Unknown texts (international, America I think & unknown) - advice urgently please

Found 11th Sep 2017
I have a Doogee Y6 Max bought as & used as a small tablet (back in Jan/Feb I think). For the first time last weekend due to running out of charge in main phone, I put a BT sim in it, used a bit of data, switched the phone off. Today I turned it on (early morning) & updated Navmii (downloaded a few new maps on wifi), set the phone down (locked) & thought nothing more of it.

When I picked it up about 21:30 I had a text from BT to say that I had almost used my £5 cap - panicking I checked online to see that they say I have been texting two numbers periodically: 00184754538xx & 00158185487xx

I have never sent a text from the 'phone'. Could it be doing so itself or are BT having crosses airwaves?

I have paid for Norton installed & it is up to date, but reporting no malware.

Can't install anything else as have removed google account & changed password.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

Have you googled the two numbers to see if they are linked to some sort of scam?

Original Poster

Yeah - nothing. Only thing I found googling was dailymail.co.uk/sci…tml and it is years old.

Needless to say SIM is now out!
Edited by: "jnm21" 11th Sep 2017

It is possibly the SIM not the phone. There are scams where phone numbers are signed up to text services which cost a fortune. I know someone who had a similar scam leaving them £40 out of pocket. Forward the numbers to SPAM. Also contact BT to block the numbers.

Original Poster

These are 'just' standard rate international texts (25p each), so don't think it is that (unless it is BT wanting a few £££ LOL).

Still hoping that it is a big mistake & BT will admit it is a billing issue. Don't like the alternatives; something Doogee or I have installed is rouge!

Original Poster

Found a suggestion on a dodgy more ads than info site suggesting this company: m.facebook.com/pag…205

The last 2 digits aren't even close though.

Original Poster

The second number is in Montmagny, Quebec. I don't know anyone there or in Illinois!

It's the Norton antivirus sending texts to update itself, I guarantee that if you uninstall the Norton it will stop sending the texts.

Dyslexic_Dog10 m ago

It's the Norton antivirus sending texts to update itself, I guarantee that …It's the Norton antivirus sending texts to update itself, I guarantee that if you uninstall the Norton it will stop sending the texts.

It certainly sounds like the AV or the Navmi sending some sort of verification messages. What 'permissions' Did the apps ask for? Very often they ask for authorisation to make calls and send texts when you download, but then you forget about it.
You may be able to go into the app settings and turn this authorisation off.

Dyslexic_Dog40 m ago

It's the Norton antivirus sending texts to update itself, I guarantee that …It's the Norton antivirus sending texts to update itself, I guarantee that if you uninstall the Norton it will stop sending the texts.

this

Original Poster

Well, all I can say is that I am glad I kept the text, email & screenshot from BT - balance back to zero, no texts sent!

Thanks for your time folks!

Say a prayed for the poor sod I am about to chat with at BT!!!

Original Poster

Well two weeks on and I am back! Despite assurances that the useage never happened (with a general 'dunno why we told you it did; please accept my sincere apologies' & only one suggestion that a system upgrade may have been involved)... the useage that never happened seems to be happening again (to the same & vaguely similar numbers - much wider range this time). I was up in the middle of the night (something that increases as you get older - the stories are true : ( I'm sorry to confirm) and heard a ting then another!

Seems that this time I have hit the cap (which thankfully works)! Seems that with each text I now get a ting with a system message saying the number is invalid!

Now BT had offered me money off my bill for their shoddy work in worrying me witless for no reason - it now seems that my complaint changes to one of why they told me the useage didn't happen when actually it did - maybe!

Answers on a postcard please! : )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions