Unhappy with sky router installation - Where do I stand?

Found 12th Aug
So from having Virgin for my phone and broadband and separately having Sky for TV (and getting royally ripped off for both), I recently moved to Sky for all three.
I got fibre max installed, and the openreach engineer (not sky) came round to install a brand new openreach masterhub.

Now I live in a normal small 3 bed mid terrace, with an adjoining rear passage way that leads to the back garden, the engineer told me that me that he could could install the master hub in either of the two downstairs rooms or the street facing upstairs room only.

Now what i really wanted was it to be installed in the middle bedroom which faces the back of the house i.e. garden (where the virgin router used to be), via the back pasageway, but the engineer said he couldn't do that room, he wasn't very clear about it, saying something about it wouldn't reach, a limitation of the connection or something, or he just couldn't do it there.

I ended up getting it installed in the middle downstairs room which is not really what i wanted (see my other thread!) but with my virgin internet ended very shortly I needed to make a decision.

So was the openreach engineer just being lazy? His logic made no sense to me, it was probably another 9-10m of cable. And to fit it in the downstairs middle room room, he had to drill though the back passage wall anyway.

I'm going to complain to sky anyway as his actual cabling was pretty shoddy, with a cable bend that sticks out a long way, but where do I stand with sky with this, can i ask them to re-fit/move the master hub to the room I want it in? Oh and when I pressed him on it, the engineer said he wouldn't do it but a third part engineer might be able to! And obviously for fee!

Btw I'll be honest I didn't realise that the master hub had to have both the phone socket and ADSL connection together, I assumed (because it was fibre) the could be installed seperatley around the house like you can with virgin phone and broadband
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
CoeK7 m ago

You should complain. When I got mine installed the engineer refused to …You should complain. When I got mine installed the engineer refused to drill into my back passageway regardless of the room it was in.

That sounds so wrong
You should complain. When I got mine installed the engineer refused to drill into my back passageway regardless of the room it was in.
17 Comments
Similar thing happened to me, the Bt Hub was installed downstairs, and I did want it upstairs, so I just bought a cable myself, and led it upstairs bringing the router. Surprisingly my 25m cable made the internet faster than the one it came with. Openreach engineers don't normally put the router where you want it, only near the telephone socket.
I’m sure there’s a set amount of cable they use from the point of entry and an extra 9m sounds like a lot of extra time etc.. usually they are only in a house for an hour or 2 longer and you would need to pay more.. my thinking is you won’t like the sky hub anyways why not run rj45 to the room you want and buy a decent router then you will get better performance overall anyway
You should complain. When I got mine installed the engineer refused to drill into my back passageway regardless of the room it was in.
CoeK7 m ago

You should complain. When I got mine installed the engineer refused to …You should complain. When I got mine installed the engineer refused to drill into my back passageway regardless of the room it was in.

That sounds so wrong
rev616 m ago

That sounds so wrong

But yet so right?
Engineer has a maximum time allocated to job & presumably your request would have been in excess of that allocation. Suggestion of 3rd party / independent eng is reasonable, although that will now be an extension, not a master socket relocation. Certainly complain if the physical installation is less than can be reasonably expected, but doubt the master skt will be relocated at no additional charge.
Open reach installs To a property. All cabling begin the faceplate belongs to them, making it their responsibility. Everything after the face plate is yours.
The more installation done inside a property the more your likely to damage it causing them more grief. The fact you even got it in the middle choice was luck.

As for poor wire management how much did you pay for an artisan job? Were you willing to pay for channeling into the wall and redecorating?
pretty sure you should have stood firm when he was there otherwise it's might be interpreted as "acceptance"
don't remember ever seeing any restrictions on installation "point" in T&Cs but you should check there first.
Oneday773 h, 30 m ago

Open reach installs To a property. All cabling begin the faceplate belongs …Open reach installs To a property. All cabling begin the faceplate belongs to them, making it their responsibility. Everything after the face plate is yours. The more installation done inside a property the more your likely to damage it causing them more grief. The fact you even got it in the middle choice was luck. As for poor wire management how much did you pay for an artisan job? Were you willing to pay for channeling into the wall and redecorating?

If a fault is caused by Openreach's cables on your property being physically damaged, then you can be charged a fee for fixing it :- bt.custhelp.com/app…ges
Edited by: "melted" 13th Aug
"Btw I'll be honest I didn't realise that the master hub had to have both the phone socket and ADSL connection together, I assumed (because it was fibre) the could be installed seperatley around the house like you can with virgin phone and broadband"

Fibre Max is an FTTC package, not an FTTP package, so your installation was likely a normal copper phone line and not a fibre cable and optical termination box.

As others have said I suspect as you've allowed the installation to go ahead you may have a hard time persuading Sky to pay openreach to change it. What do the terms and conditions of the service you paid for say?

You don't have to use the master socket for the router or phone, you can connect it to your house's existing telephone wiring, or add new wiring around the house. There should be provision to connect it up to the rear of the new socket so you don't have to have wires flopping around out the front.
CoeK16 h, 33 m ago

Reminds me of Faulty towers ep with the light switch scene ( havent posted incase )

Btw. Im going to be moving soon and have to use ' Seethelight ' I intend on using my own Router AC66U, just hoping the connecting speed is as good as Virgin.
Millionvoltage1 m ago

Reminds me of Faulty towers ep with the light switch scene ( havent posted …Reminds me of Faulty towers ep with the light switch scene ( havent posted incase ) Btw. Im going to be moving soon and have to use ' Seethelight ' I intend on using my own Router AC66U, just hoping the connecting speed is as good as Virgin.

In my experience there is nothing better than a virgin connection.
CoeK5 m ago

In my experience there is nothing better than a virgin connection.

Sadly, its not an option as Virgin isnt subscribed to Seethelight, unless your a buisiness user.
Virgin offers by far the best and quickest broadband in the UK . We have just kept broadband with them and use a mag box now
yozzman123444 m ago

Virgin offers by far the best and quickest broadband in the UK . We have …Virgin offers by far the best and quickest broadband in the UK . We have just kept broadband with them and use a mag box now

Have you just admitted you steal TV on a public forum?.
paulj484 h, 58 m ago

Have you just admitted you steal TV on a public forum?.

Nothing illegal about having a mag box ??? Silly boy
yozzman123455 m ago

Nothing illegal about having a mag box ??? Silly boy

Who said illegal?.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants