Upgrade budget motherboard for my AMD 1100t black edition CPU?

Found 12th MayEdited by:"rollercoaster63"
Hello,

I currently have a rubbish motherboard that is poor at OC for my 1100t CPU. I was thinking of buying the GIGABYTE 990FX-GAMING mobo and some extra ram and later buying a FX CPU. The computer is fine at the moment but i want to get most out of the CPU. I currently have 8 GB ram and Nvidia 970 graphics card.
Community Updates
3 Comments
I wouldn't bother, I've seen cheap ryzen 5 1600 bundles for about £200. I know memory is expensive but the performance difference is worth it. Also wouldn't recommend overclocking a fx cpu unless you have a 650watt psu and an AIO cooler.
The low end gigabyte 990fx range is a little ropey on v-droop and hot vrms on the 1st 4 or so revisions as well so a sabretooth would be better.

These boards are just expensive though so go the ryzen 5 1600 route.
kester7642 m ago

I wouldn't bother, I've seen cheap ryzen 5 1600 bundles for about £200. I …I wouldn't bother, I've seen cheap ryzen 5 1600 bundles for about £200. I know memory is expensive but the performance difference is worth it. Also wouldn't recommend overclocking a fx cpu unless you have a 650watt psu and an AIO cooler. The low end gigabyte 990fx range is a little ropey on v-droop and hot vrms on the 1st 4 or so revisions as well so a sabretooth would be better.These boards are just expensive though so go the ryzen 5 1600 route.

Is it a lot of an upgrade and how much ram do you recommend? Any recommendtions of a decent bundle cheers
rollercoaster631 h, 23 m ago

Is it a lot of an upgrade and how much ram do you recommend? Any …Is it a lot of an upgrade and how much ram do you recommend? Any recommendtions of a decent bundle cheers

Depends, CPU to CPU not a massive jump but the 1600 single core is better and you get access to faster memory and better sata controllers etc. Main point is that it runs a lot cooler, the FX8350 is a hot chip with poor single core performance.

Motherboards have improved alot single the AM3+ platform. The Ryzen 5 2600 would be better but that's £100 more.

I chose the FX8350 as an upgrade to my 1090t back in 2012/13 and was disappointed in the performance and have had issues with USB 3.0 front panel support on my 990FXA-UD3. In 2018 I wouldn't buy one unless you're getting the whole lot very cheap.

I asked in the forum about my FX8350 system and got a price of around £150 with 16GB of DDR3. I thought about £120 was a good price but I guess memory is still expensive so will up the price a bit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants