Posted 4 June 2013

Unilever list of vegetarian & non-veg. ice-cream

Update 1
Hope you don't mind but I've just done a bit of an updated list of vegetarian ice creams and ice lollies

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/vegetarian-and-vegan-ice-cream-and-ice-lolly-listings-2976637
I called Walls to check if Magnum, Cornetto or Vienetta were suitable for Vegetarians or not. The CSR told me that all Walls ice-creams (except Ben & Jerry's) are not suitable for vegetarians as they use whey powder from a cheese supplier or from calf rennet.

Interestingly, the list suggests that Mini Magnums are veg. I did not ask them about eels but the Careline is on 0800 010109 if someone wants to check.

Hope this info helps clarify the issue.

scribd.com/doc…ist
Community Updates
New Comment

36 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    with regards to the vegetarian side, if the packaging dont have a V sign, i tend to not buy.
    harlzter

NoBut Unliver own both … NoBut Unliver own both brandshttp://www.unilever.co.uk/brands-in-action/view-brands.aspx

I swear there's like three companies that own everything in the world
    Handy. But I aint telling the missus, she's fussy enough already!
    greatest666

Why is whey powder from a cheese supplier not suitable for vegetarians?

Some cheese is made with calf rennet some isn't. As companies sometimes use different suppliers they cannot guarantee which products are vegetarian or not.
    I had a thread a few years ago on here about aspartame and the dangers etc but i think a few more people are starting to realise what actually is an artificial sweetener.
    Author
    darren9030

Frogman are you saying some ice cream contains eels oOWhat the hell can … Frogman are you saying some ice cream contains eels oOWhat the hell can we eat these days

It was reported some years ago that Walls (and others) were using a blood protein that was found in an eel-like fish to keep products semi-solid in frozen conditions. The report went on to say that the blood protein had been commercially synthesised but some believe that the blood derivative is used.

Type your comment here...

harlzter

We have found aspartame causes 3 out of the 4 of us to have upset … We have found aspartame causes 3 out of the 4 of us to have upset stomachs from a couple of glasses of squash in a day (ie gives the squits)

Please note aspartame hides itself under (E951)

(E950) is also a sweetener called Acesulfame potassium
    and E numbers 952 - through to 962 are all artificia sweetenerl.

It play havoc with our tummies and my son problems have improved by deleting this from his diet. I wish more people was aware of this and what it dose to our bodies.
    Author
    Mark2111

Dutch food giant Unilever turned to a more vegetarian-friendly solution. … Dutch food giant Unilever turned to a more vegetarian-friendly solution. Scientists at the corporation genetically manipulated brewer’s yeast to manufacture the antifreeze protein during fermentation.

Thanks, Mark. I think it is a question of trust. I did mention that Unilever had other means of obtaining the protein but many still believe that manufacturers' cut corners to maximise profit. For me, the whey powder being derived from calf rennet was enough.

My other issue is with manufacturers of medicines who use animal gelatine for 'gel caps' as this again is for profit and renders many vitamins & drugs not suitable for vegans or vegetarians as well as some religious groups. But that's another very long discussion...

I am also aware of the issues of sugar & aspartame and wish that the manufacturers would look at natural and vegan alternatives.

The more consumers vote with their £/$/€ the better.
    Author
    sancho1983

Don't even get me started on Nestle...

If it wasn't their baby-milk powder scams, now they want to corner the world's water supply...
    Nice to see a serious thread in misc for once.
    Author
    EN1GMA

Nice to see a serious thread in misc for once.

I was worried it might be too serious but I think there are some conscientious, savvy consumers on this site.
    Thanks for sharing frogman, hopefully some members here will find it useful.
    Its like its nearly impossible to find a sugar free sweet without aspartame in it
    archer1204

Its like its nearly impossible to find a sugar free sweet without … Its like its nearly impossible to find a sugar free sweet without aspartame in it

Tell me about
    Not only is it in diet soft drinks but also Lemonade (not diet)
    weight watcher yoghurts
    Tesco anti acid tablets
    Hot chocolate
    Fruit Shoots and most squashes in the supermarket

Safe drinks so far I found :- coke (Cheery and normal but not diet) Dr Pepper, Pepsi and a cheap squash called sun cap from Tescos.

Anyone know of any other to add to the list as 3/4 of my household have problems with this sweetener.
    misspain

Tell me about Not only is it in diet soft drinks but also Lemonade … Tell me about Not only is it in diet soft drinks but also Lemonade (not diet) weight watcher yoghurts Tesco anti acid tabletsHot chocolateFruit Shoots and most squashes in the supermarketSafe drinks so far I found :- coke (Cheery and normal but not diet) Dr Pepper, Pepsi and a cheap squash called sun cap from Tescos.Anyone know of any other to add to the list as 3/4 of my household have problems with this sweetener.

http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/additivesbranch/55174#.Ua2WKcu9KSM

That is what the FSA have to say about Aspartame. Do your family react to any amount of aspartame or do you think it's because it can be found in many food and drink products that there is a danger of too much aspartame being consumed which has led to health problems?

We've started reading food labels a lot more, mainly to keep an eye on calories but also on sugar and acids as we are trying to preserve our teeth more as we have gotten older.
    Why is whey powder from a cheese supplier not suitable for vegetarians?

I did not ask them about eels but the Careline is on 0800 010109 if … I did not ask them about eels but the Careline is on 0800 010109 if someone wants to check

Frogman are you saying some ice cream contains eels oO

What the hell can we eat these days
    Mark2111

http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/additivesbranch/55174#.Ua2WKcu9KSMThat is what the FSA have to say about Aspartame. Do your family react to any amount of aspartame or do you think it's because it can be found in many food and drink products that there is a danger of too much aspartame being consumed which has led to health problems?We've started reading food labels a lot more, mainly to keep an eye on calories but also on sugar and acids as we are trying to preserve our teeth more as we have gotten older.

We have found aspartame causes 3 out of the 4 of us to have upset stomachs from a couple of glasses of squash in a day (ie gives the squits)
    A few years ago i heard about the dangers of aspartame so after doing my own research to be honest was shocked how this is legal as i use to chew gum all the time so i wrote to wrigleys and said do you have any gum etc that doesn't contain aspartame and they said there wasnt one gum that didnt have it in so i stopped buying it straight away.
    The only substitute i found was sugarfree polos thats the only one.(It might contain other things but not aspartame) next time have a look at labelling its amazing whats in these products.
    (edited)
    Cheers op, useful information as I am a vegetarian thanks!
    Fat is what makes ice cream taste rich and creamy. It’s called ice cream, after all, not ice skim milk. So how have some manufacturers managed to make reduced fat ice cream that does a decent job of matching the real stuff? The answer, it turns out, is in fish blood.

The ocean pout, an eel-like fish that lives in the Arctic Ocean, has a special protein in its blood that keeps it from freezing in sub-zero waters*. This natural antifreeze also happens to be perfect for preventing jagged, unappealing ice crystals from forming in low-fat frozen desserts. Rather than relying on the expensive, unsustainable process of extracting the protein from the fish on an industrial scale, Dutch food giant Unilever turned to a more vegetarian-friendly solution. Scientists at the corporation genetically manipulated brewer’s yeast to manufacture the antifreeze protein during fermentation.

Though it caused a stir in 2006 when it was introduced, tasters showed clear preference for low-fat ice cream enriched with the antifreeze protein over standard low-fat treats. Not to mention the fact that the pout’s protein makes it easier to ship ice cream in environments where it may thaw and refreeze many times. Next time you scoop up some reduced fat ice cream, remember that its fake fatty taste is thanks to transgenic fungi and a deep-sea fish.

*The story of the pout’s exceptional blood doesn’t stop at ice cream. Remember the GM salmon that grows twice as fast as normal fish? The pout’s cold-resistant genes allow the salmon to grow during the cold season, when wild-type salmon conserve their energy.

frogman

It was reported some years ago that Walls (and others) were using a blood … It was reported some years ago that Walls (and others) were using a blood protein that was found in an eel-like fish to keep products semi-solid in frozen conditions. The report went on to say that the blood protein had been commercially synthesised but some believe that the blood derivative is used.

Jesus wept , just googled it. Diet starts as of now
    archer1204

A few years ago i heard about the dangers of aspartame so after doing my … A few years ago i heard about the dangers of aspartame so after doing my own research to be honest was shocked how this is legal as i use to chew gum all the time so i wrote to wrigleys and said do you have any gum etc that doesn't contain aspartame and they said there wasnt one gum that didnt have it in so i stopped buying it straight away.The only substitute i found was sugarfree polos thats the only one.(It might contain other things but not aspartame) next time have a look at labelling its amazing whats in these products.

could you post a link to this. I'm still newish.
    just type dangers of aspartame theres loads of different studies etc
    so is there a webesite which shows alternative products to the well known brands, without all this artificial sweetners stuff. I got told of aspartme a few years ago but didnt pay any attention. clearly the guy who told me knew what he was talking about.
    It should be compulsory to label vegetarian and vegan, I eat meat but I don't want to eat anything derived from an eel. Cochineal is crushed Beatles and I've recently found out what shellac is and that's put me off eating jelly beans!
    Beetles not Beatles. On my phone!
    Mark2111

It should be compulsory to label vegetarian and vegan, I eat meat but I … It should be compulsory to label vegetarian and vegan, I eat meat but I don't want to eat anything derived from an eel. Cochineal is crushed Beatles and I've recently found out what shellac is and that's put me off eating jelly beans!

Yes, that put me off Ribena & Smarties years ago
    Mark2111

It should be compulsory to label vegetarian and vegan, I eat meat but I … It should be compulsory to label vegetarian and vegan, I eat meat but I don't want to eat anything derived from an eel. Cochineal is crushed Beatles and I've recently found out what shellac is and that's put me off eating jelly beans!

Do you eat apples? You may be surprised what they are coated with (_;)
    Some apples are coated with shellac to give a shiny wax like appearance.

My wife bought some Pink Lady ones recently, they were so shiny they didn't look real. I stuck with the normal looking gala ones.
    archer1204

Its like its nearly impossible to find a sugar free sweet without … Its like its nearly impossible to find a sugar free sweet without aspartame in it

That's because sweet foods without sugar in taste disgusting so they put fake 'sugar' in.

The way I see it is you have three choices :

1, eat products with sugar in, but less often.
    2, eat things with fake sugar in and deal with the possible problems that may come with that
    3, don't eat sweet foods

I don't really get the problem, a little bit of sugar is fine for most of us.

The CSR told me that all Walls ice-creams (except Ben & Jerry's)

Do walls own Ben and Jerry's?
    sancho1983

Do walls own Ben and Jerry's?

No

But Unliver own both brands
    unilever.co.uk/bra…spx
    frogman

I was worried it might be too serious but I think there are some … I was worried it might be too serious but I think there are some conscientious, savvy consumers on this site.

Ingredient labelling should be clearer and I don't just mean the size of the writing which is often minute! Supermarkets should have every product they sell on a database showing every single ingredient of the product. E456 etc means nothing to most of us so E numbers should be clearly explained so that if you are not sure you can ask customer services to look it up.

Since we've started paying attention to food labels, we've been surprised at how many products contain gelatine. It's not a problem for us as we eat meat but when you buy a dessert or cake you don't really expect to find bits of pig in it!
    sancho1983

You ever ordered from an online nursery, doesn't seem to matter which one but theres always and Thomson & Morgan catalogue included grrrrrr.........
    deleted63105504/06/2013 21:05

Ingredient labelling should be clearer and I don't just mean the size of …Ingredient labelling should be clearer and I don't just mean the size of the writing which is often minute! Supermarkets should have every product they sell on a database showing every single ingredient of the product. E456 etc means nothing to most of us so E numbers should be clearly explained so that if you are not sure you can ask customer services to look it up.Since we've started paying attention to food labels, we've been surprised at how many products contain gelatine. It's not a problem for us as we eat meat but when you buy a dessert or cake you don't really expect to find bits of pig in it!

I would in general expect to find gelatine in a lot of desserts, its been used to make jelly set for hundreds and hundreds of years. Therefore finding it in any form of set dessert like mousse, or set (not baked) cheesecake seems natural.
's avatar