Unidentified Network :- XBOX 360 - can't connect via Crrosver cable from PC.

Found 16th Feb 2009
I usually use a wifi adapter in my and have a crossover adapter goign to my pc with ICS being turned on etc. It usuaully works fine with my 360 with maybe the occasional hitch or two but generally it works all the time.

However over the last few days I haven't been able to connect xbox live and my pc keeps reporting that it is an unidentified connection and that it is local only.

It will occasionally work but only occasionally..

It is really starting to anny me and was wondering if anyone could help me?

Thanks,

Tim

5 Comments

Original Poster

bump - noone?

Original Poster

come on people please help

Original Poster

Still experiencing the problem?
I sthere anything obvious that could cause it?

Tim

I guess the question is, what level is the problem at, hardware, or configuration?

What I would do is:

1) Find a patch cable, hook the Xbox 360 up direct to the router, and set it to use its defaults and DHCP to get its network address. This should work. If it doesn't, it might mean that the Xbox's ethernet port is ill.

2) Assuming that works, do the same again with the PC through patch cable to router. Just want to check both ethernet ports work okay.

3) Next, gonna delete all the settings you've got set up already, and startover from scratch. Do you have two network adaptors in the PC, one going to the router, the oter to the Xbox? Or, is your modem attached to your system as a network interface device? If so, rather than using ICS, I'd rather bridge the two network interfaces. It might not be possible. If it is, it might be the best method, if not, it's worth a try.

4) Still no worky, try using a different cable. A Cat6 patch cable will do if you have a 1000mbit network port, since these new ports can automaticaly detect NIC to NIC connections and switch to crossover mode automatically.

If it's sitll no worky, well, at least I tried

Original Poster

dxx;4431474

I guess the question is, what level is the problem at, hardware, or … I guess the question is, what level is the problem at, hardware, or configuration? What I would do is:1) Find a patch cable, hook the Xbox 360 up direct to the router, and set it to use its defaults and DHCP to get its network address. This should work. If it doesn't, it might mean that the Xbox's ethernet port is ill.2) Assuming that works, do the same again with the PC through patch cable to router. Just want to check both ethernet ports work okay.3) Next, gonna delete all the settings you've got set up already, and startover from scratch. Do you have two network adaptors in the PC, one going to the router, the oter to the Xbox? Or, is your modem attached to your system as a network interface device? If so, rather than using ICS, I'd rather bridge the two network interfaces. It might not be possible. If it is, it might be the best method, if not, it's worth a try.4) Still no worky, try using a different cable. A Cat6 patch cable will do if you have a 1000mbit network port, since these new ports can automaticaly detect NIC to NIC connections and switch to crossover mode automatically. If it's sitll no worky, well, at least I tried

I have tried it with an XP Laptop and it seems to work fine.
The PC I am using is getting the internet via a Netgear Wireless WI-FI USB stick.
Whenever I try briding the connections - one will work (usually the wi-fi ) wheras the other won't work.

Tim
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Looking for Xbox one28
    2. Amazon - No more easy returns?68
    3. Shaving Cream Recommendations46
    4. Dell 1250c Printing faint11

See more discussions