unitily room in basement-water pumping questions

Found 3rd Nov 2017
hey guys

we're having a utility room installed in the basement which will comprise of a washing machine, dryer and another room with a loo and wash basin.
for the loo, looks like the saniflo type system will need to be installed. im unsure which manufacturer to go for as i hear different things from different people. some people have had no problems with the mascaerator and others who have had issues.

another question is, is there a gizmo that will pump the waste water from the washing machine to the outside?
thanks
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
The Saniflow could also pump waste water from the washing machine. I've stayed in places where one side of the house used mascerators for sinks, toilets etc because proper plumbing was impossible.
Well I'm thinking if if I make the basement loo a no poo zone, then the macerator should be OK.

I've read mix results of the macerators but could be because people are sticking stuff down the toilet they are not supposed to, then get problems.

But so long as the macerator can pump the washing machine waste water out, them that's a big issue that would be sorted.
EN1GMA56 m ago

Well I'm thinking if if I make the basement loo a no poo zone, then the …Well I'm thinking if if I make the basement loo a no poo zone, then the macerator should be OK.I've read mix results of the macerators but could be because people are sticking stuff down the toilet they are not supposed to, then get problems.But so long as the macerator can pump the washing machine waste water out, them that's a big issue that would be sorted.

Just as a word of warning EN1GMA macerators/saniflo etc fail for no reason at all sometimes. They,by design of pipework tend to fail as a result of acting against gravity & when they do fail they tend to have a few metres of waste that will only travel in one direction. DOWN. Which means when they fail backside waste out of the toilet & sinks & into your washing machine.
Suggest you design the waste pipework best you can to cater for a failure of the macerator as Kmore advises. Have a low down drainage point easily accessible and valved if possible to allow the system to be drained to enable maintenance.

Also consider a non return valve on the waste pipe from the washing machine to protect it from waste from the toilet ... screwfix.com/p/m…561

May also be a good idea to position the washing machine high up say waist high on a purpose built frame so it can be positioned above the macerator.
Thanks for the responses guys. Lots to consider.
Van19739 h, 55 m ago

Suggest you design the waste pipework best you can to cater for a failure …Suggest you design the waste pipework best you can to cater for a failure of the macerator as Kmore advises. Have a low down drainage point easily accessible and valved if possible to allow the system to be drained to enable maintenance.Also consider a non return valve on the waste pipe from the washing machine to protect it from waste from the toilet ... https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-t28m-nrv-non-return-valve-white-40mm/61561May also be a good idea to position the washing machine high up say waist high on a purpose built frame so it can be positioned above the macerator.

So what does a non return valve actually do?

You hope the plumber will keep these things in mind and I don't want to seem a picky customer who is telling the plumber how to do his job.
EN1GMA2 h, 23 m ago

So what does a non return valve actually do?You hope the plumber will keep …So what does a non return valve actually do?You hope the plumber will keep these things in mind and I don't want to seem a picky customer who is telling the plumber how to do his job.

Allows flow in one direction only - so no "return" flow. Looking at macerators they appear to have them built in so may not need one(??).

Worth discussing these points with the plumber as I would think your design will need a little thought as I guess they won't have plumbed basements too often. You may be lucky and find one who has done a few!

Just had a google and see that the standard in the US is to install a drainage pit with a sewage ejector pump - looks more expensive but gives a much tidier finish. If you have the space and not far on with the basement refurb may be worth thinking about - plenty of videos on youtube.

In this vid the non return valve is called a "check" valve.
If you are getting this installed new you could add a valve after the non return valve for means of isolation if the system needs work. It will reduce the mess later if there are problems
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants