Groups

Upgrade from Sky to Sky+ advice needed.

My parents have been with Sky for 6 years or more, but now want to upgrade to Sky+, I would of expected that Sky would of rewarded their loyalty by upgraded them for next to nothing, but apparently they still want a fair chunk of money to do this, does anyone know the best / cheapest way to get this upgrade - Ive seen the recommend a friend vouchers, but this only applies to new customers !

14 Comments

The only way that i know of that has actually worked for friends of mine is to phone sky and say you want to cancel. Ask to be put through to retentions and see if you can blag a free sky+ box that way. My mate did it before xmas and now has free sky+

threatening to cancel does the trick sometimes - say that ur going over to another supplier like virgin who are offering you the v+ box for free...

I had the same issues back in Dec, I phoned up and was quoted £149 + £25 install after threatening to cancel and getting passed through to their retentions dept I got it for £49 installed and 3 months free movies. Dig your heels in and they will cave.

We received a leaflet before Christmas that offered us an upgrade to sky+ inc install etc for £49. When we rang they kept trying to get out of it but I offered to email them a copy of the leaflet and they gave in. Because I complained they also threw in free install of my old sky box into another room.

I would definately call them and see what they offer.

When you phone up say that you are "thinking" about cancelling. Don't go straight in telling them that you want to cancel or they will put you straight through to the cancellations dept.

Phone up and say that you have been loyal customers for 6 years and you are fed up seeing the deals that new customers are getting. Also state that you feel that the monthly subscriptions are getting more expensive and you do not seem to be getting any additional benefits out of it.

I called them and said all of the above and they advised me that as I have been a loyal customer for a few years then they can give me a free upgrade to Sky +. This was in May of last year though but I'm not sure if they still do this tbh.

You should give them a ring, you never know until you try. :thumbsup:

Literally had mine installed about 1 hour ago, sky + and multiroom...we paid £30 all in with recommend a friend. Code is ISA08

They refused to upgrade me when I threatened to cancel, so I cancelled & then my wife applied for Sky+ via Quidco, which covered the cost of the box & installation.

Original Poster

kidcat;1781464

We received a leaflet before Christmas that offered us an upgrade to sky+ … We received a leaflet before Christmas that offered us an upgrade to sky+ inc install etc for £49. When we rang they kept trying to get out of it but I offered to email them a copy of the leaflet and they gave in. Because I complained they also threw in free install of my old sky box into another room. I would definately call them and see what they offer.

Dont suppose you still have that leaflet that you could email me ? :whistling:

Best thing to do is call to cancel, get put through to cancellations and let them persuade you to stay. They have the ability to offer the best deals.

The best time to do this is may/june as this is just before the end of their financial year and they are desperate to keep their customers.

I tried with retentions, they wouldnt budge on £210!!!! we have been TV customers and broadband customers for 6 years, its only £160 to order online, but they wanted £150 for box and 60 install. Threatened to cancel, went though 30 days notice and still no offer, had to swallow the pride (well made my hubby!) and stop the cancellation. I spose its luck of who you get to talk to......I'm gonna hang out and see what this freesat is gonna be like.

I just bought my own Sky+ box and installed it myself.

Box £150 from Satbuyer.co.uk (new Pace pvr3 with 12 month warranty).
    Install kit with second cable and all fixings ect. £12 ]satelliteonline.co.uk
    Quad LNB ]£15 if you need one.

I couldn't justify the crazy prices Sky expected, so if a little DIY doesn't faze you it's an option.

Ungreat;1783226

I just bought my own Sky+ box and installed it myself.Box £150 from … I just bought my own Sky+ box and installed it myself.Box £150 from Satbuyer.co.uk (new Pace pvr3 with 12 month warranty).Install kit with second cable and all fixings ect. £12 ]satelliteonline.co.ukQuad LNB ]£15 if you need one.I couldn't justify the crazy prices Sky expected, so if a little DIY doesn't faze you it's an option.

Isn't that more expensive than getting it through sky?

souljacker;1783360

Isn't that more expensive than getting it through sky?

The prices Sky quote seem to vary greatly and they insist on having an engineer fit it. I wanted a new box free and clear with me knowing the make upfront as the Pace boxes are the best.

You can also upgrade to an HD box the same way as it requires two inputs like a Sky+ box and once the card is 'twinned' you get BBC-HD, Ch4-HD and Luxe-HD without needing a Sky HD subscription.

rang sky and said my husband going on nights, so i wanted to cancel my sky, they offered me sky+ for £49.00 all in, being installed in 3 days.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846169
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is11
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio710

See more discussions