University struggle!

Posted 28th Feb
I’m studying a healthcare course (radiotherapy and oncology) at university and I’m at a financial crisis at the moment to the extent where I can’t even purchase books. Does anyone know any places I could go to for help for university equipment/books. And any way to get subsidised travel? Also I’m aware of some loans from student finance but I’m not a carer and I don’t have children so they don’t apply to me
Any information would be much much appreciated, thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Sorry this isn't meant to sound patronising, but could you take on a part time job ouside of your niversity hours?
Sounds like a career awaits if you can just get over the finish line. Keep at it and good luck.

May sound obvious but have you tried the Library for books? Even if they don't have them, a good librarian may know of sources.

Once you have the ISBN, you can try Amazon for second hand copies. And in that vein, is it worth emailing last years final year cohort and asking for help with their old stuff. It may be propping up coffee tables.

I have heard tales of trusts which offer interest free loans or even grants. The only one I know anything of is sirthomaswhite.org.uk/ The uni welfare office may have info, otherwise its back to Google. Often, these are local to your nearest major city from home.
Contact your universities student services/advice team, they usually have a hardship fund that can help.
university will have a department that will be able to advice students in financial crisis so you should go and see them. i used to buy books second hand when i was at uni from previous students and i used to go the library a lot and borrow the books to save buying them

as others have said, get a part time job. a lot of students do whilst studying.
118luke28/02/2020 11:08

Sorry this isn't meant to sound patronising, but could you take on a part …Sorry this isn't meant to sound patronising, but could you take on a part time job ouside of your niversity hours?

I’ve had a part time job for over a year but had to resign last month due to personal reasons. I have been applying for more but as the course is getting more and more difficult and more days going in to uni I’m struggling to have a specific day to work on and employers hate when I say I don’t know what day I can work
(This is because I’ve started my placement in hospitals which are also on weekends)
Edited by: "Safiyaaaaxo" 28th Feb
ccnp28/02/2020 11:12

Sounds like a career awaits if you can just get over the finish line. …Sounds like a career awaits if you can just get over the finish line. Keep at it and good luck.May sound obvious but have you tried the Library for books? Even if they don't have them, a good librarian may know of sources.Once you have the ISBN, you can try Amazon for second hand copies. And in that vein, is it worth emailing last years final year cohort and asking for help with their old stuff. It may be propping up coffee tables.I have heard tales of trusts which offer interest free loans or even grants. The only one I know anything of is https://www.sirthomaswhite.org.uk/ The uni welfare office may have info, otherwise its back to Google. Often, these are local to your nearest major city from home.

Thank you this really helps!
Most universities offer general bursaries to students from low-income households. They're usually linked to your student finance application so that you get them automatically but it's still worth checking your uni's website. There are also some bursaries for specific courses or situations (eg some historic ones for 'sons of clergy'). Again, check your uni's website.

Student finance is normally based on parental income* in the tax year before the year of study - so current year (2019/20) student finance is based on parental income for year to 5 April 2018. If parental income in the following year has significantly fallen, they can ask for your student finance be based on the next year and possibly current year. (* or your income if you meet the conditions)
I’ve no idea if this is even a thing. You could try approaching MacMillan? They possibly do sponsorships to get more people into the field and help in a worthy cause.
If you have a car, you could maybe Uber in your area? Deliveroo? Just Eats? Not for everyone but pick your hours.

This is one thing that I hate about higher education. They don’t structure it so that people can study and work, spreading out lectures etc in evenly.
Our local college does at least try to squeeze everything into to 3 days attendance to give you flexibility.
Oneday7728/02/2020 11:46

I’ve no idea if this is even a thing. You could try approaching MacMillan? …I’ve no idea if this is even a thing. You could try approaching MacMillan? They possibly do sponsorships to get more people into the field and help in a worthy cause. If you have a car, you could maybe Uber in your area? Deliveroo? Just Eats? Not for everyone but pick your hours.This is one thing that I hate about higher education. They don’t structure it so that people can study and work, spreading out lectures etc in evenly. Our local college does at least try to squeeze everything into to 3 days attendance to give you flexibility.

Sadly I don’t drive:( and it’s especially hard for those doing healthcare courses because you’re expected to work full time hours during your placement in the hospitals without getting paid, which means you can’t even get an actual part time job :(. Like obviously I enjoy what I do because putting a smile on cancer patients who are going through a hard time is literally priceless
Safiyaaaaxo28/02/2020 11:52

Sadly I don’t drive:( and it’s especially hard for those doing healthcare c …Sadly I don’t drive:( and it’s especially hard for those doing healthcare courses because you’re expected to work full time hours during your placement in the hospitals without getting paid, which means you can’t even get an actual part time job :(. Like obviously I enjoy what I do because putting a smile on cancer patients who are going through a hard time is literally priceless

And they wonder why people either don’t try a course of drop out early. Typical shortsighted administrators.

Sorry don’t have any other ideas. Other than approaching hospices etc. Where your education has relevance and see if they have any positions.
This is what I don't understand. We get told we need immigration to fill critical jobs but we don't help our young people get the skills to do these very same jobs.
Safiyaaaaxo28/02/2020 11:52

Sadly I don’t drive:( and it’s especially hard for those doing healthcare c …Sadly I don’t drive:( and it’s especially hard for those doing healthcare courses because you’re expected to work full time hours during your placement in the hospitals without getting paid, which means you can’t even get an actual part time job :(. Like obviously I enjoy what I do because putting a smile on cancer patients who are going through a hard time is literally priceless

Might be worth discussing with your placement or placement supervisor as if anywhere/one that may have odd hours required (even in a different role) and would be able to accommodate whilst understanding both your and their own long term requirements.
Buy a flat-top griddle, bread, and cheese. Set up outside of dorms around 10pm, charge £5 for a grilled cheese. If your campus has rules against selling food or whatever, put a sign up that reads "paper towels £5 each, comes with a complimentary grilled cheese!"
Are you not able to get a maintenance loan? Don’t know whether you already have it or not but that should cover everything that you need.
Rocknroiia28/02/2020 14:53

Buy a flat-top griddle, bread, and cheese. Set up outside of dorms around …Buy a flat-top griddle, bread, and cheese. Set up outside of dorms around 10pm, charge £5 for a grilled cheese. If your campus has rules against selling food or whatever, put a sign up that reads "paper towels £5 each, comes with a complimentary grilled cheese!"

Omg this is class I might try this
Sacredarts28/02/2020 15:02

Are you not able to get a maintenance loan? Don’t know whether you already …Are you not able to get a maintenance loan? Don’t know whether you already have it or not but that should cover everything that you need.

My maintenance loan is really low and barely covers the cost of my accommodation London is so expensive !!
adamderak28/02/2020 12:25

This is what I don't understand. We get told we need immigration to fill …This is what I don't understand. We get told we need immigration to fill critical jobs but we don't help our young people get the skills to do these very same jobs.

There’s a national shortage of radiographers.. and now I’m starting to understand why
Safiyaaaaxo28/02/2020 15:09

There’s a national shortage of radiographers.. and now I’m starting to und …There’s a national shortage of radiographers.. and now I’m starting to understand why

Just hang on in there. Will be worth it in the end. Can't your parent's help out
Set up a page on just giving.
How much are these books??
TGKW28/02/2020 17:30

How much are these books??

They’re like £70-80 each! So expensive
In regards to books, speak to the uni Library and make them aware of the books you need for your course. If the books you need are already out on loan, they should be able to arrange to reserve them for you for when they come back in. My uni library also has access to a lot of books online for free, have you looked into this as an option? Your librarians will be able to help with this too.

Your uni should also provide access to finance advisors who can help with information about bursaries or hardship funds that will be available to you. Make an appointment with one of them as soon as you can as they will be the absolute best people to tell you what you're entitled to and they can even help with budgeting advice There's probably more information on their website about this if you're not sure who to speak to.
Edited by: "Psychobunni" 28th Feb
Theres a thread or 2 on reddit that gives links where to look for *ahem* free ebooks for college/uni.
I second the library. I never bought a book at my time at Uni as I just reserved the books I needed. But depends on how good your uni library is and how many people want the same books!
See if your bank offers a student bank account. They often have 0% overdrafts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants