UPGRADE from Hard Drive to SSD HELP

Posted 5th Oct
Hello

This is the laptop I have

rover.ebay.com/rov…124

It’s really slow I would like to change from the 1tb hard drive to SSD to make it faster

Q1.Can it be done and if yes how hard is it

Q2.is this a good SSD for this purpose

Lexar NS100 2.5” SATA III (6Gb/s) 240GB Solid-State Drive amazon.co.uk/dp/…TNP

Sorry if this seems stupid I don’t know much about computers

Thanks for reading.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Can’t comment on ssd or laptop but I did it recently for my old hp laptop and it was easy to do.

Mu tech knowledge is moderate and it was first time I open the laptop and added/updated hardware.

Try looking and YouTube videos for your laptop model and watch them couple of times it will help.

Btw buy casing for portable hdd also, you can use that for hard drive you take out from laptop
Edited by: "dheeraj2606" 5th Oct
dheeraj260605/10/2019 22:08

Can’t comment on ssd or laptop but I did it recently for my old hp laptop a …Can’t comment on ssd or laptop but I did it recently for my old hp laptop and it was easy to do.Mu tech knowledge is moderate and it was first time I open the laptop and added/updated hardware.Try looking and YouTube videos for your laptop model and watch them couple of times it will help.Btw buy casing for portable hdd also, you can use that for hard drive you take out from laptop

Thanks for the tip

But do you think the SSD I mentioned is good or not.
kingman9905/10/2019 22:10

Thanks for the tip But do you think the SSD I mentioned is good or not.

Sorry @kingman99 no idea about SSDs reviews and performance, I normally rely on heat on SSD deals and member comments.
GNKelly0705/10/2019 22:32

Comment deleted

Thanks now it works
After I change it do I have to use a USB for something I just keep seeing them doing it in the YouTube videos
Edited by: "kingman99" 5th Oct
GNKelly0705/10/2019 22:48

Comment deleted

Cloning (with optional partition resizing) is arguably the better option here on the assumption the current drive has HP utilities incorporated on hidden partition(s) that the user may wish to retain. Can always effect a clean operating system install after clone/resizie. Macrium Reflect Free is one of the obvious freebie cloning & re-sizing tools, or same tool can offer alternative of (compressed) imaging saving the image of the existing drive to external storage prior to reinstating the image on the SSD.
I don’t needs the information from the laptop I want to make it like new so I can use it for uni so I don’t think I should clone it

AndyRoyd05/10/2019 23:04

Cloning (with optional partition resizing) is arguably the better option …Cloning (with optional partition resizing) is arguably the better option here on the assumption the current drive has HP utilities incorporated on hidden partition(s) that the user may wish to retain. Can always effect a clean operating system install after clone/resizie. Macrium Reflect Free is one of the obvious freebie cloning & re-sizing tools, or same tool can offer alternative of (compressed) imaging saving the image of the existing drive to external storage prior to reinstating the image on the SSD.

kingman9905/10/2019 23:06

I don’t needs the information from the laptop I want to make it like new s …I don’t needs the information from the laptop I want to make it like new so I can use it for uni so I don’t think I should clone it

Just to repeat / clarify: I was referring to an option to not lose the HP system utilities that are stored on hidden partition(s) on the existing disk. There are unrelated to your OS and data and will not be otherwise available unless cloned / imaged. Your choice to not have access to those HP utilities.
AndyRoyd05/10/2019 23:16

Just to repeat / clarify: I was referring to an option to not lose the HP …Just to repeat / clarify: I was referring to an option to not lose the HP system utilities that are stored on hidden partition(s) on the existing disk. There are unrelated to your OS and data and will not be otherwise available unless cloned / imaged. Your choice to not have access to those HP utilities.

I am sorry but I don’t know much can you tell me what the hp utilities are
kingman9905/10/2019 23:21

I am not familiar with your specific HP model. Look in its manual to see how to access the utilities; they are usually accessed by pressing a specific F key on cold boot. The utilities typically provide tools to test RAM, disk, graphics etc for either casual interest or when the machine indicates signs of issues and / or fails to boot to the operating system.
kingman9905/10/2019 23:21

Do not clone. Any HP utilities can be downloaded from their website for free, but I'm pretty sure you'll not need them. It makes no sense to install garbage just for the sake of having it there.
Eventually you can create a 1024 MB primary FAT32 partition on which you can install HP tools (no need for more; Windows should take care of the rest).
On the next primary partiton you should install Windows.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 6th Oct
AndyRoyd05/10/2019 23:37

I am not familiar with your specific HP model. Look in its manual to see …I am not familiar with your specific HP model. Look in its manual to see how to access the utilities; they are usually accessed by pressing a specific F key on cold boot. The utilities typically provide tools to test RAM, disk, graphics etc for either casual interest or when the machine indicates signs of issues and / or fails to boot to the operating system.

Thanks
TobyZ06/10/2019 01:09

Do not clone. Any HP utilities can be downloaded from their website for …Do not clone. Any HP utilities can be downloaded from their website for free, but I'm pretty sure you'll not need them. It makes no sense to install garbage just for the sake of having it there.

Thanks
Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do after I do the replacement. (basically what I need to download into USB drive)
kingman9906/10/2019 01:12

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do after I do the replacement. …Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do after I do the replacement. (basically what I need to download into USB drive)

Go on the Microsoft website and download which ever windows you have, it'll tell you how to set up your USB stick to install it. You might need to enter your Windows key but if it's a modern laptop it'll be built into the bios
kingman9906/10/2019 01:12

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do after I do the replacement. …Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do after I do the replacement. (basically what I need to download into USB drive)

First, open system and find the type of your windows (32 or 64, , home or pro) isunshare.com/win…tml
then go on Microsoft, and run this app on your machine.
microsoft.com/en-…ISO
selecting either 32bit or 64 bit depending on your license, choosing create ISO.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants