Unlicensed Vehicle Letter DVLA help needed please

Found 4th Jun 2015
Hi all,

Received a letter from dvla stating my car was untaxed on the 19/05/15. On the 15/04/15 I set up my car tax online and have got two confirmation emails stating it has been set up, as well as setting this up for my new vehicle I also cancelled my previous car tax direct debit on the same day.

I checked online if my car was taxed and it says it is so I telephoned the dvla and explained this to them. They were no help whatsoever and stated my car was untaxed on the day and I need to pay the fine.I asked them why it was untaxed when I have confirmation that the direct debit has been set up, they said they sent an email out to me on the 20/05/2015 stating the debit has been cancelled.

I checked my emails and the email I received was confirming it was my other direct debit for the old car what was cancelled.

I then telephoned my bank and asked them if there was a new debit set up to which they confirmed but stated that the Dvla haven't asked for a payment, and because they haven't asked for one, one hasn't been sent.

I phoned the dvla up again and tried explaining this and they weren't interested. Where do I stand with this? It's really worrying me as I followed the correct process of taxing my car online and also had email confirmation stating it has been successful.

Sorry for the long message but really concerned with this. Any help really appreciated
Community Updates
9 Comments
It's because they're putting in a new system and everything is messed up. Stand your ground and don;t pay the fine but say you will transfer the sum owed for the car tax only and they need to ensue they request further DDs
choc1969

It's because they're putting in a new system and everything is messed up. … It's because they're putting in a new system and everything is messed up. Stand your ground and don;t pay the fine but say you will transfer the sum owed for the car tax only and they need to ensue they request further DDs

Thank you for the prompt reply choc1969 it really is appreciated. I'll write to them in the morning explaining and appealing it, hopefully it won't go to court, thanks again.
They said I need to re tax it online again, should I go threw with this? Or leave it?
Edited by: "kyleg44" 4th Jun 2015
Firstly...dont panic. If what you say, is what you did, then Im sure its all fine. I would email them. Attach the proof you have and let them deal with it. If you are confident that you your tax was valid at the time then let them tear they're hair out instead of you. Again, if you can prove it, you have nothing to worry about. These things happen
Edited by: "Fozzy1957" 4th Jun 2015
Fozzy1957

Firstly...dont panic. If what you say, is what you did, then Im sure its … Firstly...dont panic. If what you say, is what you did, then Im sure its all fine. I would email them. Attach the proof you have and let them deal with it. If you are confident that you your tax was valid at the time then let them tear they're hair out instead of you. Again, if you can prove it, you have nothing to worry about. These things happen

Thank you for your reply, it's reassuring and really appreciated. I'm jut unsure whether to tax it 'again' as they have stated it isn't taxed
Fozzy1957

Firstly...dont panic. If what you say, is what you did, then Im sure its … Firstly...dont panic. If what you say, is what you did, then Im sure its all fine. I would email them. Attach the proof you have and let them deal with it. If you are confident that you your tax was valid at the time then let them tear they're hair out instead of you. Again, if you can prove it, you have nothing to worry about. These things happen

Agreed - even if they threaten you with court then say OK and take it to court - you have proof from your bank and it's the DVLA's error - so long as you have all the proof and notify them in writing (asking for confirmation of email receipt or signed for delivery)
Fozzy1957

I agree with this. email them! They have a new system and if the direct debit was cancelled in error by Dvla the they can sort. I would be concerned though if it is showing as untaxed at the moment as if you get stopped by the police they probably won't care about your situation. I would definitely email them and address it to their complaints dept as it will prob get sorted sooner. (or try and find a telephone number of the tax dept and bypass the contact centre)
I believe they take the DD's at the end of the month. At least that's what happened when I payed that way this time. Car appeared as taxed but they did't take payment until the end of the month.

Personally, I would just ignore them, but if you're worried then write to them (never phone them) and explain the situation. You're a long way off court though, so don't worry about that!
There has been a lot of problems with this new system many people are saying it's unfair . Here's part of a quote from a a website I found a while back regarding the new DVLC rules:

It’s not just those who were unaware of the new rules who have been threatened with fines – it’s a similar story for those who thought they had done the right thing. Money reader Caroline Hazell bought a car last November and used the DVLA website to tax it, setting up the newly introduced monthly direct debit payment.

However, in February she was fined £60 for not taxing the vehicle. The letter stated that unless she had paper evidence of payment the fine would be valid. Having done it online she had nothing – and, of course, no tax disc. Hazell paid the fine and retaxed the car thinking she was going mad. When her online banking showed she had set it all up she called the DVLA. It confirmed she had taxed the vehicle, but that the previous owner had untaxed it rendering her payment void.

Pete Hallam had a similar experience. “My car was clamped. We thought we had taxed it but there was a problem which we were unaware of, so the tax did not go through. The lack of disc did not alert us to the problem. There was no attempt to remind us with a letter or a call – the DVLA is not legally obliged – just a man in a van clamping the car. This is shady practice and reminiscent of the car parking wheel clampers a few years ago. It is a money-making scam.”
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants