Unsafe/Dangerous Pets at Home Frisbee

Found 1st Oct 2012
Pets at Home Frisbee

petsathome.com/sho…851

I have reported my concerns regarding this product to Pets at Home customer services who choose to ignore my emails and concerns so I thought I would mention it here among other places in order to create awareness of both the unsuitability of the product and Pets at Homes attitude to pet care.

I am a professional dog walker, carer and boarder.

I bought one of these frisbees from a POS display recently. I threw the Frisbee for a clients dog (springer spaniel). The dog had the frisbee for just a few of seconds, taking only one or two bites, when trying to pick it up. The Frisbee is made of brittle plastic which breaks into pointed shards and sharp edges. Sharp enough to slice into my finger when picking one up.

I reported this to Pet at Home when the dog was taken to the vet with internal bleeding. I phoned customer services and spoke to a lady named Farrah. I followed up the call, as requested, with an email including pictures of the damaged frisbee with clearly sharp, serated edges where it had broken. I have been into the store to show the frisbee to the duty manager and followed up my email via the pets at home site.

I even attempted to post a review of the frisbee which has not been published.

I feel there is no excuse for their lack of response other than wilful negligence.

I have chosen to create some awareness of my experience. I would like to know of others who have had similar experiences with Pets at Home.
Community Updates
17 Comments
Surely its obvious what is going to happen when a dog bites into a cheap £1 plastic frisbee?
greenmachine12

Surely its obvious what is going to happen when a dog bites into a cheap … Surely its obvious what is going to happen when a dog bites into a cheap £1 plastic frisbee?

Yes, that's right! A dog should learn to carry it with it's paws!

Unbelieveable!

Have you tried reporting it to an animal products regulator? (Not sure if there is one... could be a branch of the RSPCA)
This is not on the list of approved toys to be used by Army dogs. I suggest you get hold of the list and only use toys approved by them, they know their stuff.

p.s. A Kong is approved as long as it has a rope going through it so you can pull it out of the dogs mouth if they swallow it somehow.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 1st Oct 2012
An obvious solution is to remove the dogs razor sharp teeth or even consider putting the dog to sleep.
Cheers for the warning OP - not the type of frisbee I would buy for our dog, but fair play, that does look very cheap and nasty. We tend to use the rubberised, flexible, ring-type frisbee for our dog - easy for them to pick up and chew and tug at with their teeth and doesn't break or splinter because of it's flexibility.
Let Watchdog know they are having a run on Pets at Home.

I bought one of these frisbees from a POS display recently.

Should have expected it to be a Piece Of **** then!
ShaunnyBwoy

Yes, that's right! A dog should learn to carry it with it's … Yes, that's right! A dog should learn to carry it with it's paws!Unbelieveable!Have you tried reporting it to an animal products regulator? (Not sure if there is one... could be a branch of the RSPCA)

Your not getting my point, it's a cheap nasty plastic one. It's obviously going to shatter etc when attacked.
greenmachine12

Surely its obvious what is going to happen when a dog bites into a cheap … Surely its obvious what is going to happen when a dog bites into a cheap £1 plastic frisbee?

No.

I expect anything sold to be fit for purpose. (That is your right as a consumer as you are obviously unaware).
While I hardly expected the frisbee to necessarily fly that well or last for years I did expect it to be safe.

I wonder at your comment. I think perhaps the Pets at Home buyer is as ignorant and careless.
woof woof
I hope the dog is making a good recovery.
great deal on, they have 50% off now so only 50p. Great quality at such a low price...maybe the description works but as a dog trainer you must accept some reponsibilty for not think a dog would break a rigid plastic frizbee.

Oneday77

great deal on, they have 50% off now so only 50p. Great quality at such a … great deal on, they have 50% off now so only 50p. Great quality at such a low price...maybe the description works but as a dog trainer you must accept some reponsibilty for not think a dog would break a rigid plastic frizbee.

perhaps, but a toy sold for use with dogs should be safe for use for dogs
sickly sweet

What about the frisbee for gods sake?
Oneday77

great deal on, they have 50% off now so only 50p. Great quality at such a … great deal on, they have 50% off now so only 50p. Great quality at such a low price...maybe the description works but as a dog trainer you must accept some reponsibilty for not think a dog would break a rigid plastic frizbee.

Not at all. Responsibility for what? I did not manufacture or sell the product. I bought it in good faith expecting it to have been tested and fit for purpose.

I don't use frisbees and it didn't occur to me that Pets at Home would deliberately sell items that they know are unsafe.

You are being a little simple. There are many kinds of plastic and being rigid is certainly not an indication of brittleness or structure.
Go into your kitchen and pick up a few food containers. Rigid? Yes. Brittle? No.

Regardless it is not my nor any owners responsibility to test products for Pets at Home.

I can see from your other posts that you are an angry little fellow so I won't take your post too seriously.
sickly sweet

He was due to be picked up last night. He was diagnosed (unconfirmed) with Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. I'll be seeing him shortly and possibly giving him a short walk at lunchtime if I think he will benefit.
Hi DogsRorS

I am sorry to hear what's happened this has been flagged up through our google alerts service.

I am the customer service manager at Pets at Home, can you send me an email on cservice@petsathome.co.uk so that I can have a look into this case. Unfortunately I cannot search for you at the moment as I do not have your full name.

Many thanks,

Pets at Home
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants