just a few blocks away, I think if UK employees was given so much money in one big cheque it would be different but cannot say for sure.
Phsycronix06/11/2019 12:07

The other side to that would be the "gratitude" one. Morally, just how …The other side to that would be the "gratitude" one. Morally, just how would that make you look to friends, family, co-workers and the general public if you got your 'windfall' and immediately jack your job in with the employer that has just been so kind to you. The backlash would probably be horrendous and yes, perhaps you could happily live with it. Me however...

That Is true yes, me I do not think I could live with such a backlash to be honest, I actually feel sorry for some people who would have to experience the backlash of such TV shows, like for example taking the minus offer on the chase when someone as just earned £50.000, team game and tactics aside I don't think I could do it nor could I ever STEAL on the show golden balls, Id love to have been on that show but I can honestly hand on the heart say "I could NEVER steal, I would SPLIT" always I really felt for some of the contestants when the other person stole and didn't SPLIT..
This is a very interesting thread you've created and as such, has opportunities to stray 'off topic' which is very easy to do. I would say that I've seen people who have come into money too quickly get destroyed by it. Everyone's circumstances are different. Some are 'made' for money and can handle it easily. Then there are those that have modest lifestyles and literally don't know what to do with it - after all the sunshine holidays, cars and houses are long gone.

Never a truer statement has been made when I say: Money doesn't always equal happiness.

And just to keep the naysayers happy, I'll also add: But it helps!
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 12:14

That Is true yes, me I do not think I could live with such a backlash to …That Is true yes, me I do not think I could live with such a backlash to be honest, I actually feel sorry for some people who would have to experience the backlash of such TV shows, like for example taking the minus offer on tipping point when someone as just earned £20.000, team game and tactics aside I don't think I could do it nor could I ever STEAL on the show golden balls, Id love to have been on that show but I can honestly hand on the heart say "I could NEVER steal, I would SPLIT" always I really felt for some of the contestants when the other person stole and didn't SPLIT..

I loved "Golden Balls." Fantastic game show, that was. I don't know why it disappeared? It really was a talking point wasn't it? I can remember many a conversation regarding the "bleep!" who stole at the end! Hehe.

Back on topic, regarding these 'reality' type shows - I find it quite funny when I talk to (or hear) people commenting about thing's like "TOWIE" as if it's all real? Some get so involved too, to the point of getting quite angry and confrontational. Yet, these same people would find it hilarious to get involved in something like "Eastenders" or "Corrie." They seem to forget it's just an imaginary TV show?
Phsycronix06/11/2019 12:22

This is a very interesting thread you've created and as such, has …This is a very interesting thread you've created and as such, has opportunities to stray 'off topic' which is very easy to do. I would say that I've seen people who have come into money too quickly get destroyed by it. Everyone's circumstances are different. Some are 'made' for money and can handle it easily. Then there are those that have modest lifestyles and literally don't know what to do with it - after all the sunshine holidays, cars and houses are long gone.Never a truer statement has been made when I say: Money doesn't always equal happiness.And just to keep the naysayers happy, I'll also add: But it helps!

I understand yes, I always remember many years ago when a guy in (Essex) I believe won millions on the lottery and not only destroyed his own life but many others to, spending the entire sum within less than a year, drugs, stock cars, prostitutes, gambling and on the list goes, I watched a documentary about it once and it made me feel sick to the stomach, how people could be so self-centred is beyond me, I was only in tears the other night watching Seven Worlds & One Planet, the planet is been destroyed it was heart-breaking to watch, I just wish I had more money to help in some way, be it the planet, the animals, the people, the poverty, the decaying natural world, but humans will never stop, we all get upset and we all wish we could do more.
Phsycronix06/11/2019 12:28

I loved "Golden Balls." Fantastic game show, that was. I don't know why it …I loved "Golden Balls." Fantastic game show, that was. I don't know why it disappeared? It really was a talking point wasn't it? I can remember many a conversation regarding the "bleep!" who stole at the end! Hehe.Back on topic, regarding these 'reality' type shows - I find it quite funny when I talk to (or hear) people commenting about thing's like "TOWIE" as if it's all real? Some get so involved too, to the point of getting quite angry and confrontational. Yet, these same people would find it hilarious to get involved in something like "Eastenders" or "Corrie." They seem to forget it's just an imaginary TV show?

Yeah I wish it would come back I would apply to go on, but I could never steal, not ever, I would split, I'm not quite sure why they stopped it to be honest, or why no one brought it back, I so wish they would bring back "The Price is Right" I loved the 80s show by Leslie Crowther, was my favourite game show ever.
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 12:35

I understand yes, I always remember many years ago when a guy in (Essex) I …I understand yes, I always remember many years ago when a guy in (Essex) I believe won millions on the lottery and not only destroyed his own life but many others to, spending the entire sum within less than a year, drugs, stock cars, prostitutes, gambling and on the list goes, I watched a documentary about it once and it made me feel sick to the stomach, how people could be so self-centred is beyond me, I was only in tears the other night watching Seven Worlds & One Planet, the planet is been destroyed it was heart-breaking to watch, I just wish I had more money to help in some way, be it the planet, the animals, the people, the poverty, the decaying natural world, but humans will never stop, we all get upset and we all wish we could do more.

I don't know if it's the same person but it's not Michael Carroll that you're mentioning is it?

google.co.uk/sea…g3Y

I sometimes pass where he used to live in Norfolk. I'm not sure where he is now. Scotland, I think. I guess you could say; in his case; it was 'fun' while it lasted! I just can't for the life of me fathom how someone 'could' blow their way through 10 million so easily? Yes, I know things aren't cheap (especially narcotics) but even so - 10 mill? I seriously wouldn't know how to spend that sort of money with a 'working class' background.
Actually, forget my last comment. I've just been reading the first story on that Google link - the Sun (yes, I know!) from February of this year and I can see where all the money went. Wow! What a 'bender' he must have been on...
Phsycronix06/11/2019 12:57

Actually, forget my last comment. I've just been reading the first story …Actually, forget my last comment. I've just been reading the first story on that Google link - the Sun (yes, I know!) from February of this year and I can see where all the money went. Wow! What a 'bender' he must have been on...

Yes I watched the documentary some years ago, it made me feel sick to the stomach, but I just found this article published in Feb 2019, he seems he does not have any money left he is now a coal man.

Where is he now?
lettherebedeals06/11/2019 13:03

Yes I watched the documentary some years ago, it made me feel sick to the …Yes I watched the documentary some years ago, it made me feel sick to the stomach, but I just found this article published in Feb 2019, he seems he does not have any money left he is now a coal man. Where is he now?

Hehe. That's the one I just read. Well, in his own words: Easy come, easy go. As he rightly says, he didn't 'lose' the money - he spent it! Silly guy but each to their own. I guess he enjoyed it while it lasted. Hell of a story to read though. As one comment said, he'd probably make another fortune writing a book (or getting someone to write one) about his exploits. You just know inquisitive people would buy it.

Better to burn out than fade away, he'd say...
I watched Undercover Boss UK when it aired years ago.. there were quite a few series ranging from Npower,Poundworld and Pizza Go Go.
They used to get some money and gifts from the UK version.. my personal highlight was a council in London which gave them a pen
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants