Upgrade after only 3 months into O2 contract - In store only

Found 7th Jul 2011
First post so please be gentle.

Found out this morning that O2 have changed the terms & conditions so you can get an upgrade to your existing contract after only 3 months.

It was confirmed by O2 on their live chat and was effective fron 5th July 2011

I believe it isonly available instore and you may need to surrender your old phone.

My wife has gone to upgrade to a Blackberry so I will let you know how she gets on but I gave her a copy of the live webchat to take with her just in case they havent been told in the store.

Update - Wife just spent aroud 45 mins in store. The staff know about it and have received training but the computer system hasn't been updated to cope with this yet. The store will be contacting us in the next few days to sort out the upgrade.

Fingers crossed
Community Updates
22 Comments
Awesome if true, will be interesting to see if other networks follow
What is the point of a 12 month contract then?
gluke21

What is the point of a 12 month contract then?

You get one contract,and most likely its goes onto another 12 month contract once you change your phone ?
goonertillidie

You get one contract,and most likely its goes onto another 12 month … You get one contract,and most likely its goes onto another 12 month contract once you change your phone ?

Similar to what Vodafone does, isn't it?
goonertillidie

You get one contract,and most likely its goes onto another 12 month … You get one contract,and most likely its goes onto another 12 month contract once you change your phone ?

any details on this anywhere?
upgrade after 3 months? unheard of!
n1ttygr1tty

any details on this anywhere?

Not sure but as op printed it out the 'webchat' maybe he can scan & upload it ?
WRXiceman

Similar to what Vodafone does, isn't it?

vodafone only do this on 18/24 months, you can upgrade 6 months early but read the terms n conditions first
goonertillidie

Not sure but as op printed it out the 'webchat' maybe he can scan & … Not sure but as op printed it out the 'webchat' maybe he can scan & upload it ?

hmm rather have it in black n white on the website rather than take webchats word for it, nice deal if its turns out to be true on the website tho
You mean 3 months before the end of the term?
hi i have been instore this hasn't actually launched yet and you have to pay the remainder of the contract to get out and be able to upgrade which is really pants
most seem to be missing the point! it's not a regular or new contract guys, will only apply to those with a current contract.

they have probably changed their terms and conditions to an extent that is a detriment to the customer and as a result the customer is entitled to cancel the contract. the best bit is, as the phone is not part of the contract, you keep it

similar to orange a couple of years ago. i think they changed the way you were charged for certain calls = increase in cost for the customer = less favourable terms = customer entitled to cancel the contract. i cancelled my 2 month old contract and kept the hdc that came with it
i can't find anything about the o2 situation, but if it's the same as orange, here is the orange situation from 2009.
bitterwallet.com/ora…act
(ignore the two updates at the top)
Moved to misc until its confirmed as correct.
no chance that this is true
Only time I knew of an upgrade being done before the end of a contract was when it was a 'stolen handset' upgrade but you needed a crime reference number to do it and then you were locked in to another new 12 contract. Mind you that was a few years ago so don't know if that still exists especially after the capers with the 'lost' iphones needing replaced with newer versions etc.
o2 online are suppost to have reward tears as well

Blue - Just because you're on O2
Silver - Last 12 months spend - £420 - £719.99
Gold - Last 12 months spend - £720 - £1,499.99
Platinum - Last 12 months spend over £1,500
Just to chime in, OP would love some details on this!
I had a conversation on the live chat as well, they confirmed that they have introduced upgrade anytime where you can upgrade to a new phone, he said it was on the website, but when i tried it wasn't he was going to get it checked out. When asked how it worked his response was
" through this upgrade anytime option you can upgrade to a new phone wihtout waiting till the end of your contract and you'll also get 20% off the phone cost. In the meantime you can visit our store to get and check the phone for you or just ry this link after a few hours"
I wonder whether you are just buying a phone at the PAYG cost with 20%. Will try link later let you know whether it is successful
Edited by: "balloonrace" 8th Jul 2011
jazferbetay

o2 online are suppost to have reward tears as well

It certainly does upset them when they have to give something back.
This sounds like a payg only deal.... certainly haven't heard anything like tis for paym
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions