update on my npower gas/electric bill....

53 replies
Found 14th Oct 2008
friday I recieved a letter from npower saying my monthly direct debit will go from £65 to £177 a month!!!
well phoned npower and I have the wrong electric meter in! i have economy 7 which is wrong for me as I have gas in my house? they are coming round to change my meter which will dramatically reduce my bills she said. phew!

53 Comments

im battling with EON at the moment,I have prepaid gas and elec meters and have recently changed to scottish power,im getting ratty letters from EON saying i owe them £107,rung them and explained i couldnt possibly owe them this as its pay as you go but the dippy mare didnt get it or played dumb.

Do i ignore them or try ringing again?!

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;3192168

Huge sigh of relief then!!!!! Pleased you got it sorted x

thanks x :-D

Original Poster

Mardyass;3192185

im battling with EON at the moment,I have prepaid gas and elec meters and … im battling with EON at the moment,I have prepaid gas and elec meters and have recently changed to scottish power,im getting ratty letters from EON saying i owe them £107,rung them and explained i couldnt possibly owe them this as its pay as you go but the dippy mare didnt get it or played dumb.Do i ignore them or try ringing again?!

I'd ring again, I was lucky this time to get a very nice and helpfull lady that seemed like she was doing everything she could to help. ring up again, you may get someone itelligent?!

Just keep changing - confuse them! £72 Quidco for changing to Scottish Power at the moment then I'm on to British Gas!

Banned

and how long have you had this "wrong" meter in

[email protected];3192207

Just keep changing - confuse them! £72 Quidco for changing to Scottish … Just keep changing - confuse them! £72 Quidco for changing to Scottish Power at the moment then I'm on to British Gas!

thats why i changed but not thru quidco ive given up with them!

starsparkle2311;3192211

Can't ignore them, they'll just send more letters, you're best ringing … Can't ignore them, they'll just send more letters, you're best ringing them, really tiresome and frustrating I know, but needs must!

oh must i?!:x

Mardyass;3192185

im battling with EON at the moment,I have prepaid gas and elec meters and … im battling with EON at the moment,I have prepaid gas and elec meters and have recently changed to scottish power,im getting ratty letters from EON saying i owe them £107,rung them and explained i couldnt possibly owe them this as its pay as you go but the dippy mare didnt get it or played dumb.Do i ignore them or try ringing again?!

ring them again and demand to speak to supervisor i tried to switch with scottish power before but the card they sent me didnt work after waiting around for a new one gave up and said to cancel the whole changeover, then when i tried to switch a couple of months later they sent me a bill for £80, after loads of calls and talking to people dumber then gordon brown i eventually got it sorted dont just leave it though cause they will keep sending you red letters and so on and so on x

ilovepink;3192246

ring them again and demand to speak to supervisor i tried to switch with … ring them again and demand to speak to supervisor i tried to switch with scottish power before but the card they sent me didnt work after waiting around for a new one gave up and said to cancel the whole changeover, then when i tried to switch a couple of months later they sent me a bill for £80, after loads of calls and talking to people dumber then gordon brown i eventually got it sorted dont just leave it though cause they will keep sending you red letters and so on and so on x

are they all thick then? lol guess i best try ringing them again

Mardyass;3192185

did you take actual meter readings when you swapped over or were they estimated?

Original Poster

sassie;3192215

and how long have you had this "wrong" meter in

well we bought the house in september last year, so we've been paying too much for electric since we moved in! :w00t:
she said the economy 7 meter is charged at 0.25.3 pence a unit and the d1 (new meter they are putting in) is 0.15.3 pence a unit! eek!

Banned

kirsty1981;3192271

well we bought the house in september last year, so we've been paying to … well we bought the house in september last year, so we've been paying to much for electric since we moved in! :w00t:she said the economy 7 meter is charged at 0.25.3 pence a unit and the d1 (new meter they are putting in) is 0.15.3 pence a unit! eek!

and why has it take you/them a year to work this out? :?

lyndsbowes;3192265

did you take actual meter readings when you swapped over or were they … did you take actual meter readings when you swapped over or were they estimated?

the swap went ahead when we were on holiday for a fortnight so they used estimated altho i have rung them and given them actual readings but they are now saying that they cant go by them as they werent taken within the specified time range and theyre going by the estimates,they can ram their bill theyre just not listening to me at all,shes just told me its my fault for not providing actual meter readings on the day of the change over but i wasnt even in this country so couldnt possibly of done it anyway,dumb lot!!

kirsty1981;3192271

well we bought the house in september last year, so we've been paying too … well we bought the house in september last year, so we've been paying too much for electric since we moved in! :w00t:she said the economy 7 meter is charged at 0.25.3 pence a unit and the d1 (new meter they are putting in) is 0.15.3 pence a unit! eek!

oooo you might have a nice refund coming your way then,you can pay my £107 EON bill if you like lol

Original Poster

sassie;3192291

and why has it take you/them a year to work this out? :?

because our house was built approx 10 years ago with just electricity supplied, but has since had gas connected and the gas "connectors" never informed the gas/ electricity suppliers?! so our electricity meter we have at the mo is cheaper for people who just have electric and have things like night storage heaters but as we have gas and not storage heaters then it is WAY more expensive for us

Banned

Mardyass;3192310

the swap went ahead when we were on holiday for a fortnight so they used … the swap went ahead when we were on holiday for a fortnight so they used estimated altho i have rung them and given them actual readings but they are now saying that they cant go by them as they werent taken within the specified time range and theyre going by the estimates,they can ram their bill theyre just not listening to me at all,shes just told me its my fault for not providing actual meter readings on the day of the change over but i wasnt even in this country so couldnt possibly of done it anyway,dumb lot!!

just make sure that both companies are using the same reading, you owe the money to one or the other of them if they are both using the same reading

Original Poster

sigma;3192302

Really pleased you got it sorted out after all the hassle

Banned

kirsty1981;3192327

because our house was built approx 10 years ago with just electricity … because our house was built approx 10 years ago with just electricity supplied, but has since had gas connected and the gas "connectors" never informed the gas/ electricity suppliers?! so our electricity meter we have at the mo is cheaper for people who just have electric and have things like night storage heaters but as we have gas and not storage heaters then it is WAY more expensive for us

yes i know what econonmy7 is for, im assuming you didnt - lol

i cant possibly have a bill at all,its between the 2 companies i recon if i dont charge the key or card i have no gas and electric so cant use it unless its paid for in advance

Banned

Mardyass;3192317

oooo you might have a nice refund coming your way then,you can pay my … oooo you might have a nice refund coming your way then,you can pay my £107 EON bill if you like lol

there will be no refund, its is the occupiers job to be on the right tariff, not the suppliers

Original Poster

Mardyass;3192317

oooo you might have a nice refund coming your way then,you can pay my … oooo you might have a nice refund coming your way then,you can pay my £107 EON bill if you like lol

lol :-D I did sort of drop a hint about getting a refund and she said it isn't down to the supplier to notice it is up to the home owner/ occupier to inform them?! boo hoo:x

Original Poster

sassie;3192335

yes i know what econonmy7 is for, im assuming you didnt - lol

nope! whoops! now I do, found out the expensive way!

Banned

Mardyass;3192336

i cant possibly have a bill at all,its between the 2 companies i recon if … i cant possibly have a bill at all,its between the 2 companies i recon if i dont charge the key or card i have no gas and electric so cant use it unless its paid for in advance

you can owe them money if they have different readings

Mardyass;3192310

the swap went ahead when we were on holiday for a fortnight so they used … the swap went ahead when we were on holiday for a fortnight so they used estimated altho i have rung them and given them actual readings but they are now saying that they cant go by them as they werent taken within the specified time range and theyre going by the estimates,they can ram their bill theyre just not listening to me at all,shes just told me its my fault for not providing actual meter readings on the day of the change over but i wasnt even in this country so couldnt possibly of done it anyway,dumb lot!!

take a metre reading today and one same time next week and phone your new supplier and tell them if they won't use the readings you gave them when you got back off hols to estimate your start readings from these 2 (the week apart ones) tell them you have a bill from your prev supplier that is incorrect and if they don't sort this out you will sort it out through energywatch and they'll soon shift their dumb butts

lyndsbowes;3192379

take a metre reading today and one same time next week and phone your new … take a metre reading today and one same time next week and phone your new supplier and tell them if they won't use the readings you gave them when you got back off hols to estimate your start readings from these 2 (the week apart ones) tell them you have a bill from your prev supplier that is incorrect and if they don't sort this out you will sort it out through energywatch and they'll soon shift their dumb butts

great idea let me go do that now:thumbsup:

Mardyass;3192395

great idea let me go do that now:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: hope it works

Good news then :thumbsup:

going to take kids to park before it starts raining.... let me know how you get on:thumbsup:

Banned

all you need is the companys with the same reading, you dont need to do reads now and next week, you just need them both to use the same read, it isnt like they pay for what you havent used, it doesnt come out of a barrell

have spoken to eon and theyve agreed to accept todays meter reading and then one this time next week and then average out my usage as it appears the estimated usage is far too high,that was a nice guy this time who seemed to understand me more!
Eon said they will then work with scottish power and i wont end up having to pay anything as its already been paid for upfront but the estimated readings are very out

Banned

Mardyass;3192527

have spoken to eon and theyve agreed to accept todays meter reading and … have spoken to eon and theyve agreed to accept todays meter reading and then one this time next week and then average out my usage as it appears the estimated usage is far too high,that was a nice guy this time who seemed to understand me more!Eon said they will then work with scottish power and i wont end up having to pay anything as its already been paid for upfront but the estimated readings are very out

im flipping lost, i thought you where on a key meter :?

I work for Npower on the pre-payments complaints team, When we come across accounts in debt on key, talexus key or smart power mtrs we generally have to get rid of the debt as you said mardyass "you wouldnt think you can get debt on a pre payment mtr." id totally agree with you. the trouble with these types of mtr is that they rely on picking up "global tariff updates" for when the prices rise. If any debt is occured due to this at Npower we clear the debt to leave your account at a nil balance, If your opening read is less than 250 units difference we would not bother to change the reading but instead clear the debt. if they are saying you owe them money and you are on a pre pay mtr id ignore them.
Energwatch have actually disbanded at the moment so are no longer there but there is a new team run by the goverment in which you can complain

Banned

the keys allow a certain amount per key, when used the valve shuts off so to speak, if old compnay has a meter read of 33445 and new meter compnay has a read of 36665 then you obviously owe the old company for units used, yes you have still been using keys and using gas the key money has been going to the new company although it should have been going to old, if you know what i mean

Mardyass;3192527

have spoken to eon and theyve agreed to accept todays meter reading and … have spoken to eon and theyve agreed to accept todays meter reading and then one this time next week and then average out my usage as it appears the estimated usage is far too high,that was a nice guy this time who seemed to understand me more!Eon said they will then work with scottish power and i wont end up having to pay anything as its already been paid for upfront but the estimated readings are very out

fantastic.... i did know what i was talking about coz i worked at npower for 2 years in the pre payment dept.... and also aln has worked for npower for 5 years so i am quite up on what needs to be done in these situations..... so glad i've been able to help you x :thumbsup:

lyndsbowes;3193089

fantastic.... i did know what i was talking about coz i worked at npower … fantastic.... i did know what i was talking about coz i worked at npower for 2 years in the pre payment dept.... and also aln has worked for npower for 5 years so i am quite up on what needs to be done in these situations..... so glad i've been able to help you x :thumbsup:

which location did you work at for Npower? ive been here for 4 years, would we know each other?

sassie;3192646

the keys allow a certain amount per key, when used the valve shuts off … the keys allow a certain amount per key, when used the valve shuts off so to speak, if old compnay has a meter read of 33445 and new meter compnay has a read of 36665 then you obviously owe the old company for units used, yes you have still been using keys and using gas the key money has been going to the new company although it should have been going to old, if you know what i mean

yup thats whats happened sass

Banned

mardy i dont know if you are aware but being on key meters is dearer than paying by dd, unless your on a social tariff as i belive these to be across the board no matter how you pay, although a cheaper tariff in some tiers they also have more units priced at the higher tiers

I don't understand this - we have gas and we are also on economy 7. We run the washing machine and the dishwasher at night, as well as the fridges and freezers that obviously run 24hours a day. Arewe on the wrong meter then? We are on the fixed price tariff from Scottish Power, by the way.

Original Poster

kensington143;3196623

I don't understand this - we have gas and we are also on economy 7. We … I don't understand this - we have gas and we are also on economy 7. We run the washing machine and the dishwasher at night, as well as the fridges and freezers that obviously run 24hours a day. Arewe on the wrong meter then? We are on the fixed price tariff from Scottish Power, by the way.

I reckon so, the lady told me that economy 7 meters only benefit people with no gas, people that run night storage heaters. they get a super cheap rate of electric at night but pay a higher than normal charge during the day! our central heating is run by gas so by switching our meter we will save ourselves 10pence per unit during the day which will in turn save us hundreds per quarter the lady said. I'd ring your provider, the lady told me that the suppliers don't check to make sure the customers have the best meters to save them money, it is up to the customer to notice!

Banned

kensington143;3196623

I don't understand this - we have gas and we are also on economy 7. We … I don't understand this - we have gas and we are also on economy 7. We run the washing machine and the dishwasher at night, as well as the fridges and freezers that obviously run 24hours a day. Arewe on the wrong meter then? We are on the fixed price tariff from Scottish Power, by the way.

as said eco7 really is only beficial to those who have electric night stroage, contact your supplier as soon as, using your wasjing machine at night and dishwasher is all well and good but your cost in the day will probably outweigh that good, check your tariff prices againt a non economy price to see
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lego Dimensions has officially been cancelled.33
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2546
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769321
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland1437

See more discussions