Update for Pixel 4 after security concerns

Posted 21st Oct
Bit of a heads up for any Pixel 4 users, after it has been found that face unlock can be circumnavigated, even if the subjects eyes are closed, fuelling security fears amongst users.

3312674-ZRHNk.jpg(via Sky News)

It was also suggested that someone else could get into the phone by holding it in front of the face of its sleeping owner.

In response, Google said the feature met security requirements and stated that it would "improve face unlock over time".

The tech company now says it is working on an option for users to require their eyes to be open to unlock the phone, which will be delivered in a software update "in the coming months".

A Google spokesman said: "In the meantime, if any Pixel 4 users are concerned that someone may take their phone and try to unlock it while their eyes are closed, they can activate a security feature that requires a pin, pattern or password for the next unlock.

"Pixel 4 face unlock meets the security requirements as a strong biometric, and can be used for payments and app authentication, including banking apps."

Seems like an update could be a few months away, so worth adding a password on top of your existing unlock method until the fix is rolled out
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

8 Comments
If people had genuine security concerns they wouldn't use thse gimicky face unlocks anyway.
lol reminds me of a mate who locked his ipad with his toe print to stop his kids (or so he says) using it when hes asleep after a long day at work as they were buying loads of game addons and content

apparently they were Authorising purchases with his fingerprint whilst he snoozed
Or with most other phones tap their finger on the reader and same outcome
It does make you wonder what the testing teams were up to with this phone, they must have known this for a long time
How come no-one has mentioned the 'flaw' in the IPhone face unlock - I can unlock mine with reflective sunglasses on. It supposedly needs to see your eyes.
Bigfootpete21/10/2019 17:20

How come no-one has mentioned the 'flaw' in the IPhone face unlock - I can …How come no-one has mentioned the 'flaw' in the IPhone face unlock - I can unlock mine with reflective sunglasses on. It supposedly needs to see your eyes.

Or the Samsung fingerprint reader that doesn't work if you use a screen protector?!

How come no-one has mentioned the 'flaw' in the IPhone face unlock - I can …How come no-one has mentioned the 'flaw' in the IPhone face unlock - I can unlock mine with reflective sunglasses on. It supposedly needs to see your eyes.

The ir emitter can see through the lenses

shut your eyes next time you are wearing them, or you have enabled “disable attentive features
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 22nd Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants