Unlimited Email aliases trick

Posted 9th Dec 2019
many will already know this but some might not.

If you buy a cheap domain, ie I bought one with my surname .app for £11 for 5 years,

I setup up email forwarding and put a * for the email so I any email with any word @surname.app gets forward to my real email (mail.com in this case)

This is useful to sign up for things to be seperate, you might do this for several reasons, but one might be to isolate who is selling you information ie, you sign up for sky, sign up with the email sky@surname.app, then if you get spam look at the send adress you will see who sold it ect.

other use cases aswell.

Another is I use workflowwy which is a website where I keep IT scripts and other items that I might need one a computer that is not mine, instead of logging into my cloud account or email I simply go to my website name and it shows up (only put up stuff you don't mind being public)

any other uses for this?
(if you want a free way mail.com offers 10 aliases at once)
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
Not guaranteed so you've have to test but many mail servers ignore text after a + on the mailbox part eg jeff+hotukdeals@gmail.com will route to jeff@gmail.com but you can use the +hotukdeals in any rules.

As I say, it's not guaranteed and some forms also have validation which prevents you using it.. but it's one option.
rtbsghgfh09/12/2019 19:44

Not guaranteed so you've have to test but many mail servers ignore text …Not guaranteed so you've have to test but many mail servers ignore text after a + on the mailbox part eg jeff+hotukdeals@gmail.com will route to jeff@gmail.com but you can use the +hotukdeals in any rules. As I say, it's not guaranteed and some forms also have validation which prevents you using it.. but it's one option.

Thanks good tip, personally don't like gmail due to the ads
Gumbon09/12/2019 19:46

Cannot remember last time I saw an ad using gmail, and gmail is effectively my primary mail client. Don't know if this is native gmail or the various adblockers / VPN that I use.

It works on my work's email (exchange/office365) and think was ok with hotmail but not sure if it's a universal thing or not.

Gmail do it, as do Outlook and Protonmail. Outlook also let you add 10 custom aliases for free (completely different emails but all redirecting to main account).
Edited by: "jamie15" 9th Dec 2019
You can do this for free with gmail

Eg

username@gmail.com can be changed to username+anythingyoulike@gmail.com
chocci09/12/2019 21:30

You can do this for free with gmailEgusername@gmail.com can be changed to …You can do this for free with gmailEgusername@gmail.com can be changed to username+anythingyoulike@gmail.com

as someone else said,

''As I say, it's not guaranteed and some forms also have validation which prevents you using it.. but it's one option.''

Ads? Never seen any ads on gmail
Gumbon09/12/2019 21:33

as someone else said, ''As I say, it's not guaranteed and some forms also …as someone else said, ''As I say, it's not guaranteed and some forms also have validation which prevents you using it.. but it's one option.''

Use the dot trick then. No sites reject the dot trick as many primary email addresses have dots.
jamie1509/12/2019 21:54

Use the dot trick then. No sites reject the dot trick as many primary …Use the dot trick then. No sites reject the dot trick as many primary email addresses have dots.

What is the dot trick again? Is that hel.llo@gmail.com?
Ie you would have to remember what each . Represents?
Gumbon09/12/2019 22:00

What is the dot trick again? Is that hel.llo@gmail.com?Ie you would have …What is the dot trick again? Is that hel.llo@gmail.com?Ie you would have to remember what each . Represents?

Yeah.
jamie1509/12/2019 22:01

Yeah.

So like if you have the email kenny54@gmail.com you only going to get 6 different alias addresses, and you would need to write it down which each one represent.

Still useful for others reading if they want a free trick - I just like the idea of signup up without doing anything put whatever I want.

Edit... I space 2 dots works aswell so k.enn.y54@gmail.com so maybe 6-30 aliases possibly depending on your email.
Edited by: "Gumbon" 10th Dec 2019
chocci09/12/2019 21:38

Ads? Never seen any ads on gmail

Me neither. Never. Not one.
Phsycronix10/12/2019 12:06

Me neither. Never. Not one.

So you do if you use promotion tabs, yes you can turn this off but this is a good spam filters, personally yes I would have these off as I am anal about unsubscribing from everything I don't want.

only just found out that it was only if you used the tabs haha, alwell, to be far I also dislike the new Gmail phone app, I like the old one, could of used it in IMAP to something else but prefer to use me mail.com doman Email.com IMAPPED to my outlook app with the quick switch between my work email.
Gumbon10/12/2019 11:59

So like if you have the email kenny54@gmail.com you only going to get 6 …So like if you have the email kenny54@gmail.com you only going to get 6 different alias addresses, and you would need to write it down which each one represent.Still useful for others reading if they want a free trick - I just like the idea of signup up without doing anything put whatever I want.Edit... I space 2 dots works aswell so k.enn.y54@gmail.com so maybe 6-30 aliases possibly depending on your email.

You can add as many dots as you want. kenny@gmail.com could be k.e.n.n.y@gmail.com.

Domain alternative may be easier but also costs money. Outlook provides 10 aliases for free per account which is enough.

...I setup up email forwarding and put a * for the email so I any email …...I setup up email forwarding and put a * for the email so I any email with any word @surname.app gets forward to my real email

It's a reasonable concept but the * is a spam magnet unless you have effective spam filtering serverside or reader level such as Gmail although Mail dot com spam filter claims (only?) 90% effective, so arguably best to use the (ad-free) Gmail as termination account to effectively filter more than 90% of the rubbish, unless you can use Mail dot com to access Gmail, which just seems far too much trouble for no obvious benefit.
That is only useful information to the alots and the aswells., and perhaps to the ects.
They already have enough problems as it is.

If you want another email address then get another Gmail address -use forwarding - then another, then...........
Edited by: "Erudite" 10th Dec 2019
AndyRoyd10/12/2019 12:17

It's a reasonable concept but the * is a spam magnet unless you have …It's a reasonable concept but the * is a spam magnet unless you have effective spam filtering serverside or reader level such as Gmail although Mail dot com spam filter claims (only?) 90% effective, so arguably best to use the (ad-free) Gmail as termination account to effectively filter more than 90% of the rubbish, unless you can use Mail dot com to access Gmail, which just seems far too much trouble for no obvious benefit.

Hi, Sure technically it could be a spam magnet, but who is going to target my obscure domain name?
I will see how it goes as only added it last week but doubtful that I will have issues.

I use mail.com, they have the domain Email.com as an option, I was able to get my ''Surname@email.com'' which is quite clean rather then surname509@gmail.com or the like, I use it IMAP (mail.com says its premium option but it works anyway) to my outlook mobile app. You can't seem to IMAP to Gmail web I don't think but I just use mail.com when on computer (not often)
jamie1510/12/2019 12:14

You can add as many dots as you want. kenny@gmail.com could be …You can add as many dots as you want. kenny@gmail.com could be k.e.n.n.y@gmail.com.Domain alternative may be easier but also costs money. Outlook provides 10 aliases for free per account which is enough.

I did not know outlook had aliases, but I've seen my dad's outlook, is there ads even with ublock origin? only use business outlook so not sure.

And sure for most the . trick will work off but bit annoying to remember what .s mean ect, domain way there is no thinking (aslong as I don't start getting spammed) :P
Gumbon10/12/2019 12:30

I did not know outlook had aliases, but I've seen my dad's outlook, is …I did not know outlook had aliases, but I've seen my dad's outlook, is there ads even with ublock origin? only use business outlook so not sure.And sure for most the . trick will work off but bit annoying to remember what .s mean ect, domain way there is no thinking (aslong as I don't start getting spammed) :P

Don't use an ad blocker but Outlook app seems to be ad free. Obviously . trick is not as good, alias system is better but Outlook provides that.
jamie1510/12/2019 13:04

Don't use an ad blocker but Outlook app seems to be ad free. Obviously . …Don't use an ad blocker but Outlook app seems to be ad free. Obviously . trick is not as good, alias system is better but Outlook provides that.

Sorry I mean outlook on the desktop, on right hand side it has ads, if you use adblock it dont show ads but that space is taken up with a message about we know you blocked ads or something like that haha
"If you buy a cheap domain, ie I bought one with my surname .app for £11 for 5 years,"

Did you buy the domain at £11 total for 5 years or £11 per year for 5 years? Cheapest I can see is £11 per year at 1&1 and my wholesale costs wouldn't be worth selling at that price for 5 years.

I'm starting up my own business for domains and will be including domain forwarding and 2 mailboxes as standard at a competitive price but am including catch all mail to an account. Have it set at the min to my gmail account and I've also added the ability to send from the mail alias (after authorising each individual address at hosting level) which is handy for mail filtering and corresponding with services like sky etc and keeps all conversations nicely separated within mail folders.

Another option is to specify individual aliases and an account to forward to each time but reject mail from any unspecified name @thedomain and cut out any potential spam.

I'm going to donate a %age of each sale to a nominated charity each year and also provide domains at cost price for registered charitable organisations
Edited by: "domregni" 9th Jan
domregni09/01/2020 11:45

"If you buy a cheap domain, ie I bought one with my surname .app for £11 …"If you buy a cheap domain, ie I bought one with my surname .app for £11 for 5 years,"Did you buy the domain at £11 total for 5 years or £11 per year for 5 years? Cheapest I can see is £11 per year at 1&1 and my wholesale costs wouldn't be worth selling at that price for 5 years.I'm starting up my own business for domains and will be including domain forwarding and 2 mailboxes as standard at a competitive price but am including catch all mail to an account. Have it set at the min to my gmail account and I've also added the ability to send from the mail alias (after authorising each individual address at hosting level) which is handy for mail filtering and corresponding with services like sky etc and keeps all conversations nicely separated within mail folders.Another option is to specify individual aliases and an account to forward to each time but reject mail from any unspecified name @thedomain and cut out any potential spam.I'm going to donate a %age of each sale to a nominated charity each year and also provide domains at cost price for registered charitable organisations

Hi, I bought it from mpgh, Google domain, I am not sure how they source them I would imagine some sort of trick
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions