Understanding eBay

Posted 9th Jun 2020
hello. I'm fairly new to eBay and don't really understand it. There was a bed(see photo). I lost out with a bid of £61. The highest bidder had a bid of £63. Now it's been listed with "reserve not met". The reserve was not £50?

I've just messaged the seller and he/she says the reserve is £90 and the highest bidder pulled out. Help
3481917-cF7lI.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
Seems like the seller was expecting more and when the auction finished they cancelled the sale - relished now with a reserve
Happens a lot to be fair
nrackham7609/06/2020 18:28

Seems like the seller was expecting more and when the auction finished …Seems like the seller was expecting more and when the auction finished they cancelled the sale - relished now with a reserve

Ok the £50 is the reserve? It's the same with the new advert!
The reserve is not the £50 only the seller knows how much the reserve is, once the reserve is met the reserve will no longer show
The minimum starting bid is £50 to get the ball rolling. However they will not sell unless the final bid when the auction ends exceeds £90.
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC09/06/2020 18:39

The minimum starting bid is £50 to get the ball rolling. However they will …The minimum starting bid is £50 to get the ball rolling. However they will not sell unless the final bid when the auction ends exceeds £90.

Oh I'm with you! I thought that was the reserve. What's the point eBay allowing bods underneath the reserve?

She said to me the highest bidder pulled out. He won with a bid of £63. She said he cancelled the transaction. I thought shilling was going on and a friend etc won and that's why relisted
john_chappell09/06/2020 18:41

Oh I'm with you! I thought that was the reserve. What's the point eBay …Oh I'm with you! I thought that was the reserve. What's the point eBay allowing bods underneath the reserve?She said to me the highest bidder pulled out. He won with a bid of £63. She said he cancelled the transaction. I thought shilling was going on and a friend etc won and that's why relisted

Ebay charge 4% to add a reserve, they dont care if it sells or of it doesn't as long as they get paid. Bit silly adding a reserve , you may as well just start the bidding at the reserve price for free if you are not a business seller.
41034405-brgSw.jpg
john_chappell09/06/2020 18:41

Oh I'm with you! I thought that was the reserve. What's the point eBay …Oh I'm with you! I thought that was the reserve. What's the point eBay allowing bods underneath the reserve?She said to me the highest bidder pulled out. He won with a bid of £63. She said he cancelled the transaction. I thought shilling was going on and a friend etc won and that's why relisted

She may have very well had a friend try to bid up to her desired price (£90) and then the friend can just cancel the sale price f they accidentally win, and she decided to just try again and use the reserve function this time.
In any case it's pretty clear she won't let it go unless it gets to her reserve.
RandomUser4209/06/2020 18:47

She may have very well had a friend try to bid up to her desired price …She may have very well had a friend try to bid up to her desired price (£90) and then the friend can just cancel the sale price f they accidentally win, and she decided to just try again and use the reserve function this time. In any case it's pretty clear she won't let it go unless it gets to her reserve.

Ok but I don't understand why not put the "getting going price" up close to £90. Shilling is not allowed on eBay. Wasting people's time!
matthews947909/06/2020 18:46

Ebay charge 4% to add a reserve, they dont care if it sells or of it …Ebay charge 4% to add a reserve, they dont care if it sells or of it doesn't as long as they get paid. Bit silly adding a reserve , you may as well just start the bidding at the reserve price for free if you are not a business seller.

Avoid sellers like this, bed didn't what they were expecting so they most likely pulled out of the sale wasting the buyers time.

They will either waste your time if you don't bid what they are expecting or push your bid up with shill bidding by themselves or someone they know bidding on the auction so you end up over paying.

My advice is find another bed.
john_chappell09/06/2020 18:50

Ok but I don't understand why not put the "getting going price" up close …Ok but I don't understand why not put the "getting going price" up close to £90. Shilling is not allowed on eBay. Wasting people's time!

Sellers choose a low start price, or "get going price" as you call it, in order to generate interest, in the same way that an auctioneer in a real life auction would accept a low bid just to kick things off and start the bidding.
Tbh, if I decided to have a £90 reserve on an item I was selling, I would start it at 99p, just to get peoples attention!
Delbert.Grady09/06/2020 19:07

Sellers choose a low start price, or "get going price" as you call it, in …Sellers choose a low start price, or "get going price" as you call it, in order to generate interest, in the same way that an auctioneer in a real life auction would accept a low bid just to kick things off and start the bidding.Tbh, if I decided to have a £90 reserve on an item I was selling, I would start it at 99p, just to get peoples attention!

So the guy with the £63 bid didn't win the first auction?

41034835-D9oOx.jpg
john_chappell09/06/2020 19:15

So the guy with the £63 bid didn't win the first auction? [Image]

It depends on whether the first auction actually had a reserve of £90 (the £50 is just the start price).
Did the first auction say "Reserve not met" when you bid. If not then it didn't have a reserve and the guy with the £63 actually did win but either the seller was not happy with accepting £63 and so cancelled it, or it was shill bid.
Delbert.Grady09/06/2020 19:39

It depends on whether the first auction actually had a reserve of £90 (the …It depends on whether the first auction actually had a reserve of £90 (the £50 is just the start price).Did the first auction say "Reserve not met" when you bid. If not then it didn't have a reserve and the guy with the £63 actually did win but either the seller was not happy with accepting £63 and so cancelled it, or it was shill bid.

No it didn't say anything and I was bidding!
they might sell for £80
john_chappell09/06/2020 19:52

No it didn't say anything and I was bidding!

In that case the £63 bid won but either the seller wasn't happy with that and cancelled or the bidder pulled out or, most likely, it was a shill bid.
From your screenshots it appears the £63 bid was placed an hour before the end of the auction (and an hour before your bid) so most likely the seller was concerned the bed would go for a song (£50) and so stuck in a shill bid to prevent that.
Also, the winning bidder / shill bidder probably didn't bid £63, they almost certainly bid higher but eBay will just increase the bid to the next increment which at this price range is £2, so you bid £61, and the bid increases to £63.
Its also worth mentioning that often, if the bidding gets close to the reserve, the seller may decide to let it go for that rather than have all the hassle of relisting.
I'll also add that your bid of £61 was fair, I've bought a lot of 2nd hand furniture and it doesn't go for much, £60 to £70 is pretty much tops what I would pay for a single divan bed with 2 drawers underneath and a decent, clean mattress.
I can't see them getting £90 for this.
Good luck!
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 9th Jun
Delbert.Grady09/06/2020 20:40

In that case the £63 bid won but either the seller wasn't happy with that …In that case the £63 bid won but either the seller wasn't happy with that and cancelled or the bidder pulled out or, most likely, it was a shill bid. From your screenshots it appears the £63 bid was placed an hour before the end of the auction (and an hour before your bid) so most likely the seller was concerned the bed would go for a song (£50) and so stuck in a shill bid to prevent that.Also, the winning bidder / shill bidder probably didn't bid £63, they almost certainly bid higher but eBay will just increase the bid to the next increment which at this price range is £2, so you bid £61, and the bid increases to £63.Its also worth mentioning that often, if the bidding gets close to the reserve, the seller may decide to let it go for that rather than have all the hassle of relisting.I'll also add that your bid of £61 was fair, I've bought a lot of 2nd hand furniture and it doesn't go for much, £60 to £70 is pretty much tops what I would pay for a single divan bed with 2 drawers underneath and a decent, clean mattress.I can't see them getting £90 for this.Good luck!

Yes that's what I thought. Especially for a second hand bed during a Pandemic. Thanks for you help
nrackham7609/06/2020 18:28

Seems like the seller was expecting more and when the auction finished …Seems like the seller was expecting more and when the auction finished they cancelled the sale - relished now with a reserve

can you cancel the sale after its been won by a bidder? didnt think that was allowed/possible
EN1GMA10/06/2020 09:44

can you cancel the sale after its been won by a bidder? didnt think that …can you cancel the sale after its been won by a bidder? didnt think that was allowed/possible

If the bidder was a friend/relative anything is possible

From what I've read if the highest bidder was genuine and paid quickly then the the seller can only cancel with the buyers permission. The buyer then could report to eBay and leave negative feedback.
I understand the seller wants the top price for the item. But for me its nothing more then fraud(shilling) and the reason I'm not a fan of eBay. You wait all week for second hand bed during a Pandemic, offer a decent bid and they have friends/relative ensuring you can't win it
john_chappell10/06/2020 10:24

If the bidder was a friend/relative anything is possible From what …If the bidder was a friend/relative anything is possible From what I've read if the highest bidder was genuine and paid quickly then the the seller can only cancel with the buyers permission. The buyer then could report to eBay and leave negative feedback. I understand the seller wants the top price for the item. But for me its nothing more then fraud(shilling) and the reason I'm not a fan of eBay. You wait all week for second hand bed during a Pandemic, offer a decent bid and they have friends/relative ensuring you can't win it

So technically people can cancel before youve paid? That's Abit dodgy.
Delbert.Grady09/06/2020 20:40

In that case the £63 bid won but either the seller wasn't happy with that …In that case the £63 bid won but either the seller wasn't happy with that and cancelled or the bidder pulled out or, most likely, it was a shill bid. From your screenshots it appears the £63 bid was placed an hour before the end of the auction (and an hour before your bid) so most likely the seller was concerned the bed would go for a song (£50) and so stuck in a shill bid to prevent that.Also, the winning bidder / shill bidder probably didn't bid £63, they almost certainly bid higher but eBay will just increase the bid to the next increment which at this price range is £2, so you bid £61, and the bid increases to £63.Its also worth mentioning that often, if the bidding gets close to the reserve, the seller may decide to let it go for that rather than have all the hassle of relisting.I'll also add that your bid of £61 was fair, I've bought a lot of 2nd hand furniture and it doesn't go for much, £60 to £70 is pretty much tops what I would pay for a single divan bed with 2 drawers underneath and a decent, clean mattress.I can't see them getting £90 for this.Good luck!

Your comment is very interesting. A mate tried to explain that to me but I didn't understand him. I understand that completely. Any tips on spotting shill bids or how to win auctions greatly appreciated!
EN1GMA10/06/2020 09:44

can you cancel the sale after its been won by a bidder? didnt think that …can you cancel the sale after its been won by a bidder? didnt think that was allowed/possible

Unfortunately you can cancel a sale after it’s been won/paid for etc. It’s too easy to be honest and the only thing you can do as a buyer is leave negative feedback...
nrackham7610/06/2020 11:01

Unfortunately you can cancel a sale after it’s been won/paid for etc. It’s …Unfortunately you can cancel a sale after it’s been won/paid for etc. It’s too easy to be honest and the only thing you can do as a buyer is leave negative feedback...

and I thought once the bid was won, it was a legal obligation to go through with it?
EN1GMA10/06/2020 12:05

and I thought once the bid was won, it was a legal obligation to go …and I thought once the bid was won, it was a legal obligation to go through with it?

Yes but if the seller cancels due to the item no longer being available/damaged/or other then it basically cancels out any agreement
Reserve price auctions are not a very good option for sellers. On at least one occasion I have put in a bid on one that was probably higher than the reserve but because I was the only one bidding it never got anywhere near so we both missed out.
fablanta10/06/2020 18:47

Reserve price auctions are not a very good option for sellers. On at least …Reserve price auctions are not a very good option for sellers. On at least one occasion I have put in a bid on one that was probably higher than the reserve but because I was the only one bidding it never got anywhere near so we both missed out.

I think if you bid higher than the reserve it jumps straight up to the reserve amount.
SavvyShopper10/06/2020 18:51

I think if you bid higher than the reserve it jumps straight up to the …I think if you bid higher than the reserve it jumps straight up to the reserve amount.

really? I’m not sure that can be true
Mendoza10/06/2020 19:25

really? I’m not sure that can be true

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember it happening in the past with a bid I placed where the next highest bid was nowhere near that amount.
SavvyShopper10/06/2020 18:51

I think if you bid higher than the reserve it jumps straight up to the …I think if you bid higher than the reserve it jumps straight up to the reserve amount.

You're right, I've had that happen in the past as well, not sure if it still works like that though.
Post a comment
@
    Text