Expired

Unlocking iPhone 6 from CPW

Found 23rd Sep 2014
Hello,

My contract is about to run out and I want to upgrade to iPhone 6. I am on o2 network and want to stay on o2. The thing is that I want to have the iPhone unlocked but o2 will not unlock it for couple of months since the release.

When I got my iPhone 5 straight after the release I bought it from Carphone Warehouse. Their iPhones lock themselves up to first sim card inserted. After a bit of research I found that Three is straightforward when it comes to unlocking, no minimum period etc.
What I did then was I inserted Three sim card first, the phone locked itself to Three. I called Three from pay-as-you go number and requested unlock, they charged £15 or so and the phone was unlocked after couple of days. I then used my main o2 simcard and had the phone unlocked ever since.

I am now reading that all phones sold by Three are unlocked as standard and if the phone is locked to Three they unlock it free of charge.

My question is whether anyone tried it recently. What happens then if the iPhone from CPW is initially activated using Three sim? Does the phone remain unlocked? Does it lock to Three? Is it still so easy to get it unlocked by their customer service? I also noticed that CPW no longer deals with Three, will it have any impact?
Community Updates
AskiPhoneO2iPhone 6
20 Comments
i inserted 3 sim on my i6+ imstead of vodafone..Ill give a try and fill a form for unlocking as iam pay monthly customer.will keep u updated
From Three: Did you know that your phone is already unlocked? You can insert a working non-Three SIM card if you'd like to use a different service. Thanks.

i cant try other sim..it might get locked onto that network cause when i check imei info website it says network status unknown..
i thought CPW sold sim free phones?
my last purchase from them, an android in 2010 was unlocked, as have been other phones bought by other people since.
iPhone may be a different kettle of fish....however my iPhone has come from the apple store and is unlocked, has worked with different sims/networks
DennisG

i thought CPW sold sim free phones?my last purchase from them, an android … i thought CPW sold sim free phones?my last purchase from them, an android in 2010 was unlocked, as have been other phones bought by other people since.iPhone may be a different kettle of fish....however my iPhone has come from the apple store and is unlocked, has worked with different sims/networks

iphones from Apple come unlocked, iphones from Carphone Warehouse lock to the first network sim activated on.

Original Poster
secretmsg

From Three: Did you know that your phone is already unlocked? You can … From Three: Did you know that your phone is already unlocked? You can insert a working non-Three SIM card if you'd like to use a different service. Thanks.i cant try other sim..it might get locked onto that network cause when i check imei info website it says network status unknown..

That's what I was afraid of as well. How did it work out?
I am still using 3 sim in it, haven't tried any other sim in it.
any update to report? I'm keen to do the same thing?

Put in a 3 sim card first, and then request an unlock from three
DennisG

i thought CPW sold sim free phones?my last purchase from them, an android … i thought CPW sold sim free phones?my last purchase from them, an android in 2010 was unlocked, as have been other phones bought by other people since.iPhone may be a different kettle of fish....however my iPhone has come from the apple store and is unlocked, has worked with different sims/networks

Sim free = unlocked until locked to first sim inserted

Unlocked = always unlocked to any sim
I ordered an iphone6 with o2 contract from CPW
me being smart thought let me put a 3 sim in it first to lock it to three; then use the free unlock to get it unlocked...

now I have been waiting with a brick sitting there for past few days (5 days so far)....
thinking of returning to CPW within my 14 day as I have yet to activate the o2 sim.... (or even insert it into a phone)
Original Poster
hashman

I ordered an iphone6 with o2 contract from CPWme being smart thought let … I ordered an iphone6 with o2 contract from CPWme being smart thought let me put a 3 sim in it first to lock it to three; then use the free unlock to get it unlocked...now I have been waiting with a brick sitting there for past few days (5 days so far)....thinking of returning to CPW within my 14 day as I have yet to activate the o2 sim.... (or even insert it into a phone)

Have you requested the unlock from Three? Why do you call it a brick?
ilikedeals

Have you requested the unlock from Three? Why do you call it a brick?

Because i have a phone with a payg sim in it and my unlimited minutes sim is sitting on the side without a phone to use it in.....

yes reauested through the three website
did you managed to unlock the iphone? how much day it took to unlock iphone 6 if we use three pay as you go phone?
I bought iPhone 6 on EE from carphonewarehouse on February 2015
But i insert Network 3 Sim; (i thougt that if i put network 3 sim then my phone going to be unlock to any network) but i was worng; i contact with three customer service but they said contact to CPW i contact them they said contact EE i contact them they said ur phone is lock on Network 3 so u go their; then finally Network 3 Glasgow Customer service said me i have to pay £60 then they will unlock; i refuse this offer
There is no other solution to unlock iPhone; i wait 5 months now iphone 6 CPW unlocking available on £50 and i already apply for this service
Its not just i save £10 and wait 5 months
Its just only that Network Three going to charge me £60 for no reason and

I apply for unlocking service 2 days before i m waiting for result
Acifbrohi

I bought iPhone 6 on EE from carphonewarehouse on February 2015 But i … I bought iPhone 6 on EE from carphonewarehouse on February 2015 But i insert Network 3 Sim; (i thougt that if i put network 3 sim then my phone going to be unlock to any network) but i was worng; i contact with three customer service but they said contact to CPW i contact them they said contact EE i contact them they said ur phone is lock on Network 3 so u go their; then finally Network 3 Glasgow Customer service said me i have to pay £60 then they will unlock; i refuse this offerThere is no other solution to unlock iPhone; i wait 5 months now iphone 6 CPW unlocking available on £50 and i already apply for this serviceIts not just i save £10 and wait 5 months Its just only that Network Three going to charge me £60 for no reason and I apply for unlocking service 2 days before i m waiting for result

Did u mentioned to 3 that it was from EE?? it took 1 week for me after a lot of hassle to get iphone 6 plus unlocked.. they asked proof of purchase via email and then it got unlockd..

Keep trying with 3 as carphone and EE can't help u.
secretmsg

Did u mentioned to 3 that it was from EE?? it took 1 week for me after a … Did u mentioned to 3 that it was from EE?? it took 1 week for me after a lot of hassle to get iphone 6 plus unlocked.. they asked proof of purchase via email and then it got unlockd..Keep trying with 3 as carphone and EE can't help u.

Yes i told to 3 customer service about EE and i send them the proof of purchase;
Problem is that im currently living in Dublin and can not go to carphonewarehouse or 3 strore by my slef... And i told them that it i very important for me that u unlock my phone so i can use Local Sim/Network
But very disappointed to here after 2 weeks of hassle Three customer service ask me £60 to unlock
I m pay as u customer of three;
Three customer service is rubbish they just give hassle to their customer they treat customer like Thug
hashman

I ordered an iphone6 with o2 contract from CPWme being smart thought let … I ordered an iphone6 with o2 contract from CPWme being smart thought let me put a 3 sim in it first to lock it to three; then use the free unlock to get it unlocked...now I have been waiting with a brick sitting there for past few days (5 days so far)....thinking of returning to CPW within my 14 day as I have yet to activate the o2 sim.... (or even insert it into a phone)

Hi, I have done exactly the same as you, did 3 finally unlock it for you or did carphonewarehouse help?
Thanks
kiddy

Hi, I have done exactly the same as you, did 3 finally unlock it for you … Hi, I have done exactly the same as you, did 3 finally unlock it for you or did carphonewarehouse help?Thanks

Neither
I wrote to cpw that phone did not work and they did a swap
At which pount i put my o2 sim

I got it unlocked from o2 a few months later for free
hashman

NeitherI wrote to cpw that phone did not work and they did a swapAt which … NeitherI wrote to cpw that phone did not work and they did a swapAt which pount i put my o2 simI got it unlocked from o2 a few months later for free

Thanks
hashman

NeitherI wrote to cpw that phone did not work and they did a swapAt which … NeitherI wrote to cpw that phone did not work and they did a swapAt which pount i put my o2 simI got it unlocked from o2 a few months later for free

I inserted a 3 sim and it is now locked to them, i only received the phone yesterday, the iPhone was showing as at cpw sim free, do you think i can take it back to store and get a refund as it has 14 days return period?
What reason should i give as i have inserted 3 sim?

Thanks
Edited by: "kiddy" 24th Sep 2016
kiddy

I inserted a 3 sim and it is now locked to them, i only received the … I inserted a 3 sim and it is now locked to them, i only received the phone yesterday, the iPhone was showing as at cpw sim free, do you think i can take it back to store and get a refund as it has 14 days return period?What reason should i give as i have inserted 3 sim?Thanks

I didnt tell them i inserted 3 sim
I just said that the error message kept coming when i put my o2 sim and it didnt work

They didnt ask any more questions
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants