*Update* Last day to spend paper £5 notes -Spend / swap them by 5th May!

Found 5th Apr 2017
You need to check your piggy banks and mattresses for old fivers, not legal tender from 5th May - banks may accept them after that date but that is at their discretion.

Bank of England news

Update 4/5/17 - Last chance to change your £5 notes! - NeoTrix

Community Updates
Misc
58 Comments
so according to the news there is still £800m worth of notes which didn't get through banks in the last 6 months. How much of this is lost/damaged? Good windfall to government
You know, with the fact that everyone needs the extra room...

After that date I will happily take any of your unwanted notes..... just happy to do my civic duty
Bank of England will always accept them.
Anyone think it's worth keeping an old £5 note incase it's worth something in future?
You will still be able to take them to the Bank of England. They even take withdrawn banknotes

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

A friend of mine who works in Barclays tells me that that Bank still accept / convert old / withdrawn British banknotes.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 5th Apr 2017
kvn618

so according to the news there is still £800m worth of notes which didn't … so according to the news there is still £800m worth of notes which didn't get through banks in the last 6 months. How much of this is lost/damaged? Good windfall to government

a benefit to taxpayers, most of us!
Cheers, wasn't aware of the deadline. i know you'll still be able to take to the bank but they've made more noise about the £1 coins expiring than the £5 notes
Predikuesi

You will still be able to take them to the Bank of England. They even … You will still be able to take them to the Bank of England. They even take withdrawn banknoteshttp://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspxA friend of mine who works in Barclays tells me that that Bank still accept / convert old / withdrawn British banknotes.

​Tried to change some old ten pound notes on Saturday was turned down by Barclays and I'm a customer there.
radium

​Tried to change some old ten pound notes on Saturday was turned down by B … ​Tried to change some old ten pound notes on Saturday was turned down by Barclays and I'm a customer there.

You didn't read that comment properly, did you?
Banned
Loving the fact of all the drug dealers sitting on hundreds &/or thousands of old fivers
radium

​Tried to change some old ten pound notes on Saturday was turned down by B … ​Tried to change some old ten pound notes on Saturday was turned down by Barclays and I'm a customer there.

Barclays are not the Bank of England..

Thankfully. oO
YouDontWantToKnow

Loving the fact of all the drug dealers sitting on hundreds &/or … Loving the fact of all the drug dealers sitting on hundreds &/or thousands of old fivers

They have plenty of time to get rid of them.

If they really want to crack down, they should do what Modi did in India and ban notes with immediate effect.
Those who want a significant amount of old notes exchanged have to prove it wasnt illegally gained and that it has been taxed.
A few years ago they released some defective ones where you could rub out the serial numbers.
Does anyone know if they are worth anything (more than £5).
fps_d0minat0r

They have plenty of time to get rid of them.If they really want to crack … They have plenty of time to get rid of them.If they really want to crack down, they should do what Modi did in India and ban notes with immediate effect.Those who want a significant amount of old notes exchanged have to prove it wasnt illegally gained and that it has been taxed.

What about those with large amounts of legal notes that they can't prove anymore. Elderly people often have large amounts of notes at home for cases of emergency.
dcx_badass

What about those with large amounts of legal notes that they can't prove … What about those with large amounts of legal notes that they can't prove anymore. Elderly people often have large amounts of notes at home for cases of emergency.

By what means would someone be able to amass a large amount of cash legally, yet have no way to prove it?
YouDontWantToKnow

Loving the fact of all the drug dealers sitting on hundreds &/or … Loving the fact of all the drug dealers sitting on hundreds &/or thousands of old fivers

​Erm... if a drug dealer was stashing cash it won't be in fivers. More like fifties.
What happened to "I promise to pay the bearer".
tan159

Erm... if a drug dealer was stashing cash it won't be in fivers. More … Erm... if a drug dealer was stashing cash it won't be in fivers. More like fifties.

Why would they stash money, better to turn it into gold
landros1

What happened to "I promise to pay the bearer".

Nothing. The promise is still valid as all Bank of England notes retain their face value.

If your bank, building society or a Post Office is not willing to accept a note it may be exchanged at the Bank of England (by post or in person).
To send a £5 note to the Bank of England by recorded /signed for delivery will take most of its value.
No problems, just send your old £5 notes to me and I will arrange a party for us X)
Subway gave me the old note. Tried to use it in Asda but the machine wouldn't accept it.
Managed to pass it on to a local fruit/veg guy
landros1

To send a £5 note to the Bank of England by recorded /signed for delivery … To send a £5 note to the Bank of England by recorded /signed for delivery will take most of its value.

£1.75 plus the cost of the envelope, paper (not heavier than 100g including the weight of the bank note), ink, & your time to stand in a Post Office queue.

Where do you buy your envelopes & writing/printer paper? Sounds like you need a "Deal" on those.
fanpages

2.07€ (£1.75) plus the cost of the envelope, paper (not heavier than 100g … 2.07€ (£1.75) plus the cost of the envelope, paper (not heavier than 100g including the weight of the bank note), ink, & your time to stand in a Post Office queue.Where do you buy your envelopes & writing/printer paper? Sounds like you need a "Deal" on those.

In recent years all currency withdrawals are done with indecent haste (like the Houblon £50 note).
Error440

Why would they stash money, better to turn it into gold

​If they were that smart would they be selling illegal drugs?
OMG. Just found one of these at home. Will have to try and use it now. Such a nuisance as I will end up with coin change, which I really hate.
mutley1

OMG. Just found one of these at home. Will have to try and use it now. … OMG. Just found one of these at home. Will have to try and use it now. Such a nuisance as I will end up with coin change, which I really hate.

OMG what a hardship!
Why not just donate it to charity if you are all that bothered. Plenty of decent charities around that would be delighted with a £5 donation.
takethatfan1978

OMG what a hardship! Why not just donate it to charity if you are all … OMG what a hardship! Why not just donate it to charity if you are all that bothered. Plenty of decent charities around that would be delighted with a £5 donation.

I hate the way that notes are always being withdrawn. There have been so many. The US dollar is always legal tender irrespective of new releases. It is difficult to keep track of all the withdrawn notes. I may just put it into my bank account as I don't want the coin change.

I already donate to charity.
mutley1

I hate the way that notes are always being withdrawn. There have been so … I hate the way that notes are always being withdrawn. There have been so many. The US dollar is always legal tender irrespective of new releases. It is difficult to keep track of all the withdrawn notes. I may just put it into my bank account as I don't want the coin change.I already donate to charity.

As discussed above, the Bank of England will always honour their promise to the bearer of a banknote.
mutley1

I hate the way that notes are always being withdrawn. There have been so … I hate the way that notes are always being withdrawn. There have been so many. The US dollar is always legal tender irrespective of new releases. It is difficult to keep track of all the withdrawn notes. I may just put it into my bank account as I don't want the coin change.I already donate to charity.

At the end of the day there are worse things to get stressed about than getting coins as change!

It's probably more hassle visiting a bank to deposit a £5 note than it is putting it in a charity tin or just spending the flipping thing.

Gee whiz, how to make something out of nothing oO
takethatfan1978

At the end of the day there are worse things to get stressed about than … At the end of the day there are worse things to get stressed about than getting coins as change! It's probably more hassle visiting a bank to deposit a £5 note than it is putting it in a charity tin or just spending the flipping thing.Gee whiz, how to make something out of nothing oO

Some people earn so much money per hour that they could pay somebody to spend their cash for them, & keep the change.
I believe that we only have until next Fri 5/5/17 to spend/bank them.
landros1

I believe that we only have until next Fri 5/5/17 to spend/bank them.

I took takethatfan's advice and went down to sainsburys to spend the offending note. Funny the way that a fiver no longer look attractive since i have to make an effort to spend it X)

My natwest bank is fairly relaxed at taking in old out of circulation notes if you put them into your account. I found two £20 notes in the drawer last year that had been out of circulation for a long time so I thought I would have to make the trip to the bank of england, but luckily the bank accepted them.

HSBC is the same as I have put old notes into my husband's account there for him and they were also fine. So I would guess the big high street banks will be fine.
mutley1

I took takethatfan's advice and went down to sainsburys to spend the … I took takethatfan's advice and went down to sainsburys to spend the offending note. Funny the way that a fiver no longer look attractive since i have to make an effort to spend it X)My natwest bank is fairly relaxed at taking in old out of circulation notes if you put them into your account. I found two £20 notes in the drawer last year that had been out of circulation for a long time so I thought I would have to make the trip to the bank of england, but luckily the bank accepted them.HSBC is the same as I have put old notes into my husband's account there for him and they were also fine. So I would guess the big high street banks will be fine.

It was hardly advice, more like common sense X)
takethatfan1978

It was hardly advice, more like common sense X)

Unfortunately, I lack common sense, so to me it was advice
I have done a search & they are being offered for sale at between £4/£40 each but I have only found 1 that has sold (for £10).
LeahMinttoutou

Anyone think it's worth keeping an old £5 note incase it's worth … Anyone think it's worth keeping an old £5 note incase it's worth something in future?

no, there's plenty of uncirculated ones already in collections
eset12345

no, there's plenty of uncirculated ones already in collections

Okay. I collect 50p's and £2coins and AA £5 so guess I don't need any more loitering about! Lol
LeahMinttoutou

Okay. I collect 50p's and £2coins and AA £5 so guess I don't need any m … Okay. I collect 50p's and £2coins and AA £5 so guess I don't need any more loitering about! Lol

why do you collect 50p and £2 coins? i particularly hate the look and feel of the £2 coin. i can just about live with the £1 coin as that can be used for the shopping trolleys. i have an irrational hatred of coins so I try to use them as soon as i get any change.

i rarely use cash as i really hate getting coin change so i mainly use cards to pay for goods unless i am in a small shop where they don't take cards.
I've got an old ten shilling note from the late 60's in pretty much immaculate condition. I wonder if it's worth, spending power wise, as much now as then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants