Groups

Unpartitioning a hard drive

i have a 1tb hard drive that i have managed to partition into 2 ~500gb partitions by accident.
    i was trying to make a partition of 2gb and messed up.

1) How can i un-partition the drive without losing the data that is on there
    2) how can i make a fat32 partition of 2gb after i have unpartitioned

Using Vista and the drive is External and not system

9 Comments

I do not think youo can re-partition / un-partition the drive without losinf data. You need to take backup first.

1 & 2) Copy the data to another drive and then go to Control Panel\Administrative Tools & select "computer management". Right click the drive and select delete volume. Once its deleted it right click it again and create your 2gb fat32 partition. Once thats been created you can go ahead and make whatever additional partitions you need.

Original Poster

B*****ks.
    thats gonna take like 3 hours oh well.
    Rep for you both.

There is software that will let you resize (as well as merge) partitions - PartitionMagic and Acronis will both do it but aren't free. Some others ]here. Its always a slight risk though doing anything with partition tables so make sure any irreplacable stuff is backed up elsewhere...

Jetpac;5457708

B*****ks.thats gonna take like 3 hours oh well.Rep for you both.

If you use software to partition it with data on then the same software can probably merge partitions.

Windows Vista's own disk management can expand a partition into the empty space without destroying data if the second one has nothing on it and can be deleted.

EndlessWaves;5458018

If you use software to partition it with data on then the same software … If you use software to partition it with data on then the same software can probably merge partitions.Windows Vista's own disk management can expand a partition into the empty space without destroying data if the second one has nothing on it and can be deleted.

Yeah good point, Vistas disk managment console has options for expanding and shrinking volumes.

Delete the second 500gb (i'm assuming your datas on the 1st) and then expand the 1st 500gb partition upto make a total roughly around 998gb using space from the deleted 2nd partition. After that format the remaining 2 or so gb to fat32.

Original Poster

DVS_Dee;5458561

Yeah good point, Vistas disk managment console has options for expanding … Yeah good point, Vistas disk managment console has options for expanding and shrinking volumes.Delete the second 500gb (i'm assuming your datas on the 1st) and then expand the 1st 500gb partition upto make a total roughly around 998gb using space from the deleted 2nd partition. After that format the remaining 2 or so gb to fat32.

just delete the partition yea? so it becomes un-partitioned space? (i think thats what its called?)
    theres an hour left on the data transfer so i will let that finish and back that up first then try that so watch this space + rep for you guys

Jetpac;5459202

just delete the partition yea? so it becomes un-partitioned space? (i … just delete the partition yea? so it becomes un-partitioned space? (i think thats what its called?)theres an hour left on the data transfer so i will let that finish and back that up first then try that so watch this space + rep for you guys

Yeah, if the second partition has got nothing on it then delete it so it becomes unpartitioned space and then expand the first partition.

Original Poster

Sorted!
    Thank you my esteemed HUKD friends
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1817
      2. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410
      4. [Xbox] 6 Months Xbox Live For £14.99 (When Purchasing Selected Games At Ama…34

See more discussions