Groups

University grants am I reading this wrong?

I've been considering going to uni as a mature student. I know nothing much about tuition fees, grants etc as it's not something I've looked into before. I've just been reading about course fees and grants on a uni website and it said tuition fees are approx £3290 or something (cant remember the exact figure) per year. It then went on to say that low income families can claim a government grant and a bursary from the uni. When i looked at what 'low income' was it seemed to be saying that if yr family income was left under £34k that the government grant and the uni bursary would be £3290 (or whatever the yearly course fee was) and if it was between £34k and £50k you would get a lesser amount. So that makes me think if I'm not working and hubby earns less than £34k I wouldn't actually have to pay tuition fees coz they would be covered by the grant/bursary that can't be right, can it?

5 Comments

I'm at uni and i think if u earn less than the £34k u get loaned the tuition fees, you should also get a loan for equipment and living, and possibly a non repayable grant aswell. if you o on the student loans website, and fill in the information it should give u near exact list of what ur entitled to.
    direct.gov.uk/en/…htm

Original Poster

tatemze;8403176

I'm at uni and i think if u earn less than the £34k u get loaned the … I'm at uni and i think if u earn less than the £34k u get loaned the tuition fees, you should also get a loan for equipment and living, and possibly a non repayable grant aswell. if you o on the student loans website, and fill in the information it should give u near exact list of what ur entitled to.http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm

great thanks I'll have a look :thumbsup:

I thought the tuition fees were loaned to everybody who wants them, rather than to families under blah blah.

If you are under a certain income you get a grant which you don't have to pay back

Same with the bursary except you have to apply to the uni itself for that, my uni's is done on first come first serve so make sure you get in soon for that

Original Poster

winifer;8403319

I thought the tuition fees were loaned to everybody who wants them, … I thought the tuition fees were loaned to everybody who wants them, rather than to families under blah blah. If you are under a certain income you get a grant which you don't have to pay backSame with the bursary except you have to apply to the uni itself for that, my uni's is done on first come first serve so make sure you get in soon for that

thanks, i've done the student loan calculator thing and it says I would be entitled to a tuition fee loan, a maintenance loan and a higher education maintenance grant. I think it's if your entitled to the higher education maint grant that you get the bursary. It didnt say they were 1st come 1st served so cheers for the heads up on that one :thumbsup:

Little Munchkin;8403482

thanks, i've done the student loan calculator thing and it says I would … thanks, i've done the student loan calculator thing and it says I would be entitled to a tuition fee loan, a maintenance loan and a higher education maintenance grant. I think it's if your entitled to the higher education maint grant that you get the bursary. It didnt say they were 1st come 1st served so cheers for the heads up on that one :thumbsup:

Think the bursary amount and if everybody gets it etc are down to the individual university. i know mine has a set amount per year for a bursary so it is done on first come first serve, but other uni's will probably do it differently

Best thing is to get it done and sorted quickly as with everything in life :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4241908
      2. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2851
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764655
      4. What is there free to do in your town?2340

See more discussions