Expired

Universal Credit...good? bad? or hideously ugly?

Found 30th Apr 2013
I think it's gonna be a disaster.

I don't begrudge people a few quid to live on who are unable to work or between jobs for a while & the amalgamation of all the current handouts with different names is a decent idea.

But...I predict the DWP will get themselves into such a mess over this transitional period they won't know their @r$e from their elbow for about the next 5 years, abit like the Inland Revenue did not so long ago & the Border Agency is currently in.

Any thoughts?
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
As a friend explained to me yesterday, it's going to mean all benefits paid in one go, straight to the claimant, once per month. Entrusting society's most feckless with financial responsibility really is asking for disaster, isn't it?
Same money, one pay day instead of 4?

Just takes a little brain power to budget and self control of course.

I've been on the rock and roll a few years ago and although not pleasurable or easy. I didn't overspend or find myself under any self caused hardship.

Can't help thinking its a good thing as surely less graft for the DWP system reducing paydays can free up time for hunting cheats?

I haven't read into this much so if I've misunderstood then whoops.
Edited by: "Derby_Lad" 30th Apr 2013
Stupid idea, Loads of them will become homeless and probably die because they blow it all on drugs and be evicted because they've spent their rent.

It was a stupid idea giving housing benefit to the tenant and not directly the landlord.
Original Poster
yeah, they'll get a payment every 4 weeks & it's their responsibility to budget & make it last...chances of that happening are slim to none
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv9ff92diF1r6jkm3o1_400.jpg
Edited by: "Dark.Energy" 30th Apr 2013
If you're on the dole. You're an adult. Hopefully this spells the end of babysitting grown ups.
On another note, It may be a benefit because they have to budget better and that involves a little maths etc..
To expect all claimants to use the internet only is an absurd system.
Thousands of people will lose their tax credits and I bet they don't even know it.

The government aren't going to advertise that & It hasn't even registered on the news. It will affect people who are doing alright (working) and trying to do that weird thing......errr save money?

Basically, for JSA, income support, housing benefit bla bla bla etc etc are all means tested. Tax credits is as well but not with the same levels. Meaning people who do go out to work and are saving for a house/wedding etc wont get universal credit as the means testing rules of the "lesser" benefits are now applied to tax credits.

Also bit unfair that a single mum with one kid has the same savings limit as a family of 4+. but I guess this government don't want to promote silly relationships eh.
Also, Businesses and sole traders will have to do a mini self assesment EVERY MONTH, must work out their profit,stock take etc, and worked out within 7days (takes 2 months to get bank statements).

Yet, if a trader buys loads of stock one month or pays a big bill, their profit for that month would be skewed for Credit calculations.

Balls up.
Strangly, there are SOME people out there now that dont work - not because they are lazy or can't find a job. It is because they are too stupid to work! you give them £500 cash instead of paying their rent per month, and stoopiid peepole wont pay it innit.

might be a laugh though.
splatsplatsplat

Strangly, there are SOME people out there now that dont work - not … Strangly, there are SOME people out there now that dont work - not because they are lazy or can't find a job. It is because they are too stupid to work! you give them £500 cash instead of paying their rent per month, and stoopiid peepole wont pay it innit.might be a laugh though.

When they get another £500 quid somehow. Who'll be laughing
Original Poster
I'd love to see a Doctors Certificate with "too stupid to work" written on it maybe the government should create some Village Idiot posts to give them a sense of purpose
http://www.thezooom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/I-See-Stupid-People.jpeg
splatsplatsplat

Also, Businesses and sole traders will have to do a mini self assesment … Also, Businesses and sole traders will have to do a mini self assesment EVERY MONTH, must work out their profit,stock take etc, and worked out within 7days (takes 2 months to get bank statements). Yet, if a trader buys loads of stock one month or pays a big bill, their profit for that month would be skewed for Credit calculations.Balls up.

If you're self-employed you have one year to start making the equivalent of 35 hours a week at the minimum wage, after that if you earn less you are treated as if you are making the equivalent of 35 hours worth a week at the minimum wage and your universal credit is reduced accordingly.

Yet such rules don't apply for those taking a part-time job employed by somebody else. I thought the tories liked to consider themselves the party of entrepreneurship?
WTF I went through the calculator...if we didn't work, we would be 1k worse off...if we paid rent rather than mortgage it would be far far less. I then tried with just one wage, and we would only be £300 worse off.

It's a good job I have morals
it will be a desater and it will be kids and the stupid who suffer, lets face it some ppl are just thick! and always will be.

stupid things I have heard:

why does the sun go dull at night?
its not the sun its the moon, yes I know but why is it dull at night?

he thought the moon was the name of the sun at night!!!!!!!

he had a job working as a bus driver!!!
miles136

it will be a desater and it will be kids and the stupid who suffer, lets … it will be a desater and it will be kids and the stupid who suffer, lets face it some ppl are just thick! and always will be.stupid things I have heard:why does the sun go dull at night?its not the sun its the moon, yes I know but why is it dull at night?he thought the moon was the name of the sun at night!!!!!!!he had a job working as a bus driver!!!

He's probably a member of this site as well

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm
Banned
splatsplatsplat

Also, Businesses and sole traders will have to do a mini self assesment … Also, Businesses and sole traders will have to do a mini self assesment EVERY MONTH, must work out their profit,stock take etc, and worked out within 7days (takes 2 months to get bank statements). Yet, if a trader buys loads of stock one month or pays a big bill, their profit for that month would be skewed for Credit calculations.Balls up.

Derby_Lad

If you're on the dole. You're an adult. Hopefully this spells the end of … If you're on the dole. You're an adult. Hopefully this spells the end of babysitting grown ups.

Thats one of the most ridiculous rules there is.

I know a few businesses who are struggling at the moment, one for example employs 3 staff, and she takes around £75 a week for herself and relies on WTC to top her income up. Without it she will close, which is fair enough in some ways - why should the goverment pay for her business to run, but on the other hand, she will be putting 3 members of staff out of work, which the goverment will also have to pay for.

Do you get paid monthly? Why not ask for your wages to be paid yearly so your employer doesn't have to babysit you?
I have heard about the 35hour rule, whereby if you "only" work 30hours, you will still have to sign on and look for more work.

Bunch of tory muppets.
It will fail as everything else the governments have done has failed.Tens of billions wasted yet we the gullible keep voting them in.
skellysgirl

WTF I went through the calculator...if we didn't work, we would be 1k … WTF I went through the calculator...if we didn't work, we would be 1k worse off...if we paid rent rather than mortgage it would be far far less. I then tried with just one wage, and we would only be £300 worse off. It's a good job I have morals

I'd be better off quite considerably not working
How will couples be effected that have say 2 or 3 children and only 1 parent works (30 hours) the other looks after the children
bargainmadness60

How will couples be effected that have say 2 or 3 children and only 1 … How will couples be effected that have say 2 or 3 children and only 1 parent works (30 hours) the other looks after the children

Depends if any of the children are under 5, if not both parents will be required to work 35 hours at min wage (but remember if they are on £20 an hour it goes by income rather than hours, so people on good salary wont have to do 35hours they can do less - only min wage muppets like us will need to sign on) A tory rule if ever I saw one.

A huge chunk of goverment spending is on welfare at between 20 and 30 perc and its been increasing for years.
So maybe universal credit is he way to go, time will tell, most people agree with the cap on benefits, something labour would never do.

35 hours a week seems a bit high, thats basically five full days a week, and if you factor in traveling and lunch times you could be looking at 8 to 6 , fine if you have no kids and can afford a car or are near transport
Edited by: "lumsdot" 1st Feb 2015
there is a difference on someone who is 20 earning 35k and someone who is 50 earning 35k, so some sort of young income tax could be applied.
I.e if you are earning more than the average expected for someone of your age , you pay a bit more tax which could goto towards minimum wage earners

I.e if minimum wage was 10 per hour it would encourage people off benefits
Edited by: "lumsdot" 1st Feb 2015
Benefit claimants should have there spending more closely monitored to prevent them spending it on non essential items. Might encourage some to work if they can't buy alcohol or fags.

Rent, gas and electric should be paid directly to the company and the rest should be in a voucher with a photo of the claimant which limits what can be bought.

Wouldn't apply this to disabled tho
Why expire? universal credit is starting soon, this is big news.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants