** Update - SSE Now raising electricity prices by 14.9%! ** E.On to raise gas and electricity prices in April - Electricity prices will rise by an average of 13.8%, and gas prices by 3.8%.

SuperEd 113
Found 7th Mar 2017
Update 13/03/17

SSE are now raising price by 14.9%! Which is said to affect 2.8 Million homes, which means their costs will go up by around £73 annually (Duel fuel customers) They say they will not increase gas prices at this point - The increase will be active from 28th April - Source

Now's the time you might want to use the HUKD Energy Price Checker and see if you can save a few £££

They all seem to follow suit, now it's E.On who are at it...

Around 2.5 million customers will be affected and prices will go up from 26th April with bills rising approx £100 a year.

E.On are blaming social and environmental schemes which support renewable energy but wholesale prices came down... basically we're getting screwed.

http://i.imgur.com/cLVVBwQ.png

source BBC
Community Updates
108 Comments
Not again.
Im stuck with sainsburys till october.
Biggest issue is, I need a supplier that does warm home discount. Most of the best priced firms are small and dont offer this.
go solar
I just left E.On last week after finding my tariff was going up 35% and that was the cheapest of their deals.
So which holiday destination are we overpaying the regulator to hide in whilst all this rip off is going on ?
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 7th Mar 2017
Nothing new, just like tv/broadband I expect yearly increases for no reason except corporation greed
Edited by: "kiish" 7th Mar 2017
noticed all of them never decreased the prices when a barrel of oil was cheaper than a pint of milk
Hmm well we had a letter recently saying ours isn't increasing. Npower. (not by choice, just kinda stuck with them for now).

Not sure how much I'd trust their word though after been with them for a few months, it was torture. Constantly getting things wrong and they have had to compensate us due to them messing up all the time.
liltman

Hmm well we had a letter recently saying ours isn't increasing. Npower. … Hmm well we had a letter recently saying ours isn't increasing. Npower. (not by choice, just kinda stuck with them for now). Not sure how much I'd trust their word though after been with them for a few months, it was torture. Constantly getting things wrong and they have had to compensate us due to them messing up all the time.

Yeh, same notification.
"You may have heard energy prices are on the rise. We want to reassure you that your prices won't be affected as long as you’re on a fixed energy tariff"
For me that's April 2018.
Don't blame them. The toothless regulators are the ones that are impotent/toothless & let it happen
I always thought our gas & electric prices were cheap compared to the majority of Europe. I wonder if some of these companies are raising their prices to cover the Smart rollout. I know that most of them don't want to do Smart but they have no choice
Edited by: "whydoineedastupidusername" 7th Mar 2017
watch out when switching lots of the switching companies are offering advertised collective offers including the hotukdeals advertised one, these are not always the cheapest but show at the top of the pages, make sure you scroll down or you will be paying more than needed.
Flipping hell thats a big percent i am with e.on but I'm out of here not having that
whydoineedastupidusername

I always thought our gas & electric prices were cheap compared to the … I always thought our gas & electric prices were cheap compared to the majority of Europe. I wonder if some of these companies are raising their prices to cover the Smart rollout. I know that most of them don't want to do Smart but they have no choice

​The smart roll out that the energy companies aren't paying a single penny towards ?
But this is only if you're on a standard tariff. If you go for the fixed price one with most of these companies (EON comes up as being cheaper for me on the price comparison) the rates are fixed and thus if you move now you'll avoid the price hike. At least, that's what I'm hoping is the case..!
Seriously! Seems like if you've got the cash you start up an energy or broadband supply company, sit back and watch the cash roll in - flippin easy money for the rich.
deleted57959

Just locked in for 3 years with SSE in October.

I did this just before Chrimbo as I could "foresee" the prices going up, with my magic 8 ball.

SSE sent me a letter today saying do I want a free smart meter, me thinks the two are linked. (_;)
Gollywood

Don't blame them. The toothless regulators are the ones that are … Don't blame them. The toothless regulators are the ones that are impotent/toothless & let it happen

Ofcom comes to mind. does it do anything for the public.
deleted57959

Strange I also got the letter today.

You can just imagine it being discussed at one of the meetings.
"We are putting the prices. I know lets offer the muppets' a free smart meter on the same day to soften the blow". oO
tryn2help

Seriously! Seems like if you've got the cash you start up an energy or … Seriously! Seems like if you've got the cash you start up an energy or broadband supply company, sit back and watch the cash roll in - flippin easy money for the rich.

Everyone wants bells and whistles unlimited broadband for nothing. In fact broadband prices have dropped in real terms year on year. Back in 2002 you could expect to pay £40 a month for something you would barely call broadband today (256K/512K ADSL) with line rental on top. Now you can get a line and 80/20 Hybrid fibre for that. Trust me, the margins on broadband are tiny (Sysadmin for an ISP). If I was rich from that I probably wouldn't be on HUKD!
shabbird

Ofcom comes to mind. does it do anything for the public.

​Ofcom were asked to comment on the smart meter roll out & if any of the £6 billion savings would be passed onto the customers... Ofcom said they had no powers to do so
Gollywood

​Ofcom were asked to comment on the smart meter roll out & if any of the £ … ​Ofcom were asked to comment on the smart meter roll out & if any of the £6 billion savings would be passed onto the customers... Ofcom said they had no powers to do so

​you mean ofgem?
Strzelecki

Everyone wants bells and whistles unlimited broadband for nothing. In … Everyone wants bells and whistles unlimited broadband for nothing. In fact broadband prices have dropped in real terms year on year. Back in 2002 you could expect to pay £40 a month for something you would barely call broadband today (256K/512K ADSL) with line rental on top. Now you can get a line and 80/20 Hybrid fibre for that. Trust me, the margins on broadband are tiny (Sysadmin for an ISP). If I was rich from that I probably wouldn't be on HUKD!

I don't need bells and whistles - and I don't buy the argument that I'm getting more for less - I just go by reality.

Back in the day with Telewest I got 2gb for £12 a month and could do everything I needed to do; my habits haven't changed, and today with Virginmedia I'm getting ever increasing gb (free) along with ever increasing price rises and it CAN'T do everything I need it to do because it keeps dropping signal/cutting out/workmen in area/power surge etc etc etc.
As over half of our gas comes from abroad - it is not that surprising that prices are increasing - simply because of the weak GBP following the Brexit referendum. We probably need to be prepared for more to come
tryn2help

I don't need bells and whistles - and I don't buy the argument that I'm … I don't need bells and whistles - and I don't buy the argument that I'm getting more for less - I just go by reality.Back in the day with Telewest I got 2gb for £12 a month and could do everything I needed to do; my habits haven't changed, and today with Virginmedia I'm getting ever increasing gb (free) along with ever increasing price rises and it CAN'T do everything I need it to do because it keeps dropping signal/cutting out/workmen in area/power surge etc etc etc.

Plusnet offer broadband for £18 a month or sky for £18.99. If you factor in inflation the difference is probably in your favour...
2GB? I bet most people would struggle to have their monthly Facebook fix with that data allowance! Mind you, people used to make do with candles for lighting their homes too
**** disgraceful
tryn2help

I don't need bells and whistles - and I don't buy the argument that I'm … I don't need bells and whistles - and I don't buy the argument that I'm getting more for less - I just go by reality.Back in the day with Telewest I got 2gb for £12 a month and could do everything I needed to do; my habits haven't changed, and today with Virginmedia I'm getting ever increasing gb (free) along with ever increasing price rises and it CAN'T do everything I need it to do because it keeps dropping signal/cutting out/workmen in area/power surge etc etc etc.

Yep I agree I used to play the original Xbox online with pc's running everywhere round the house and had my own internet radio station running 24 hours a day all on adsl. Now I got fibre that can't run Xbox one laptop and now TV or kodi at the same time with out dropping out.
Glad I locked in for 12 month's before Christmas.
Eon can lick my you know what if they think i'm stomaching a double digit % rise, ill be jumping ship.
Hey, HUKD... to allow a fair comparison, can you confirm your commission (or fee processed by the supplier) please...

For information, uswitch take £50 per fuel.
The Tory open market 'that brings costs down' - gouging consumers since the 80's & you all voted for them...#brexit is going to make them jump higher than SSE^

Guys try getting a quote from First Utility, it worked out quite cheap compared to the other companies
Banned
The_Doctor07

Guys try getting a quote from First Utility, it worked out quite cheap … Guys try getting a quote from First Utility, it worked out quite cheap compared to the other companies

Plus up to £90 cashback on Quidco

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shame on them all
Sat on their **** share holders will be happy... conglomeration on a sure thing, disguised as competition and risk.
The_Doctor07

Guys try getting a quote from First Utility, it worked out quite cheap … Guys try getting a quote from First Utility, it worked out quite cheap compared to the other companies

Prices are region specific, it won't be the same for everyone. NPower and Sainsbury's Energy was cheapest on uswitch for me, I switched to Sainsbury's Energy, 12.390p on leccy \o/

First Utility's cheapest fixed tariff was 14.49p o.O
Edited by: "aarste" 13th Mar 2017
I thought prices might increase, so at the end of last year the cheapest long term fix deal on the market was with a company called isupply, which was on a 33 month fix. Had a bit of hassle with the switch, but could be worth it, seeing the way prices are going. Back in December it was one of the cheapest deals on the market.
These guys should be limited in their price rises to the official inflation rate. These monstrous rises are also hitting the public by forcing up the rate of inflation.

Renationalise them for a penny a share.
Strzelecki

2GB? I bet most people would struggle to have their monthly Facebook fix … 2GB? I bet most people would struggle to have their monthly Facebook fix with that data allowance! Mind you, people used to make do with candles for lighting their homes too

2MBPS I assume.

Candles, to light your way after brexit - what a great idea!. Mind you with the further cuts the Fire Service may well be like RNLA
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions