Unlock iPad - Help, please

Posted 7th Dec 2019
I've had my iPad for approx. 10 years, about a week or so ago I turned it off and back on again but now it's completely locked. It's said I need to verify my identity - fair enough, entered my date of birth and answered secuiry question but it's saying my answer is wrong - it isn't, it could have only been 1 of 2 answers but it's still saying it's wrong, I've tried both answers and with other possible spellings.

I've contacted Apple who are less than interested, said I need the security answer or proof of purchase which I don't have given it was bought years ago.

I've paid a company online to get it sorted - big mistake - they haven't and are ignoring my messages.

I know my DOB
I know the security question (though apparently it's wrong)
I can't access my iCloud email

Is there anyway that I can get round this without having to buy a new one? Or am I flogging a dead horse. It does belong to me, always has and I'm so frustrated as I don't know how this has happened. Can't believe Apple can do this.

Any help very much appreciated, thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
deleted1471098
Can you log into your iCloud account using a computer or phone? If not then your iCloud account has been hacked and your details changed. If you can get in then unlink the iPad from the iCloud account and then do a factory reset. Doing a factory reset without unlinking the iPad won’t do anything so if you can’t access your iCloud account you need to focus on getting that working. Apple can normally do that with some kind of passport etc.

And yes I can believe Apple will do this, they’ve had your money and don’t care.....welcome to Apple customer service.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
What model iPad do you have seeing as it is 10 years old? It must be a model that is very slow, on a very old version of iOS and no longer supported. It looks you've well and truly got your money's worth out of it, maybe it's a good time to upgrade to a newer model, even a used iPad Air 2 or newer.
Haircut_10007/12/2019 22:24

What model iPad do you have seeing as it is 10 years old? It must be a …What model iPad do you have seeing as it is 10 years old? It must be a model that is very slow, on a very old version of iOS and no longer supported. It looks you've well and truly got your money's worth out of it, maybe it's a good time to upgrade to a newer model, even a used iPad Air 2 or newer.

Not sure how that helps the op ?
snoopy1807/12/2019 22:42

It helps the OP by explaining that if their iPad really is 10 years old then it might well be a good time to replace it with a newer model if they are having problems unlocking it. I'm not sure why you wouldn't think that wasn't a helpful suggestion for them to consider .
without proof of purchase apple can not be certain that you haven't stolen the ipad so i can understand why they have refused to help. as you may be legit but there are lots of thieves out there.

you can reset the ipad through itunes

smallbusiness.chron.com/wip…tml
Had this issue when my husband died. Never got into it
jimmy_the_fridge07/12/2019 23:48

Comment deleted

Have you tried using a 1st gen iPad recently? The OP has said that their iPad is 10 years old so I'm guessing it's going to be a launch model from 2010. I bought my kids a cheap one a year or two back just for something to have a play around on (rather than using my 2017 iPad) and found that unfortunately it was pretty much unusable for anything other than being a music player. There were hardly any apps at all available for it on the App Store because it only updated to something like iOS 5.1 from 2012 (I think that YouTube was one of the few apps available for it) and it was incredibly slow to browse the Internet due to its very small ram. The OP asked if there was any way to get around the issue the issue of theirs being locked "without having to buy a new one". I simply suggested that it might well be a good time to consider moving on and replacing it with a newer model seeing as it might well be impossible to unlock their old one. 10 years is a very long time when it comes to tablets, and the OP would definitely have gotten their money's worth it of it. I still think that's a valid suggestion to essentially consider it retired but each to their own of course.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 8th Dec 2019
jimmy_the_fridge07/12/2019 23:48

Comment deleted

Trust me a 1st gen ipad is useless, i have one and even browsing is ridiculously slow. I pads and tablets just aren't designed to last 10 years. Best thing the op can do is buy a new one (keep the receipt) and take heart from the fact that Apple clearly take customer security very serious.
JumpMan198008/12/2019 08:02

Comment deleted

You are a very strange person indeed. Why come on to this thread to just be silly and not help the OP?
Haircut_10007/12/2019 22:24

What model iPad do you have seeing as it is 10 years old? It must be a …What model iPad do you have seeing as it is 10 years old? It must be a model that is very slow, on a very old version of iOS and no longer supported. It looks you've well and truly got your money's worth out of it, maybe it's a good time to upgrade to a newer model, even a used iPad Air 2 or newer.

It obviously works for them though as they've not mentioned issues with that so why dump more perfectly fine stuff in landfill. This throwaway culture is rediculuous.
Hi JumpMan1980 !

We’ve removed your comment from the following thread “Unlock iPad - Help, please” as it contains unsuitable content. This was your comment - “ Pot. Kettle. Black. Op is not asking for advice on whether to upgrade - they ask for advice on how to unlock. At no point did they suggest they are unhappy with current tablet yet you drivel on about that “
Haircut_10008/12/2019 08:40

You are a very strange person indeed. Why come on to this thread to just …You are a very strange person indeed. Why come on to this thread to just be silly and not help the OP?

Offensive
snoopy1807/12/2019 22:42

I don't understand your question.
This might help. It is normally used when the ipad reports it is disabled.
You need a windows Pc and access to iTunes. You may need to hunt out iTunes to install in windows; if you can hunt out an old version of iTunes it may help.
1. With the PC on and iTunes open connect the USB cable which you use with your ipad to the PC.
2. Turn off the ipad: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to shut down.
3. While pressing and holding the Home button, connect the USB cable to the ipad. The device should turn on.
4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
5. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then restore the device.
6. Follow the prompts in Setup Assistant and proceed to "Set up your device."
7. If you used iCloud for backup, tap Restore from a Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions