Unfranked stamps - fair to use them or theft from RM?

Found 26th Apr 2012
I was wondering whether people on here think that if you receive a letter or parcel with unfranked stamps on then it's ok to peel them off and re-use the stamps (if Royal Mail are inept enough not to frank them then it's their fault and re-using them is fair game) or whether you think it's theft (using a service which hasn't been paid for).
Community Updates
Misc
38 Comments
Deception
Suffering from a moral dilemma are you
Just as bad as the stupid questions on MSE
It is people that do this is the reason why RM have increased their prices X)

Surely, life isn't that hard that people have to resort to steaming off stamps to save a few pence. I've often received packages with such stamps and still been clobbered with fees at my end for insufficient postage paid.

The worst ones are those that cut the stamps out and send them that way. You can guess who the culprits are...tight fisted fraudsters on ebay.
i have thought about it before but never been bothered to mess around

its morally corrupt but who isnt these days?
punkstoner1

PS Benefit takers will recieve 1/3 off the new prices. Now on eBay not … PS Benefit takers will recieve 1/3 off the new prices. Now on eBay not only will you have to compete with the chinese, you will also have to compete with the benefit wallas who will be able to offer delivery for 30% less.

youre not telling me all benefits people are getting 30% off all stamps with no limits etc?

link?
Edited by moderator: "quoted edit" 26th Apr 2012
Never had you down as a teef ss
punkstoner1

"If you are on benefits, you do not need to worry about stocking up on … "If you are on benefits, you do not need to worry about stocking up on stamps to use at Christmas. Royal Mail has said the cost of posting Christmas cards in 2012 will be the same as last year for consumers on pension credit and employment and support allowance or incapacity benefit."http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2012/apr/06/stamps-price-royal-mail?newsfeed=truehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107908/Outrage-Royal-Mail-plan-offer-cheaper-stamps-million-claiming-benefits.html"Outrage over Royal Mail plan to offer cheaper stamps to five million claiming benefitsBenefit claimants will be able to buy stamps at 2011 prices under plans Royal mail bringing in April price hikes"Prooofs delivared. Now in return, send nudez.

so there are no details yet then....just proposed plans to let benefits users purchase stamps for xmas cards at 2011 prices.

nudez denied

and what is with all this stockpiling business the goverment is encouraging these days....stamps, petrol....cornish pasties
punkstoner1

No limits. Who decides whats a christmas card? will they have a stupid … No limits. Who decides whats a christmas card? will they have a stupid test like those slots they use to say your packet is actually a parcel, and charge you more?No limits.Nudez earned. Wheel the wife out.I've been stockpiling tinned goods for years. Collapse is coming.

I heard that the limit was 36x stamps for people on benefits at the 2011 price, though who's to say they couldn't go from one post office to the next to buy them.
If people are that worried about the price rise of stamps for their Christmas cards, then just buy them now. It's that simple!

EDIT: The limit will be 36x stamps telegraph.co.uk/new…tml
sickly sweet

I heard that the limit was 36x stamps for people on benefits at the 2011 … I heard that the limit was 36x stamps for people on benefits at the 2011 price, though who's to say they couldn't go from one post office to the next to buy them.If people are that worried about the price rise of stamps for their Christmas cards, then just buy them now. It's that simple!EDIT: The limit will be 36x stamps http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-mail/9183804/Royal-Mail-rationing-cut-price-Christmas-stamps-to-pensioners.html

i think thats the point, people on benefits dont have the spare funds to stock pile like people who are working.
casparwhite

i think thats the point, people on benefits dont have the spare funds to … i think thats the point, people on benefits dont have the spare funds to stock pile like people who are working.

I can see that, especially for pensioners who I recon are the most likely to be sending Christmas cards in the post - I get loads from older people but my generation don't tend to bother as much and if they do it tends to be handing the cards to each other rather than posting.
Op until 2007 this was considered treason along with also placing a stamp upside down, punishable by death.
theft end of
this is like the BBC thing, no one wants to pay the going rate but ready to complain when its not all perfect

No to price raise, lets reuse stamps = "God RM are totally pants"

Licence fee is too much = why no free sport?, why all the repeats?

u get what u pay for
deek72

Never had you down as a teef ss

bet £100 she would never do it she is too honest
Punk stoner for prime minister
miles136

bet £100 she would never do it she is too honest

Do you know her personally?
This was on the radio the other week. RM have said its fraud to re-use unfranked stamps and will prosecute anyone selling unfranked stamps for commercial gain (apparently you can buy them on Ebay).....
gari189

This was on the radio the other week. RM have said its fraud to re-use … This was on the radio the other week. RM have said its fraud to re-use unfranked stamps and will prosecute anyone selling unfranked stamps for commercial gain (apparently you can buy them on Ebay).....

Unfranked stamp for sale, 10p + RM Recorded delivery? Bargain.
Do people really do things like this? I wouldn't even notice if a stamp had been franked or not.
From what I have heard they are "zapped" when they go through the automated system so if used again they will be rejected. True or not I don't know.
Ellie Phant

From what I have heard they are "zapped" when they go through the … From what I have heard they are "zapped" when they go through the automated system so if used again they will be rejected. True or not I don't know.

i read something simlar to this where someone got prosecuted for selling zapped stamps....may have been the us

i dont think RM is that technical yet
punkstoner1

PS Benefit takers will recieve 1/3 off the new prices. Now on eBay not … PS Benefit takers will recieve 1/3 off the new prices. Now on eBay not only will you have to compete with the chinese, you will also have to compete with the benefit wallas who will be able to offer delivery for 30% less.

more daily mail misinformation! They are allowed 36 stamps at 30% discount once a year at Christmas!

switch to a proper newspaper mate rather than the crap you seem to read
Edited by: "csiman" 26th Apr 2012
Ellie Phant

From what I have heard they are "zapped" when they go through the … From what I have heard they are "zapped" when they go through the automated system so if used again they will be rejected. True or not I don't know.

contrary to rumour, unfranked stamps are not secretly franked using an invisible method. All franking is, according to Royal Mail, visible.
Yep, Do It!
RM certainly regard it as theft but legally I don't see an issue if it is not voided. That is why they perforate them now - so you can't just peel off as easily.
alternate

RM certainly regard it as theft but legally I don't see an issue if it is … RM certainly regard it as theft but legally I don't see an issue if it is not voided. That is why they perforate them now - so you can't just peel off as easily.

But you sure can steam them - I once stamped up and wrote on an envelope before realising it wasn't big enough for what I wanted to send. I took the stamps off and stuck them on the new one with sellotape - It took a good five minutes of arguing with the person behind the counter in the post office that I wasn't reusing stamps...

In my eyes it's their own fault for not stamping them, but I personally wouldn't do it, no.
dcx_badass

I'm not that poverty stricken.

Are all your comments that stupid? (_;)
csiman

more daily mail misinformation! They are allowed 36 stamps at 30% … more daily mail misinformation! They are allowed 36 stamps at 30% discount once a year at Christmas!switch to a proper newspaper mate rather than the crap you seem to read

can i ask what you regard as a "proper" newspaper?
I buy them off ebay saves a fortune really so I dont see the problem plus it saves Royal Mail having to make as many stamps
casparwhite

The Sport
punkstoner1

I would cut out.1) Free buspasses without strict means testing.2) Most … I would cut out.1) Free buspasses without strict means testing.2) Most motability free cars.3) anyone who had a scooter who could walk, but for the fact they were obese would have the scooter removed.4) Free money would not be given out. Vouchers, tolkens and chits would be given instead. This is across the board.5) Re-introduce the rent lady weekly on council estates. This way, neighbours would quickly establish who was paying and who was scrounging.6) End the support for mortgage interest benefit, and bring on the repo's and a return to sanity in the housing market. Council property would be freed up for those evicted because the property ladder would be moving again.Women would be taxed on earnings at a flat rate of 75%. This would encourage women to stay home, and look after the children, kitchen and bedroom in a return to the traditional role of the wife. This would obviously increase vacancies in the workplace for males. I doubt the increase in the number of jobs would be like for like, as males are usually more efficiant in the workplace than females.I would however legallise prostitution, and tax earnings from that at just 15%.This would encourage more women into the oldest profession, whilst at the same time giving them an easy way of earning a cash income, as all cash benefits would be abolished, replaced by tolkens, vouchers, cards and chittys.

Punk gets my vote for Prime Minister
punkstoner1

I would cut out.1) Free buspasses without strict means testing.2) Most … I would cut out.1) Free buspasses without strict means testing.2) Most motability free cars.3) anyone who had a scooter who could walk, but for the fact they were obese would have the scooter removed.4) Free money would not be given out. Vouchers, tolkens and chits would be given instead. This is across the board.5) Re-introduce the rent lady weekly on council estates. This way, neighbours would quickly establish who was paying and who was scrounging.6) End the support for mortgage interest benefit, and bring on the repo's and a return to sanity in the housing market. Council property would be freed up for those evicted because the property ladder would be moving again.Women would be taxed on earnings at a flat rate of 75%. This would encourage women to stay home, and look after the children, kitchen and bedroom in a return to the traditional role of the wife. This would obviously increase vacancies in the workplace for males. I doubt the increase in the number of jobs would be like for like, as males are usually more efficiant in the workplace than females.I would however legallise prostitution, and tax earnings from that at just 15%.This would encourage more women into the oldest profession, whilst at the same time giving them an easy way of earning a cash income, as all cash benefits would be abolished, replaced by tolkens, vouchers, cards and chittys.

15% for prozzeys more like 50% they have never paid tax b4 they owe loads

you forgot forced sterilisation for scunners
casparwhite

A broadsheet.
Another thread in which PunkStoner rages against people on benefits, while advocating low-risk opportunistic criminal behavior. He really is such a classic Daily Mail reader.
punkstoner1

I think you are looking at the wrong person.The party that would interest … I think you are looking at the wrong person.The party that would interest you came to power in Germany in 1933. Forced sterilisation is most certainly not my thing. Encouraging responsibility however is.

How about contraceptives in Methadone.
Personally i think thats totally legit, they have no right bringing a drug-addicted kid into the world.
And thats not sterilization. It lasts till they sort their life out so all good.
in terms of stamps... if they are not franked they are not used.
I guess i don't need to but i do it all the time. It's just something i have done for 20 odd years so having those little strips just ain't going to fox me X)
ZedEx

A broadsheet.

so which are you recommending?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants