Expired

*UPDATED* I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend, but I need some advice about ring size, reputable places etc

Found 22nd May 2014
So I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend. We've been together 7 years and we have a little boy together.....but i'm a bit stumped about getting a ring.

She never wears any other rings so trying to find a size is near impossible. She's a really light sleeper and I want to keep it a secret so asking for favours with trying to get sizes from a friend or her mum is not going to happen?

I'm looking at spending up to £500 on a ring....I would love to spend more but I don't have that sort of money, its taken long enough to have this sort of cash. Where would people recommend to buy from? I see there's plenty of jewellers around like F hinds, Warren James, H Samuels etc. I want to get her a white gold ring with a nice diamond but with a few set each side with a larger one in the middle.... sort of like this one on the link here:

amazon.co.uk/Eng…ing

any help is greatly appreciated!!
Community Updates
33 Comments
my hubby bought my ring from the jewellers on the condition he could bring it back to be re-sized if unworn.
Original Poster
kerry3000uk

my hubby bought my ring from the jewellers on the condition he could … my hubby bought my ring from the jewellers on the condition he could bring it back to be re-sized if unworn.

Thats the main reason I will be buying from a jeweller themselves as opposed to looking online. Any ideas what Jewellers are good stockists but not too expensive?
Warren James were good price wise and oddly Woolworths were selling some really nice ones on their website
Original Poster
xclare

Warren James were good price wise and oddly Woolworths were selling some … Warren James were good price wise and oddly Woolworths were selling some really nice ones on their website

Are Warren James that good? I did see some nice rings in there today as I wandered past but always associated them as cheap stuff thats not that good
Original Poster
This is one I saw that looked nice in the window:
warrenjames.co.uk/jew…061
Warren James.. depends what you buy.. you buy silver you get silver buy gold veg gold.. I personally got platinum harder wearing. good prices in Warren James.
If it's gold and a gemstone it shouldn't matter where you buy it from , my husband got me a diamond solitaire ring from h Samuels and we've been married 22 yrs , I was thrilled with it and still am .
Get the best you can because you want to not because of pressure or snobbery from others.
good luck! she'll love it whatever :-)
Original Poster
sophieb21

Warren James.. depends what you buy.. you buy silver you get silver buy … Warren James.. depends what you buy.. you buy silver you get silver buy gold veg gold.. I personally got platinum harder wearing. good prices in Warren James.

I was hoping to get her white gold, she doesn't particularly like yellow gold anyway as it looks odd on her with her skin tone. Platinum would be nice but I don't think my budget would go that far
Original Poster
FMJ1000

good luck! she'll love it whatever :-)

thanks!! Nervous as hell. We go on a little family holiday in june with her parents and our son to St Ives in cornwall....was thinking of popping the question on a nice walk out somewhere when the sun is about to set (so cliche I know, providing its not tipping it down!!)
stephen2k5

thanks!! Nervous as hell. We go on a little family holiday in june … thanks!! Nervous as hell. We go on a little family holiday in june with her parents and our son to St Ives in cornwall....was thinking of popping the question on a nice walk out somewhere when the sun is about to set (so cliche I know, providing its not tipping it down!!)

hope it works out for you mate. keep us posted.
I went to bicester village to buy the diamond pendant from hearts on fire then had it made in Robert gatwards jewellers. After revaluing for insurance came in at 2.5k more than paid so quite happy.

Have a look for any bank holiday deals, or build your own. PS good luck!
redcastle

I went to bicester village to buy the diamond pendant from hearts on fire … I went to bicester village to buy the diamond pendant from hearts on fire then had it made in Robert gatwards jewellers. After revaluing for insurance came in at 2.5k more than paid so quite happy. Have a look for any bank holiday deals, or build your own. PS good luck!

There is a huge difference between valuing for insurance and valuing to sell to a shop.
Where are you from? I got my ring for my now fiancé at a small jeweler in Chester. H Samuel is rubbish as the cut of the stones are rubbish. They aren't very good clarity. In a small independent jeweler you can haggle on the price too. Just include resizing in the deal. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I got mine from an independent jeweller's, as I found that the ring quality was a bit better (and they offered free sizing, yearly clean ups etc). She'd never worn rings before - so I ordered a couple of free things online inc a ring sizer; every time one of them arrived I would show surprise, moan about spam, and chuck them. When the sizer arrived, I made a big show of wondering what my ring size was - so much so that she wanted to find hers out

She had never worn gold before, but I ended up going for yellow gold as I thought it made the diamond stand out more - but that's largely personal preference.

Good luck!!
im sure if you get married you will find out her ring size!
go to a proper jewlers, a lot now do second hand and you tend to get more for your money...

obviously they refurb them so half the time you cant tell.
Banned
Please accept my commiserations.
Where abouts are you located? I would agree with getting white gold or palladium, which is about half the price of platinum and 2/3 the weight so works out about 1/3 the price and it's from the same family (hypoallergenic too).

In your budget get a nice rock but not a diamond unless it's a cluster of smaller diamonds. Some of the bigger stores will often have half price sales so do check them out in addition to the smaller independent stores.

What not to do: Do not buy your stone separately and try get a jeweller to mount it to a ring. They seldom want to do it and it often won't save you any money.
H Samuels has a sale on.
Original Poster
many thanks for the advice guys. I have seen one I think she would like however its clarity is I1 or I2 which I know is quite low, but would it still be quite sparkly? I just want something nice for her, its all a massive load of info to take in
as the owner of a white gold ring, take the time to think about this! iv had mine 10 years now and as I wear it all the time ut tarnishes very quickly so I had to pay £30-£40 a time to get it cleaned up so it looked new and shiny again!
over the years i think iv paid about £400 in total getting it cleand an re-dipped so think about the added expense to keep it looking good!
I wish I'd chosen yellow goldnow!
Propose to her outside the jewelers you intend to buy the ring with a Hoola Hoop. If she says yes then go inside and get the ring you but mainly she likes in your budget. If she tinks its all very daft just eat the rest of them and carry on shopping!
julieg1973

as the owner of a white gold ring, take the time to think about this! iv … as the owner of a white gold ring, take the time to think about this! iv had mine 10 years now and as I wear it all the time ut tarnishes very quickly so I had to pay £30-£40 a time to get it cleaned up so it looked new and shiny again!over the years i think iv paid about £400 in total getting it cleand an re-dipped so think about the added expense to keep it looking good!I wish I'd chosen yellow goldnow!

My 3 rings are all 18ct white gold and have had them for around 7 years(apart from one). I have only had to have 2 of them done once which was around £60 each I think. They all still look beautiful and sparkly,I love white gold

That's a lot of shining/dipping you have had done with yours!
Original Poster
To all of those who contributed to my thread......

She said yes!!!!!!!
stephen2k5

To all of those who contributed to my thread......She said yes!!!!!!!

I didn't reply to your thread, but Congratulations!!!
stephen2k5

Commiserations

Whoops, Congratulations
Aaahh nice x all the best x
stephen2k5

Didn't see this thread before either but, congratulations :).
How did u propose and what ring did you get?
Edited by: "UnicornRiver" 24th Jun 2014
Original Poster
UnicornRiver

How did u propose and what ring did you get?

I proposed whilst we were on holiday in st ives. Went up on the sand dunes and whilst she was admiring the view, i got down on one knee and when she turned around she was genuinely shocked.....she nearly cried haha....with joy of course.

and the ring...

http://i.imgur.com/3fWplYw.jpg
Sorry I didn't contribute to your thread but -

Congratulations!
The ring is beautiful, she is a lucky lady!
Wedding ring next!
Congratulations!!! May you both have a very long and happy marriage xxxx
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions