Update 14/8 - 42 Stores to Close - List in OP - Homebase closing 60 stores - more than 1000 jobs at risk

Found 8th Aug
anyone else looking forward to the feeding frenzy for the stock clearance?

I couldn't care less about the chain as every store is a dump and the prices & stock are all over the place.

bring it on.

DIY retailer Homebase has announced plans to close 42 stores, putting about 1,500 jobs at risk.

Here is a full list of the stores affected:

• Aberdeen Bridge of Don
  • Aberdeen Portlethen
  • Aylesbury
  • Bedford St Johns
  • Bradford
  • Brentford
  • Bristol
  • Canterbury
  • Cardiff Newport Road
  • Croydon Purley Way
  • Droitwich
  • Dublin Fonthill
  • Dublin Naas Road
  • Dundee
  • East Kilbride
  • Exeter
  • Gateshead
  • Grantham
  • Greenock
  • Hawick
  • Inverness
  • Ipswich
  • Limerick
  • London Merton
  • London New Southgate
  • London Wimbledon
  • Macclesfield
  • Oxford Botley Road
  • Peterborough
  • Pollokshaws
  • Poole Tower Park
  • Robroyston
  • Salisbury
  • Seven Kings
  • Solihull
  • Southampton Hedge End
  • Southend
  • Stirling
  • Swindon Drakes Way
  • Swindon Orbital
  • Warrington
  • Whitby

Reported in the news that 1000+ jobs at risk, with Homebase announcing next week to close a quarter of it's stores.

Hilco Capital, which struck a deal to buy the DIY chain for a £1 in May, is expected to outline proposals for a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) that will pave the way for roughly 60 of Homebase's 249 outlets to be axed.

3007657.jpg

More info here
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
A little insensitive to be looking forward to 1000 people losing their jobs....
Edited by: "mds1256" 8th Aug
I'll defend the OP.... the staff have known this has been coming for a long long time. If you still work for homebase/bunnings and aren't yet looking for another job, you have issues.

It's not the staff's fault though - it's a business that has been ripped apart for absolutely no reason and destroyed in less than 18 months. It's incredible really. How to waste millions and millions of pounds.

The mind boggles.
18 Comments
A little insensitive to be looking forward to 1000 people losing their jobs....
Edited by: "mds1256" 8th Aug
mds12561 m ago

A little insensitive to be looking forward to 1000 people loosing their …A little insensitive to be looking forward to 1000 people loosing their jobs....

Not really.
I didn't sight the job loses in the title. An admin changed it.

This app is about DEALS....
And I'm looking forward to DEALS
sebs4 m ago

Not really. I didn't sight the job loses in the title. An admin changed …Not really. I didn't sight the job loses in the title. An admin changed it.This app is about DEALS....And I'm looking forward to DEALS

Even then, the implication is you are a cold hearted person.
I'll defend the OP.... the staff have known this has been coming for a long long time. If you still work for homebase/bunnings and aren't yet looking for another job, you have issues.

It's not the staff's fault though - it's a business that has been ripped apart for absolutely no reason and destroyed in less than 18 months. It's incredible really. How to waste millions and millions of pounds.

The mind boggles.
Always more jobs for Amazon delivery drivers or warehouse pickers

People STILL go on about stores closing and people looking their jobs. It baffles me.

I will ALWAYS buy things in a shop over an online retailer.. If I get something for the extra money. like decent customer service !!! That hardly ever happens any more. Let these dinosaur shops go bust. They're pointless. They offer nothing to the consumer.

You pay more in B&Q than you do in Amazon. But I can guarantee I can find someone who can help with a question of recommend something to me.

Go into homebase ... and I get miserable rude people on minimum wage who couldn't give a ****
Dirty poorly kept shop with bad stock management.

Am I bothered they are closing 60 stores? Nope. That's the truth. Would you rather I lied?

Maybe the other 200 off stores might perform better with new management and those people might be assured a safer job in the future? Maybe

Don't be such a snowflake
They have been on the decline for a long time and stuff sold has already been on clearance for a long time too so don’t expect much of a bargain.
Edited by: "MR1123" 8th Aug
They will just sell off the tat anything decent will go to the remaining stores.
Didnt Homebase go under once before? It seemed to rise from the ashes
Well in Harrogate we have a Homebase and B&Q, I'd miss Homebase, it's further from me but I go there instead of B&Q everytime. B&Q is small, stocks very little but the basics and is pricey.
58,000 jobs had been created last month alone, so not a big loss really.
HistoricDealer1 h, 39 m ago

it's a business that has been ripped apart for absolutely no reason and …it's a business that has been ripped apart for absolutely no reason and destroyed in less than 18 months.

Homebase's problems go back much further than that. For as long as I can remember I've found them to be more expensive, have poorer quality own brand items and employ less knowledgeable staff than their main rivals B&Q.
It's been overpriced for years and years. The only reason I go there now is if I need something quick because it's closer than B&Q and Wickes. It's a shame for the employees though.
Its sad, but expected. Our local homebase is next to a B&Q, wickes, screw fix and build base and they turned it into a a clearance outlet, random bins of crap between 25-50% discount and manager specials, its like the specials at Aldi but more disorganised.
If you are shopping for something specific they still get beaten for price!
Nope Homebase is pants now, has been since Sainsbury’s sold it off all them years ago!
Chiptivo4 h, 58 m ago

58,000 jobs had been created last month alone, so not a big loss really.

Yep everything is peachy
I have always found Homebase to be expensive and there is hardly every anyone about in our nearest store if you need advice or information about a product.
Confirming the store closures, Homebase boss Damian McGloughlin said: “Launching a CVA has been a difficult decision and one that we have not taken lightly. “Homebase has been one of the most recognisable retail brands for almost 40 years but the reality is we need to continue to take decisive action to address the underperformance of the business and deal with the burden of our cost base, as well as to protect thousands of jobs. “The CVA is therefore an essential measure for the business to take and will enable us to refocus our operations and rebuild our offer for the years ahead.”
Another casualty of capitalism....
If feel sorry for those who will lose jobs.

My local store has been useful over the years, have purchased items difficult to locate elsewhere locally and a decent price.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants