Unruly hair.

Found 28th Jan
I have the most thick, unruly hair. It has no style etc it makes me so upset as I literally can't control it and this week a couple of other have said about it which has made me even lower....never straightened it as I don't want to damage it etc........but I think it's time for taking..........heated brush or straighteners??? Also any good value decent ones you know of please?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments
A good haircut, decent salon shampoo and conditioner. The odd treatment, perhaps a "Brazilian blow dry" and most definitely a pair of good straighteners (GHD or Cloud 9) which won't overheat your hair. Use a protector spray too.
Better ruly than unruly...
You can get it chemically treated by a hairdresser to straighten it. It usually lasts at least 12 months.
Definitely invest in a good pair of straighteners (ghd are around 100 but worth every penny). I am a redhead with thick coarse hair which can be fluffy / frizzy / flyaway in its natural state.
After trying ghd straighteners 15 years ago I will never go back! They leave my hair smooth and shiny, quite possibly the best thing I ever bought, and after 15 years I'm only on my second pair so they last really well.
Also a good shampoo and conditioner can make a big difference, I use wella professionals range. Purifying to stop product build up and an enrich conditioner for coarse hair. It is a bit pricey at approx £13 per bottle, although at 1 litre I find this lasts approx 4 months (even with my hubby stealing it!) and an every other day wash. I actually think it works out cheaper than the ones I used to buy in boots. It does come in smaller 250ml bottles too if you wanted to try it out before committing to the more expensive bigger bottles. They have a quite a bit range and a few for coarse hair which will help you.
Check out justmylook here...
justmylook.co.uk/wel…m42
it might be worth speaking to a good hairdresser too as they will be able to recommend a good product for your hair type..just be aware they will probably suggest the expensive salon ones. Wella professionals I find are top quality but reasonably priced.
Edited by: "Suzannzan" 28th Jan
I feel your pain. My hair is the same and straighteners just fry the ends. Have you tried putting coconut oil on? You have to be careful not to use too much as then it will just look greasy but the right amount can work wonders. Ive tried a heated brush but just ended up with straighter frizz. So I don't go for the straight look now but have just tried Bedheads Foxy Curls creme and mousse and hairs not looking too bad at the moment. Oh to have lovely straight hair!!
I have wild unruly hair. My hairdresser loves to straighten it but it just looks weird. I don't wish to sound critical, but given your previous posts, I don't think a set of straighteners is the answer to your issues.
Original Poster
jude72195 h, 56 m ago

I feel your pain. My hair is the same and straighteners just fry the …I feel your pain. My hair is the same and straighteners just fry the ends. Have you tried putting coconut oil on? You have to be careful not to use too much as then it will just look greasy but the right amount can work wonders. Ive tried a heated brush but just ended up with straighter frizz. So I don't go for the straight look now but have just tried Bedheads Foxy Curls creme and mousse and hairs not looking too bad at the moment. Oh to have lovely straight hair!!

You sound so similar. People say a decent hairdresser but no offence they can't change the hair I was born with and honestly apart from hack it up one time trying to think it out sadly it's best left as it is with regular trims etc. I will try that, I went off products as like you say I was making it look like grease! Oh wouldn't it be lovely! Xx
After I wash my hair, when it's damp, I wear a woolly hat for 10-15 mins, it flattens and straightens my hair.
Hair that is unruly and appears to be very thick is often curly hair, that isn't treated as curly hair. If you wash it with shampoo and let it air dry with no other products and without touching it at all while it does, you will see what your truly have.

If it is curly, you're better off learning how to take care of it as curly hair. How to make those curls smooth, sleek and defined instead of a ball of fluff. Rather than trying to beat it into submission. Otherwise will you always have damaged hair that behaves worse.

It will probably be craving moisture. Something like Aussie moist deep conditioner may help. If you brush it or comb it when dry, it will poof up. If that's not desired, stop it. Comb it only when wet and full of conditioner.

There's loads of great advice online for curly hair, you might find it life changing.
Edited by: "MSK." 28th Jan
My house mate has incredibly unruly dry curly hair. She has tried most products on the market and swears by Lush products, not sure the specifics but I’m sure someone in store can advise you.

She has also tried all straighteners including ghds. She recommends L’Oreal Steampods, she uses them once a week and it can last up to 5 days.

I personally would advise against a straightening brush. I’ve recently had 7 inches chopped off and the brush is brilliant for max shoulder length hair. It doesn’t straighten as such, just gets rid of frizz.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants