Unlock USA iPhone 11 on AT&T

Posted 15th Dec 2019
Long story short, I brought what I was told was an unlocked iPhone 11 from Best Buy in Austin (I have the receipt etc). Got back to the UK to try and use it and it would not work with Vodafone.
Contacted Best Buy and they said unless I bring it back to the store within 14 days then there is nothing they can do (even though it was not want I asked for and it also turned out to be locked to AT&T and have a number assigned to it - again not what I asked).
I took it to an apple store and all they could do was tell me it was locked to AT&T and nothing they could do (even when I showed them proof of ownership etc).
I went into AT&T on a recent work trip to the USA (about 2 months after I brought the phone and to a different part of the USA) who tried to help and submitted an unlock request but I have had an email to say this has failed and no reason why.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can do? At the moment I have an expensive paperweight
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Look for a Turbo Sim on ebay circa £5. It's a small adaptor which spoofs the unlock. It only works with a major UK network SIM and not MNVOs. Currently doing that in an iPhone 8 and is working well so far.
🙀 🦌 🙀 🦌 🙀 🦌 .
This is why you shouldn’t have bought it from America
Sell it, put it on American eBay, or when you go next take it to store to sell....

why hey didn’t you try the phone over there with your english sim
Are you going to USA again soon? If so, I would Contact AT and T again, only issue is it might need to connect to network in USA to transfer?

I had the same issue when I bought iPhone from Target in LA and it was locked to Sprint. Had to wait 6 months to return to USA - got sent round the houses by Target online and phone. Went in branch and got assertive, could show phone had never been used and I just wanted exchange, the agreed but then didn’t have any unlocked ones left so gave me my money back.
ChrisKaru15/12/2019 23:05

Look for a Turbo Sim on ebay circa £5. It's a small adaptor which spoofs …Look for a Turbo Sim on ebay circa £5. It's a small adaptor which spoofs the unlock. It only works with a major UK network SIM and not MNVOs. Currently doing that in an iPhone 8 and is working well so far.

Looks like the turbo sim won't work in an iPhone11 as the SIM tray caddy is different and you cannot secure the turbo sim in place
Vortal20/12/2019 10:27

Looks like the turbo sim won't work in an iPhone11 as the SIM tray caddy …Looks like the turbo sim won't work in an iPhone11 as the SIM tray caddy is different and you cannot secure the turbo sim in place

Are you sure? The one I have is Turbo Sim states it works with iPhone 11. It is extremely thin with a slight notch to hold in position.
ChrisKaru20/12/2019 10:48

Are you sure? The one I have is Turbo Sim states it works with iPhone 11. …Are you sure? The one I have is Turbo Sim states it works with iPhone 11. It is extremely thin with a slight notch to hold in position.

Yea, it said iPhone on the turbo sim as well but won't stay in place as they is no catch/holding place on the iphone 11 caddy now (was on iPhoneX and XR etc)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions