Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)

Edited by:"Quicklite"Found 23rd Sep 2017
Hi guys,

Quick question. My kitchen is normally tidy / has no food left around openly. However, just switched on the light, there appears to been a small fast moving object, going under a gap into next to a kitchen cupboard (to the area underneath it, which one can't see what's there. Think it might be a rat / something to that effect.

Pardon me for putting this so directly. One is not exactly keen on having Ratatouille / Micky Mouse as surprise flatmates / as I'm not certain they'll agree to help with the rent. Keen to get a handle on this asap as it's the first I've seen of them; keen for them to not make more franchise character anytime soon (they're pretty fast with sequels).

What does one do? Would the council be the people to pay to sort these sort of things out (e.g. about £40-50 I imagine), or would one allowed to get those rat kits from Amazon? (if so does this look workable? goo.gl/M6BYdP)

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

The one you've linked is simply a box to place poison in.

Great if you want to kill the rodent, problem is where does it die?
I don't like the prospect of a small rodent to decompose somewhere I can't access.

I prefer to actually kill the rodent with traditional spring loaded trap, probably frowned upon these days though....

IF your opting for the 'killer trap' bait it with chocolate, small piece of dairy milk etc.

I agree with Andy. Although not 'humane' method, if you want rid for good an old fashioned spring loaded trap is best. (Peanut butter is a good choice of bait).
I tried the 'humane' traps a while back when we had mice in our garage. Not humane in the slightest! Poor thing lost control of all internal movements and had a heart attack in there (trap was checked every few hours).
I personally would rather they were despatched of quickly and with no suffering. 🐀

Original Poster

andynicol13 m ago

The one you've linked is simply a box to place poison in.Great if you want …The one you've linked is simply a box to place poison in.Great if you want to kill the rodent, problem is where does it die? I don't like the prospect of a small rodent to decompose somewhere I can't access.I prefer to actually kill the rodent with traditional spring loaded trap, probably frowned upon these days though....IF your opting for the 'killer trap' bait it with chocolate, small piece of dairy milk etc.

Good point about it's journey wondering into the sunset / causing further uncertainty / odd smell down the road from unknown places.

This seems very crude / messy / probably frowned upon - though seems the proven solution? Happy to throw in some good quality cheddar if that helps the little chap - goo.gl/T8KeKk

The alternative I can think of might be this: goo.gl/b4MYK7 (except my bank manager might off me instead if I spend that much on this). Edit: just seen the photos for this electric one. Very grim. The above spring solution / more disposible solution has merits I think.
Edited by: "Quicklite" 23rd Sep 2017

doubt its a rat if its small,you sure it wasnt a spider,they are as big as mice these days,

Quicklite12 m ago

Good point about it's journey wondering into the sunset / causing further …Good point about it's journey wondering into the sunset / causing further uncertainty / odd smell down the road from unknown places. This seems very crude / messy / probably frowned upon - though seems the proven solution? Happy to throw in some good quality cheddar if that helps the little chap - https://goo.gl/T8KeKk The alternative I can think of might be this: https://goo.gl/b4MYK7 (except my bank manager might off me instead if I spend that much on this). Edit: just seen the photos for this electric one. Very grim. The above spring solution / more disposible solution has merits.

Hi Quicklite,

You don't have to spend a lot, these will do the job - amazon.co.uk/Lit…rap

We live in a very old house in the country and have a few 'visitors' arrive about this time every year as it starts getting cold. Bait these with a little bit of peanut butter, they love it and it sticks better than cheese. These are more humane than poison and as mentioned above allow you to get rid of them before they start smelling

Good luck

Original Poster

jamstaruk19722 m ago

doubt its a rat if its small,you sure it wasnt a spider,they are as big as …doubt its a rat if its small,you sure it wasnt a spider,they are as big as mice these days,

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

What you must do is find out where they are getting in. Check around pipework -a very small gap (much less than you would imagine) is all they need. Plug all gaps - I'm not sure how effective expanding foam is but it would be a good start. It's unlikely a mouse would start gnawing the set foam off it hasn't been in the house before.
If you don't find their access points and block them you will be stuck in a cycle of trapping them.

Discussion here on screwfix community about blocking gaps -re mice. Worth a read.
Mice

Get a 3 pack of mouse traps from Poundland, bait with peanut butter and place against walls/units (bait side against wall -mice tend to run around edges). That should take care of the problem, then look into how they got in etc.

chuckiedoll12 h, 53 m ago

I agree with Andy. Although not 'humane' method, if you want rid for good …I agree with Andy. Although not 'humane' method, if you want rid for good an old fashioned spring loaded trap is best. (Peanut butter is a good choice of bait).I tried the 'humane' traps a while back when we had mice in our garage. Not humane in the slightest! Poor thing lost control of all internal movements and had a heart attack in there (trap was checked every few hours). I personally would rather they were despatched of quickly and with no suffering. 🐀

How do you know it had a heart attack? Did PETA carried out a post mortem on it?

Rather than kill it, and to save yourself looking for where it's coming into the house, try something like a plug-in ultrasonic pest deterrent. We had mice and birds in the garage a few years back, put one in there and now we get nothing. Not even spiders!

craigstephens44 m ago

How do you know it had a heart attack? Did PETA carried out a post mortem …How do you know it had a heart attack? Did PETA carried out a post mortem on it?

Of course!

We had a mouse a couple of years ago. Tried the humane traps for a couple of weeks (the trap and release type) and they were rubbish. I got some spring loaded traps from Poundland and the same night as I put them down the problem was solved. I used the classic cheese as bait

If it keeps appearing day in day out then leave it out a rent book, that will soon get rid off it

Agree about the Poundland traps. Don't look like much but did the job. Used chocolate on them.

Mice absolutely stink when they are decomposing. If I leave one out for my snake/turtle etc for more than a day to defrost it's rancid.
I would get the council or landlord if you rent privately. The council will do it professionally whereas the box or anything you buy from anywhere else regardless of price won't be professional. There's easily a chance it won't work unless your a exterminator so I would definitely get the council out asap

32083869-prabJ.jpgget one of these, used a similar one many years back in our garage

just ebay "seesaw trap" if you can't be bothered going shopping

I used chocolate peanuts if I remember correctly but anything will work
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions