Groups
    EXPIRED

Unlock Iphone From ID Mobile

After a bit of advice if poss. My iPhone contract with ID Mobile expires next month, so I phoned up to either cancel it or go for one of their SIM only deals. I asked them to unlock it to any network and they said they can do this but it will take six months from today. I then asked them to change my contract to a SIM only deal and they said that this isn't possible - in order to do this I have to cancel my contract and then take out a completely new one with them. So I asked to cancel my contract and they gave me a PAC code, which I need to use to keep my number. However, they said if I take out another contract with them I can't use the PAC code, and that I will have to have a new telephone number, which I really don't want to do as I've had the same number for 15 years. So now I'm in a situation where I can't move to a different provider because my phone is locked to them, and if I want to keep the same number I have to keep paying them £37 a month for the next six months until they have unlocked my phone. Anybody else come up against anything similar? Is there any other way I can get my phone unlocked? Sorry for drivelling on and possibly making little or no sense, I'm just feeling quite frustrated after just having spoken to them!

31 Comments

It takes less than a day to unlock a phone. I'd ask to speak to a supervisor or file a complaint, they're stringing you along, especially if you've already served a full contract.

is the phone locked? try another SIM. ID runs on 3 so you could join them.

Always test first or your wasting your time and possibly money trying to unlock an already unlocked phone. I know I did with my old phone.

Try a 3 pay as you go SIM in the phone... the y are normally frequency locked..

Original Poster

dcx_badass

It takes less than a day to unlock a phone. I'd ask to speak to a … It takes less than a day to unlock a phone. I'd ask to speak to a supervisor or file a complaint, they're stringing you along, especially if you've already served a full contract.

I've filed a complaint as I agree it shouldn't take anywhere near that long to unlock, but I think they just do it to tie you into your contract for longer. Will see if I get a call back from their customer services, but not holding my breath!

Original Poster

guidothekillerchimp

Try a 3 pay as you go SIM in the phone... the y are normally frequency … Try a 3 pay as you go SIM in the phone... the y are normally frequency locked..

Thanks, I've just ordered a 3 SIM and will give it a go

guidothekillerchimp

Try a 3 pay as you go SIM in the phone... the y are normally frequency … Try a 3 pay as you go SIM in the phone... the y are normally frequency locked..

​if it works you can Pac to 3

krabople

After a bit of advice if poss. My iPhone contract with ID Mobile … After a bit of advice if poss. My iPhone contract with ID Mobile expires next month, so I phoned up to either cancel it or go for one of their SIM only deals. I asked them to unlock it to any network and they said they can do this but it will take six months from today. I then asked them to change my contract to a SIM only deal and they said that this isn't possible - in order to do this I have to cancel my contract and then take out a completely new one with them. So I asked to cancel my contract and they gave me a PAC code, which I need to use to keep my number. However, they said if I take out another contract with them I can't use the PAC code, and that I will have to have a new telephone number, which I really don't want to do as I've had the same number for 15 years. So now I'm in a situation where I can't move to a different provider because my phone is locked to them, and if I want to keep the same number I have to keep paying them £37 a month for the next six months until they have unlocked my phone. Anybody else come up against anything similar? Is there any other way I can get my phone unlocked? Sorry for drivelling on and possibly making little or no sense, I'm just feeling quite frustrated after just having spoken to them!

Mostly every ID mobile sim deal thread sees folks commenting on the exact points you are facing.

When you cancel a sim with them, most are refused another sim due to 'credit rating'....something to bear in mind should you look to take out another ID sim.

Original Poster

andynicol

Mostly every ID mobile sim deal thread sees folks commenting on the exact … Mostly every ID mobile sim deal thread sees folks commenting on the exact points you are facing.When you cancel a sim with them, most are refused another sim due to 'credit rating'....something to bear in mind should you look to take out another ID sim.

Thanks. I'm aiming to find a way to avoid them at all costs (other than the cost of giving up my phone number!). They're nothing more than a bunch of con artists.

krabople

Thanks. I'm aiming to find a way to avoid them at all costs (other than … Thanks. I'm aiming to find a way to avoid them at all costs (other than the cost of giving up my phone number!). They're nothing more than a bunch of con artists.

Cant you use the PAC and transfer your no. to a PAYG, if only for temporary use until you get the phone situation sorted..?
    Some suppliers will issue a new sim for free, and top up with say £5, purely to keep the no..?

Original Poster

andynicol

Cant you use the PAC and transfer your no. to a PAYG, if only for … Cant you use the PAC and transfer your no. to a PAYG, if only for temporary use until you get the phone situation sorted..?Some suppliers will issue a new sim for free, and top up with say £5, purely to keep the no..?

I could do that but I still wouldn't be able to use my phone as it's locked to ID Mobile for another 6 months. So even if I use the PAC to transfer my current number to another network, I wouldn't be able to use that number without buying a new phone to put the SIM into.

I thought that if you pay £37 a month, that's a combination of say £20 for phone and £17 for calls, texts and data. Which bit expires next month? However what your saying is they are still going to take the full £37 off you? That's not right.

wayners

I thought that if you pay £37 a month, that's a combination of say £20 f … I thought that if you pay £37 a month, that's a combination of say £20 for phone and £17 for calls, texts and data. Which bit expires next month? However what your saying is they are still going to take the full £37 off you? That's not right.

No, as far as I know only O2 do that type of contract, most other contracts are you pay one fee and that's for everything

Not sure i understand as if the Id contract ends next month why dose the op have to pay £37 for another 6 months? Just thought maybe the sim and phone were on separate contacts?

Original Poster

wayners

Not sure i understand as if the Id contract ends next month why dose the … Not sure i understand as if the Id contract ends next month why dose the op have to pay £37 for another 6 months? Just thought maybe the sim and phone were on separate contacts?

Technically I don't have to pay them any money after next month as my contract comes to an end and I can cancel it. But my phone is locked to their network, and they have a policy in place whereby once you request for it to be unlocked to any network you have to wait a further six months for them to do it. So as it stands, if I don't keep paying them for the next six months, I won't be able to use my handset.

krabople

Technically I don't have to pay them any money after next month as my … Technically I don't have to pay them any money after next month as my contract comes to an end and I can cancel it. But my phone is locked to their network, and they have a policy in place whereby once you request for it to be unlocked to any network you have to wait a further six months for them to do it. So as it stands, if I don't keep paying them for the next six months, I won't be able to use my handset.

try an email to their chief exec, their top customer service team will probably reply quickly and get it fixed for you

ceoemail.com/s.p…ons Carphone Plc Chief Executive

krabople

Technically I don't have to pay them any money after next month as my … Technically I don't have to pay them any money after next month as my contract comes to an end and I can cancel it. But my phone is locked to their network, and they have a policy in place whereby once you request for it to be unlocked to any network you have to wait a further six months for them to do it. So as it stands, if I don't keep paying them for the next six months, I won't be able to use my handset.

​That's terrible. I will avoid that company. I'm with tesco mobile now and had no troubles for 5 years so far, thats if you conducted your business on the phone. It's the only call centre that's OK with me. There instore shops are sales only and useless though. I'm going to try and avoid phone contracts now though as sim only for me. I would bump up your complaint to the presidents office... Right up the top in a hope you can get somewhere. You situation is not fair. Hope you sort it out.

Original Poster

eslick

try an email to their chief exec, their top customer service team will … try an email to their chief exec, their top customer service team will probably reply quickly and get it fixed for youhttp://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9045&k=57adcbd5&c=Dixons Carphone Plc Chief Executive

Thanks! Nothing to lose by giving it a try.

wayners

​That's terrible. I will avoid that company. I'm with tesco mobile now a … ​That's terrible. I will avoid that company. I'm with tesco mobile now and had no troubles for 5 years so far, thats if you conducted your business on the phone. It's the only call centre that's OK with me. There instore shops are sales only and useless though. I'm going to try and avoid phone contracts now though as sim only for me. I would bump up your complaint to the presidents office... Right up the top in a hope you can get somewhere. You situation is not fair. Hope you sort it out.

Thank you. I was also with Tesco Mobile for a couple of years and never had any problems with them. Only switched to ID Mobile because an amazing deal came up for an iPhone 6s and it was only a 12 month contract. The phrase 'too good to be true' springs to mind.

Edited by: "krabople" 12th Aug 2016

If they won't unlock it for 6 months, you're better off getting your pac code, going somewhere else and just getting someone else to unlock the phone for you

Or as above, try a 3 sim first and see if that works as they use the same network

Original Poster

bobdylan

If they won't unlock it for 6 months, you're better off getting your pac … If they won't unlock it for 6 months, you're better off getting your pac code, going somewhere else and just getting someone else to unlock the phone for you

I agree, but do you know where I can get this done?

Tread carefully as I stumbled on this site that looks like they can unlock your phone although I can't confirm that or find the cost. Don't know if you can get pac code from anywhere but id mobile? To unlock try mobileunlocked.com

Original Poster

wayners

Tread carefully as I stumbled on this site that looks like they can … Tread carefully as I stumbled on this site that looks like they can unlock your phone although I can't confirm that or find the cost. Don't know if you can get pac code from anywhere but id mobile? To unlock try https://www.mobileunlocked.com

Thanks, but just entered the phone details and network and it said they 'can not unlock this handset at this time'. I've seen a few sites that claim to be able to, but they generally look quite dodgy.

Hum. I usually head for eBay for codes but nothing for Id mobile that I can see. Think they are keeping the code to themselves.

wayners

Hum. I usually head for eBay for codes but nothing for Id mobile that I … Hum. I usually head for eBay for codes but nothing for Id mobile that I can see. Think they are keeping the code to themselves.

iPhones don't take codes, it's done via Apple's servers, the only way is officially via your network, or a ridiculous price through a 3rd party site that pays off a network employee to get it done.

dcx_badass

iPhones don't take codes, it's done via Apple's servers, the only way is … iPhones don't take codes, it's done via Apple's servers, the only way is officially via your network, or a ridiculous price through a 3rd party site that pays off a network employee to get it done.

​Gets worse for the op.

Original Poster

eslick

try an email to their chief exec, their top customer service team will … try an email to their chief exec, their top customer service team will probably reply quickly and get it fixed for youhttp://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9045&k=57adcbd5&c=Dixons Carphone Plc Chief Executive

Just wanted to say thanks again for this suggestion! I emailed their CEO this afternoon politely explaining the situation and threatening them with Ofcom action, and had a call back within a couple of hours in response to the email. Although nothing's been sorted yet, the guy said that he agreed it shouldn't take six months to unlock a phone and is also going to speak to their technical department about changing my contract to SIM only (which would save me about £30 per month) and is going to call me back Monday afternoon. He assured me that whatever the case he would find a way to remedy the situation. Their whole attitude was completely different. Very happy and surprised that this method works so effectively! Will update again when I know more.

krabople

Just wanted to say thanks again for this suggestion! I emailed their CEO … Just wanted to say thanks again for this suggestion! I emailed their CEO this afternoon politely explaining the situation and threatening them with Ofcom action, and had a call back within a couple of hours in response to the email. Although nothing's been sorted yet, the guy said that he agreed it shouldn't take six months to unlock a phone and is also going to speak to their technical department about changing my contract to SIM only (which would save me about £30 per month) and is going to call me back Monday afternoon. He assured me that whatever the case he would find a way to remedy the situation. Their whole attitude was completely different. Very happy and surprised that this method works so effectively! Will update again when I know more.

Good. Hear you are getting somewhere, let us know when they unlock it for you

Original Poster

eslick

Good. Hear you are getting somewhere, let us know when they unlock it for … Good. Hear you are getting somewhere, let us know when they unlock it for you

Had a call back from the same guy today. They're unlocking my phone with immediate effect and as of next week I'll be downgraded to a £5 per month contract with them and can keep the same mobile number. Thanks again, very happy!

krabople

Had a call back from the same guy today. They're unlocking my phone with … Had a call back from the same guy today. They're unlocking my phone with immediate effect and as of next week I'll be downgraded to a £5 per month contract with them and can keep the same mobile number. Thanks again, very happy!

excellent news, just a shame you needed to go through the ceo route

Original Poster

eslick

excellent news, just a shame you needed to go through the ceo route

I agree, but if enough people do it hopefully they'll change their practices. There's already been one person messaged me on here to find out his email address so that makes at least two of us so far
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767501
      2. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7311388
      3. Tower Hill - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)44
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17886407

See more discussions