Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there is a fee to pay,

Posted 13th Oct
Hi.. on Saturday I recieved a letter ( card ) saying I have a Item from my local sorting office saying there was a custom charge of £12.17 before I could collect it ..I've racked my brains and can't think of what I've ordered from abroad. the only thing I have ordered from America was some Oregano oil which was postage paid.. could this be a scam? Cant see how but just wondering if it has happened to anyone else?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Your American Oregano oil has been caught by the lovely people at HMRC. Postage paid is just the trip across the ocean to the UK. It probably didn’t include VAT paid once it reached here. (Charged at 20%) Then, because Royal Mail pay this for you for the package to clear customs, they charge you an £8 admin fee on top.

If you ordered from within the EU, you’d have no charges to pay because VAT is paid in the country you purchase from. (At the moment anyway. Will all change once Brexit happens and then it will work like your order from the US)

Your order has to be below a certain threshold to avoid having any charges when importing from outside the EU. (Under £15 usually). The .Gov website has all the info you need to know about this. gov.uk/goo…oad
If it's a customs charge then there's an £8 handling fee from Royal Mail and the remaining £4.17 would be import VAT. This means the item would be worth around £20.85? A lot of assumptions here but maybe that will sound familiar?
34 Comments
How do you have to pay?
Nothing ordered from the many Chinese websites that try to imply they are UK sellers ?
If the oil has been sent out with insufficient postage paid then it could very well be that...
If it's a customs charge then there's an £8 handling fee from Royal Mail and the remaining £4.17 would be import VAT. This means the item would be worth around £20.85? A lot of assumptions here but maybe that will sound familiar?
Postage may have been paid but was the import tax and vat?
speedy201913/10/2019 23:32

If the oil has been sent out with insufficient postage paid then it could …If the oil has been sent out with insufficient postage paid then it could very well be that...

Customs charge for insufficient postage ? Must try harder . As my teacher used to say .
Edited by: "rogparki" 13th Oct
Your American Oregano oil has been caught by the lovely people at HMRC. Postage paid is just the trip across the ocean to the UK. It probably didn’t include VAT paid once it reached here. (Charged at 20%) Then, because Royal Mail pay this for you for the package to clear customs, they charge you an £8 admin fee on top.

If you ordered from within the EU, you’d have no charges to pay because VAT is paid in the country you purchase from. (At the moment anyway. Will all change once Brexit happens and then it will work like your order from the US)

Your order has to be below a certain threshold to avoid having any charges when importing from outside the EU. (Under £15 usually). The .Gov website has all the info you need to know about this. gov.uk/goo…oad
Dont ever buy anything from the US unless your willing to pay big taxes.
Biddy213/10/2019 23:42

Your American Oregano oil has been caught by the lovely people at HMRC. …Your American Oregano oil has been caught by the lovely people at HMRC. Postage paid is just the trip across the ocean to the UK. It probably didn’t include VAT paid once it reached here. (Charged at 20%) Then, because Royal Mail pay this for you for the package to clear customs, they charge you an £8 admin fee on top. If you ordered from within the EU, you’d have no charges to pay because VAT is paid in the country you purchase from. (At the moment anyway. Will all change once Brexit happens and then it will work like your order from the US) Your order has to be below a certain threshold to avoid having any charges when importing from outside the EU. (Under £15 usually). The .Gov website has all the info you need to know about this. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

Thank you.
deleted90213913/10/2019 23:27

Nothing ordered from the many Chinese websites that try to imply they are …Nothing ordered from the many Chinese websites that try to imply they are UK sellers ?

No, cant think of any..

If the oil has been sent out with insufficient postage paid then it could …If the oil has been sent out with insufficient postage paid then it could very well be that...

Thanks.

Thank you.
lyesbkz13/10/2019 23:33

If it's a customs charge then there's an £8 handling fee from Royal Mail …If it's a customs charge then there's an £8 handling fee from Royal Mail and the remaining £4.17 would be import VAT. This means the item would be worth around £20.85? A lot of assumptions here but maybe that will sound familiar?

Wadda13/10/2019 23:34

Postage may have been paid but was the import tax and vat?

Thank you.
deleted90213913/10/2019 23:35

Customs charge for insufficient postage ? Must try harder . As my …Customs charge for insufficient postage ? Must try harder . As my teacher used to say .

Thank you.
deals6914/10/2019 07:31

Is that even possible to pay on Amazon?

I thought you were asking where I bought the oil ? Assuming it is the oil. The payment is at the local sorting office.. Don't know if they accept cash these days.
Pay it at the sorting office
ding14/10/2019 07:54

Pay it at the sorting office

Yep ..or over the phone.
if you bought it from amazon.com didnt they do the global shipping where the full customs fees are included, check your account and see you might be able to get it back from Amazon.
eslick14/10/2019 08:04

if you bought it from amazon.com didnt they do the global shipping where …if you bought it from amazon.com didnt they do the global shipping where the full customs fees are included, check your account and see you might be able to get it back from Amazon.

Thank's ..I'm going to collect it this morning and if it is the oil I'll ring Amazon..
eslick14/10/2019 08:04

if you bought it from amazon.com didnt they do the global shipping where …if you bought it from amazon.com didnt they do the global shipping where the full customs fees are included, check your account and see you might be able to get it back from Amazon.

I think you mean Amazon.co.uk. I believe all overseas purchases have to be guaranteed against any further customs charges.
whiteston14/10/2019 17:50

I think you mean Amazon.co.uk. I believe all overseas purchases have to …I think you mean Amazon.co.uk. I believe all overseas purchases have to be guaranteed against any further customs charges.

No I don’t if you purchase from amazon.com they provide global shipping, this includes a charge for custom fees, if the fee is higher they pay it, if it’s less they refund you after a couple of months. Hence if the Op has bought from amazon.com and not a third party they shouldn’t pay fees.

amazon.com/gp/…011
eslick14/10/2019 18:32

No I don’t if you purchase from amazon.com they provide global shipping, t …No I don’t if you purchase from amazon.com they provide global shipping, this includes a charge for custom fees, if the fee is higher they pay it, if it’s less they refund you after a couple of months. Hence if the Op has bought from amazon.com and not a third party they shouldn’t pay fees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mh_s9_acss_cg_AISHELP_4b1_w?nodeId=201910710&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-2&pf_rd_r=PDW1ANE9ZX4B56XX8ZME&pf_rd_t=1201&pf_rd_p=34414a59-bd82-4c17-a63f-f476bdd0736b&pf_rd_i=17416544011

Sorry, yes you are correct. If you buy through Amazon.co.uk though I believe that you are covered for any potential custom fees. It is in the marketplace traders agrrement they sign with Amazon. They are seen as the importer rather than you as a buyer and therefore have to cover the duty.

We're probably talking about the same thing.
eslick14/10/2019 18:32

No I don’t if you purchase from amazon.com they provide global shipping, t …No I don’t if you purchase from amazon.com they provide global shipping, this includes a charge for custom fees, if the fee is higher they pay it, if it’s less they refund you after a couple of months. Hence if the Op has bought from amazon.com and not a third party they shouldn’t pay fees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mh_s9_acss_cg_AISHELP_4b1_w?nodeId=201910710&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-2&pf_rd_r=PDW1ANE9ZX4B56XX8ZME&pf_rd_t=1201&pf_rd_p=34414a59-bd82-4c17-a63f-f476bdd0736b&pf_rd_i=17416544011

It was the oil I purchased from Amazon uk.. I collected it this morning from the sorting office and the fella said the past office charged £8 for handling and the rest was a charge from customs.
Masonic11114/10/2019 18:45

It was the oil I purchased from Amazon uk.. I collected it this morning …It was the oil I purchased from Amazon uk.. I collected it this morning from the sorting office and the fella said the past office charged £8 for handling and the rest was a charge from customs.

Ah thought you had bought it from the .com site
eslick14/10/2019 18:59

Ah thought you had bought it from the .com site

It was Amazon.co.uk. I thought they were all the same. It says postage paid. And I also pay for amazon prime each year.. This Item was not prime I got the first one a few weeks back from the same people and had no problem with it .. It was delivered in about 2 weeks..
Masonic11114/10/2019 19:14

It was Amazon.co.uk. I thought they were all the same. It says postage …It was Amazon.co.uk. I thought they were all the same. It says postage paid. And I also pay for amazon prime each year.. This Item was not prime I got the first one a few weeks back from the same people and had no problem with it .. It was delivered in about 2 weeks..

Must have been over £15 this time or you were lucky the first time or unlucky this one
eslick14/10/2019 19:16

Must have been over £15 this time or you were lucky the first time or …Must have been over £15 this time or you were lucky the first time or unlucky this one

Price:£41.08 (£41.08 / oz) & FREE delivery. bought from the same people last time?
Edited by: "Masonic111" 14th Oct
Masonic11114/10/2019 19:21

Price:£41.08 (£41.08 / oz) & FREE delivery. bought from the same people l …Price:£41.08 (£41.08 / oz) & FREE delivery. bought from the same people last time?

Luck then try amazon.com next time uses your same log in but will calculate the custom fees
eslick14/10/2019 19:22

Luck then try amazon.com next time uses your same log in but will …Luck then try amazon.com next time uses your same log in but will calculate the custom fees

Thank you...
Masonic11114/10/2019 19:21

Price:£41.08 (£41.08 / oz) & FREE delivery. bought from the same people l …Price:£41.08 (£41.08 / oz) & FREE delivery. bought from the same people last time?

If you purchase from amazon.co.uk, I believe the price include all fee.

I was about to purchase an £90 item on amazon uk, but notice the seller company is from US.
I had a live chat with amazon customer service. Amazon confirm all fee included.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants