Updated my phone number on eBay account, same day receive an automated call about an accident which wasn't my fault. Coincidence ?

Found 30th Jul
eBay tell me they don't sell phone numbers.
Just seemed a big coincidence that I recieve a telemarketing call on the same day
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I was always getting those calls, they all ways seemed to be from the same or slightly different number, started with 0161 or something like that. Since I've blocked them I haven't had any spam calls. Can't see it being anything to do with flea bay, id say it's just a coincidence
thewrecker74772 m ago

I was always getting those calls, they all ways seemed to be from the same …I was always getting those calls, they all ways seemed to be from the same or slightly different number, started with 0161 or something like that. Since I've blocked them I haven't had any spam calls. Can't see it being anything to do with flea bay, id say it's just a coincidence

This was an 0200 number. It said London
jco834 m ago

This was an 0200 number. It said London

Block the number. Have you tried google to see if there's been other people reporting as spam?
thewrecker74773 m ago

Block the number. Have you tried google to see if there's been other …Block the number. Have you tried google to see if there's been other people reporting as spam?

It was spam, no need to check It was the fact that it happened the same day I gave it to eBay. Could well be a coincidence I know. Oh well nothing you can do once your number's out there aye. Cheers for your input
jco832 m ago

It was spam, no need to check It was the fact that it happened the same …It was spam, no need to check It was the fact that it happened the same day I gave it to eBay. Could well be a coincidence I know. Oh well nothing you can do once your number's out there aye. Cheers for your input

No problem
Who else have you given the number to?

The number of people that let linkedin/facebook/etc have access to their address books is frightening
the likelihood of ebay selling it to these shysters is exceptionally low. i would happily state that they would not sell your phone number to the spammers that call you about car accidents.
it's also very unlikely that if anyone was to sell numbers, that the database on the buyer's end would be updated and called on the same day.
it's quite likely that they just call numbers at random.
just be glad you have only had one call to deal with! I've had multiple although it has seemed to die down.
if they do ever call back, just have some fun with them. In recent times, I've been incarcerated and deceased as a result of my accident. unfortunately they never offer to free or revive you but they do clear the line very quickly and provide a little bit of amusement for your trouble!
My phone number is on my ebay account - but my wife's isn't - yet we both get these calls. So I doubt it is ebay selling the number.

Despite blocking the number we then get the same message from another number - often 0200 but also from mobile 07xx numbers.
I always like to respond to the ones asking about an accident that wasn’t my fault. I tell them that this is great because last night I drank 10 pints and shat myself and that this has to count as an accident doesn’t it?
sounds like you did it on purpose
mas9945 m ago

Who else have you given the number to?The number of people that let …Who else have you given the number to?The number of people that let linkedin/facebook/etc have access to their address books is frightening

Only 1 place like last year I think it was, it was Table Pouncer I literally got a spam call the next day got a few more after that, but then as someone else said above - they died down, and I haven't received one for quite a long time now (until today). So that's why it seemed a right coincidence !
Yeh I have also heard that these places call random numbers and get hits that way
Edited by: "jco83" 31st Jul
Cakeboy7913 h, 36 m ago

I always like to respond to the ones asking about an accident that wasn’t m …I always like to respond to the ones asking about an accident that wasn’t my fault. I tell them that this is great because last night I drank 10 pints and shat myself and that this has to count as an accident doesn’t it?

I always say "Yes, I did have an accident and now my neck hurts" - and then hang up
Just do the following:

When they asked if you had an accident you say yes and state the following:

"It was my fault, I was drunk and I did run over that nun!

Can you help me? The police is on my case!"

They will say that they would pass to their supervisor, hung up and never call you again!
jco8316 h, 34 m ago

Yeh I have also heard that these places call random numbers and get hits …Yeh I have also heard that these places call random numbers and get hits that way

most probably that, no way ebay will have passed your number on that quick even if they did and with the new regulations even if they had I doubt they would do it now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants