Upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10

Found 8th Oct 2017
I am looking to upgrade my husband's laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 but I am a bit nervous that I may bugger his laptop up with the upgrade.

My laptop got upgraded automatically from windows 8.1 to windows 10 without any issue so I am hoping that this will also be the case with the switch from windows 7 to windows 10.

He wants to keep windows 7 but I don't think that is a good idea as windows 7 will become unsupported in a few years, and my worry is that it will already start to be forgotten by microsoft now even before then, so the laptop will just start to become slower and slower over time.

If you have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, have you had any issues with the upgrade?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments

Before you do any form of upgrades Back Up first..

After youve backed up, just install 10 over 7, it should be fine, your get 30 days to revert back, win10 is ok.

Its his laptop, let him win for once and keep windows 7 on it (as he wants to do)

Issues will be caused by a huge variety of things, most of them third party like drivers, so it's not really something you can predict with any certainty. The chances are very low though, hundreds of millions of people have done it.

As zirk says just make sure your backups are up to date so you don't lose anything except time if something does go wrong.

Microsoft did extend security patches a year so you've now got until January 2020 instead of 2019. If his laptop is likely to be replaced before then you might be able to skip it.

Mainstream support ran out in 2015 which means Microsoft aren't going to be making any major changes to Windows 7. Applications will likely get more demanding though as average hardware gets faster.

I'd go for it, Windows 10 does offer several improvements and often runs faster on the same hardware.

Original Poster

chocci1 h, 15 m ago

Its his laptop, let him win for once and keep windows 7 on it (as he wants …Its his laptop, let him win for once and keep windows 7 on it (as he wants to do)

but i know best

You're a GIRL?

I don't think a woman who needs to appeal to Ask for assistance with what colour lipstick she should wear has any business updating someone's laptop against their will.

Leave his laptop alone and stick to diy and washing flip flops.

Original Poster

raptorcigs1 h, 43 m ago

You're a GIRL?

Yes, so I been telling everyone for a while now!

Original Poster

dxx1 h, 16 m ago

I don't think a woman who needs to appeal to Ask for assistance with what …I don't think a woman who needs to appeal to Ask for assistance with what colour lipstick she should wear has any business updating someone's laptop against their will.

it was not the colour of lipstick, it was the texture of lipstick, completely different question! i am not forcing my husband to upgrade the operating system on his laptop, i am just swaying him towards that direction for his own good

You're a GIRL?!

Firstly. I'd backup using Paragon backup & recovery for example before doing anything.

Next I'd check for the model, hardware, etc, to see if Windows 10 will play nicely with your hardware. It should. But it's worth checking. Download any drivers before hand in case.

Original Poster

rev61 h, 21 m ago

Firstly. I'd backup using Paragon backup & recovery for example before …Firstly. I'd backup using Paragon backup & recovery for example before doing anything.Next I'd check for the model, hardware, etc, to see if Windows 10 will play nicely with your hardware. It should. But it's worth checking. Download any drivers before hand in case.

How do i check this? Is there a list somewhere of compatible specs for windows 10

mutley12 m ago

How do i check this? Is there a list somewhere of compatible specs for …How do i check this? Is there a list somewhere of compatible specs for windows 10

Not exactly. Search the model of laptop followed by Windows 10. See if there's any discussions about issues or anything. If you have external hardware like a printer/scanner or webcam. See if there's Windows 10 drivers.

Original Poster

rev658 s ago

Not exactly. Search the model of laptop followed by Windows 10. See if …Not exactly. Search the model of laptop followed by Windows 10. See if there's any discussions about issues or anything. If you have external hardware like a printer/scanner or webcam. See if there's Windows 10 drivers.

Good idea. Will do

mutley12 h, 21 m ago

Do you have a stutter?

No but my keyboard suffers from copy & paste

Buy a new hard drive install win 10 on that if he does not like it just shove the old hard drive back in but watch out for driver issues as a win 7 lappy has a good chance of wifi and mouse pad issues with win 10 os,my other half (our Maud) has a lenovo and it's a pain in the arse.

mutley117 h, 45 m ago

Good idea. Will do

Seriously, don't do. Upgrading to Win10 is easy, but dealing with fixing it if it goes wrong is where things can get difficult, and you're not exactly known for your ability to identify, understand, and resolve issues. What are you going to do if it won't boot after installation? What about if the Wifi and ethernet don't work, or if all his files are gone, or if some essential software gets auto-removed during the upgrade process? How are you going to notice all these things, and fix them?

Just leave his laptop alone. It's not going to get "slower and slower" because MS will "start to forget" about Win7. That's not how things work. Your best case scenario is that you might change his OS to one he doesn't want, and give him a mix of minor improvements and minor annoyances. Your worst is that you might mess it up completely, and cause him no end of trouble.

If you want to do something genuinely useful for him, set up a home microserver, and configure it to take automated backups of his laptop and yours every few days. Don't risk breaking his laptop and losing all his stuff.
Edited by: "dxx" 9th Oct 2017

Original Poster

dxx15 m ago

Seriously, don't do. Upgrading to Win10 is easy, but dealing with fixing …Seriously, don't do. Upgrading to Win10 is easy, but dealing with fixing it if it goes wrong is where things can get difficult, and you're not exactly known for your ability to identify, understand, and resolve issues. What are you going to do if it won't boot after installation? What about if the Wifi and ethernet don't work, or if all his files are gone, or if some essential software gets auto-removed during the upgrade process? How are you going to notice all these things, and fix them? Just leave his laptop alone. It's not going to get "slower and slower" because MS will "start to forget" about Win7. That's not how things work. Your best case scenario is that you might change his OS to one he doesn't want, and give him a mix of minor improvements and minor annoyances. Your worst is that you might mess it up completely, and cause him no end of trouble. If you want to do something genuinely useful for him, set up a home microserver, and configure it to take automated backups of his laptop and yours every few days. Don't risk breaking his laptop and losing all his stuff.

i have had a rethink from all the replies and i have decided to leave his laptop alone as he uses it for work and he would kill me if i broke it! i would get no end of an ear ache!

i am going to give him my laptop next year when i buy a new one and throw his laptop out. he seems happy enough with this

mutley17 h, 59 m ago

i have had a rethink from all the replies and i have decided to leave his …i have had a rethink from all the replies and i have decided to leave his laptop alone as he uses it for work and he would kill me if i broke it! i would get no end of an ear ache!i am going to give him my laptop next year when i buy a new one and throw his laptop out. he seems happy enough with this

Good to hear it.

Don't throw it out refresh it and give it to an under privaliged kid

mutley19th Oct

i have had a rethink from all the replies and i have decided to leave his …i have had a rethink from all the replies and i have decided to leave his laptop alone as he uses it for work and he would kill me if i broke it! i would get no end of an ear ache!i am going to give him my laptop next year when i buy a new one and throw his laptop out. he seems happy enough with this

I'm sure you can afford it, happy laptop hunting!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants