Upgrade iPhone 6 to Xiaomi, which one or should I maybe even downgrade?

Found 28th Mar
I'm not even sure I'm spelling this correctly!

Is there a Xiaomi phone which constitutes an upgrade to the iPhone 6 which costs less than say the iPhone 7 deal that Giff Gaff are doing at around £250?

And if you say Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 then isn't it better to just wait for the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s to come down in price once the initial presale and early adopters have all got their one. The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 is currently on sale for around 278 and once a Xiaomi goes to a new low price it seems to me like it will keep hitting that sale price so anyone who missed out can just jump in again in a week or two or three...

Earlier on I was browsing eBay and saw an Mi A1 for £110 but I was humming and hawwwing and someone else grabbed it. They're probably a member here! Did I miss out? I'm thinking no as that just means I've got 110 blabs in my pocket to put towards the Mi Mix 2s when it comes out.

Let me know what you think, maybe the best thing to do is get a down grade of the Redmi 5, or something like it with a nice screen and big battery, and then at least I'll have a phone that will last all day and look nice for Youtube, Clash of Clans, email and this blooming site which (other than calls and texts) makes up 90% of my phone usage.

I can then take all those pennies and put them towards a nice DSLR and never ever think about how good my phone camera is ever again. Until the next deal comes up here.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
The Mi Mix 2 price has already dropped for the past few weeks and I don't think it will drop more for the next 1-2 months, if you need a phone now then the Redmi 5 Plus global version is a good pick.

Also, keep in mind that you may need to pay custom charges if you order from Aliexpress as some sellers don't under declare the value or you can get it from Hong Kong Goldway, eGlobal, Gearbest or Banggood (Priority line shipping) with no customs at all.
Edited by: "swiftez" 28th Mar
Good to know the names of a few places to minimise the risk of duty.
In the same boat mate and have no idea with so many phones around. Come on experts help us out(embarrassed)
xbox255 h, 28 m ago

In the same boat mate and have no idea with so many phones around. Come on …In the same boat mate and have no idea with so many phones around. Come on experts help us out(embarrassed)

The issue for me is partly that people are able to on the one hand say the iPhone or a Samsung are over priced and you can get the same or better for way less yet on the other say there’s no comparison between iPhone or Samsung and these other hand sets for a whole host of features, be it speed, reliability, camera etc etc.

The Mi Mix 2 is a beautiful phone but let down by what seems like a worse camera than the Mi A1 which I saw on eBay for £110 with a year warranty from Music Magpie. The Mi Mix 2s has apparently addressed that problem. But it costs more than an iPhone 8 would in like new condition with a year warranty from the likes of Music Magpie. Or the Samsung s8.

So many people hate on the big company phones but can’t realistically recommend what someone who owns an older version of them should get. The market for these other handsets are full of buyers moving from one cheap phone to another. I see deals for brand new U.K. seller phones go hot on here all the time and if you’re looking to buy one of those because you own a Moto G4 with a bootloop issue then it’s easy. Moving from the iPhone 6 or 7 to one of them is a different kettle of fish....

Gosh. Also I’m so totally baffled and overwhelmed I can’t think straight and probably come across as a moron but honestly it’s because I’ve been seeing these deals for so long now and I’m confused as. No one else ever says things like ‘i bought the xiaomi bla bla and I used to own a Samsung s8 and it’s just great I can’t believe I wasted my money on it’ and have someone else confirm it.

There was an mi a1 thread recently and a person on there said the camera was better than their iPhone 8 which was a funny comment as is it really or is it the option of taking “portrait mode” bokeh photos what they really like when in actual fact the low light photos suck in comparison, the selfies suck, the actual photo quality sucks and other people then poo pooed it when I asked them in different threads!!!?!?

Sorry I’m waffling here a lot. It’s late and I’ve not slept much recently and seemingly I’ve lost any ability I had to talk sense and be concise.
I was perfectly happy iPhone user for the past 10 years until they purposely slowed down older models- can barely use it now. So for that reason I’m looking at different brands just cause I don’t wanna give them another dime.

Reading some of the threads sounds like whole PS4 vs Xbox vs PC, you don’t really get a constructive view, more like people supporting their brand. I’m just looking for something with with smooth UI and longevity and not fussed about camera quality much as the market has stagnated to a point where companies only seems to focus on camera and phone size so every every there’s one better then other with huge price tags.

Don’t know how but I’ve narrowed it down the P20 (UI looks like iPhone so transitions would be easier+plus free bose) and S8 (just like the look look of it). I thought about 2s but really don’t feel comfortable spending that much for something from Chinese type eBay and not sure how customer service would if something goes wrong and I also think you have wait a bit for shipping.
All the best in your search mate:D
xbox2538 m ago

I was perfectly happy iPhone user for the past 10 years until they …I was perfectly happy iPhone user for the past 10 years until they purposely slowed down older models- can barely use it now. So for that reason I’m looking at different brands just cause I don’t wanna give them another dime.Reading some of the threads sounds like whole PS4 vs Xbox vs PC, you don’t really get a constructive view, more like people supporting their brand. I’m just looking for something with with smooth UI and longevity and not fussed about camera quality much as the market has stagnated to a point where companies only seems to focus on camera and phone size so every every there’s one better then other with huge price tags. Don’t know how but I’ve narrowed it down the P20 (UI looks like iPhone so transitions would be easier+plus free bose) and S8 (just like the look look of it). I thought about 2s but really don’t feel comfortable spending that much for something from Chinese type eBay and not sure how customer service would if something goes wrong and I also think you have wait a bit for shipping.All the best in your search mate:D

Cheers, I’ll look into your suggestions, saw the Bose thing in a CPW window this morning then on here.

I’m interested to see how much they start going for on eBay as folk sell off their brand new unopened ones. The Mix 2s is my preferred choice but like you say there’s a lot of issues there.

Your way of describing the discussions folk have about the models does seem to be very much as you say, following their brand.

Saw someone using an iPhone X earlier today and thought it looked very premium, perhaps first time I’ve thought that about a phone since the original iPhone or perhaps the 4...
Schwifty17 h, 9 m ago

The Mi Mix 2 is a beautiful phone but let down by what seems like a worse …The Mi Mix 2 is a beautiful phone but let down by what seems like a worse camera than the Mi A1

The Mi Mix 2 camera is better than the Mi A1 as the Mix 2 (rear) uses Sony IMX386 sensor whereas the A1 uses Omnivision.

Schwifty17 h, 9 m ago

There was an mi a1 thread recently and a person on there said the camera …There was an mi a1 thread recently and a person on there said the camera was better than their iPhone 8 which was a funny comment

You can improve the Mi A1 camera by rooting the phone and install the Google Camera port which improves picture quality and low light shots and is better than the stock camera app.
Edited by: "swiftez" 29th Mar
Indeed, and it has portrait mode and more. It just seems to be a unclear as to whether the actual pictures it takes are better. One person said to do this and got better pics than with their significantly more pricey iPhone 8. Another person scoffed at that and said it's nonsense portrait mode notwithstanding.

Not owning either never mind both I couldn't comment. Seemingly installing the Google Camera port improves the pictures on all android devices so probably would on Mi Mix 2 as well.

The Mi Mix 2 camera is better, as you say, but there is only one of them on the back, having two opens up new opportunities. It's rated as worse on review sites too, so while I don't doubt your sincerity I have only got a lot of conflicting information to go on.

iPhone X feels really premium on its own but hard to justify paying over £1000 for a phone and that’s not including taking predecessors into consideration.

Have a look at this:

Reason why I’m leaning towards P20 and as for Bose, knowing myself I’ll probably end up keeping it......
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure this thread will help others even though it looks like its just the three of us posting.
Schwifty35 m ago

Indeed, and it has portrait mode and more. It just seems to be a unclear …Indeed, and it has portrait mode and more. It just seems to be a unclear as to whether the actual pictures it takes are better. One person said to do this and got better pics than with their significantly more pricey iPhone 8. Another person scoffed at that and said it's nonsense portrait mode notwithstanding. Not owning either never mind both I couldn't comment. Seemingly installing the Google Camera port improves the pictures on all android devices so probably would on Mi Mix 2 as well.

Pictures taken with the Google Camera port are better as it uses Google's HDR+ algorithm rather than Xiaomi's and it also has EIS for videos. You can find video comparisons of the camera quality using the stock and Google Camera app on Youtube.

Schwifty35 m ago

The Mi Mix 2 camera is better, as you say, but there is only one of them …The Mi Mix 2 camera is better, as you say, but there is only one of them on the back, having two opens up new opportunities.

The second rear camera on the Mi A1 is a 2x optical zoom.

Also, you can't really go wrong with the Mi A1 which is running stock Android Oreo and has many support on XDA with customs ROMs such as LineageOS for £138 64GB Gold or £142 64GB Black with no custom charges.
Indeed, perhaps then I did miss out on the £110 music magpie one on eBay. Sure there will be others and my iPhone 6 running hot is still good, despite coming into Spring I find it works as a handy pocket warmer.
Just quick update. I ordered P20 with Vodafone since I already have sim only with them.
32GB plus free Spotify (very important for me) and Bose headphone
£34.50x24=836 and upgrade after 18months so least sell it off for a bit if turns out bad. Works out cheaper rather then buying headset outright on top of my contract
Best of luck to you with it, happy you’re sorted. Still thinking of a Chinese risk-it-for-a-biscuit myself!
swiftez28th Mar

The Mi Mix 2 price has already dropped for the past few weeks and I don't …The Mi Mix 2 price has already dropped for the past few weeks and I don't think it will drop more for the next 1-2 months, if you need a phone now then the Redmi 5 Plus global version is a good pick.Also, keep in mind that you may need to pay custom charges if you order from Aliexpress as some sellers don't under declare the value or you can get it from Hong Kong Goldway, eGlobal, Gearbest or Banggood (Priority line shipping) with no customs at all.

how do you avoid customs with gearbest/banggood etc, are they shipping from within EU or are you using EU warehouses for ordering? Priority Line shipping from China should get custom/vat charge if inspected ?
Edited by: "zaheer2003" 26th May
zaheer20033 m ago

how do you avoid customs with gearbest/banggood etc, are they shipping …how do you avoid customs with gearbest/banggood etc, are they shipping from within EU or are you using EU warehouses for ordering? Priority Line shipping from China should get custom/vat charge if inspected ?

With the slow shipping, it's because Gearbest and similar companies mark the item as a gift and understate the value. It's highly unlikely that customs would check it (but not impossible as some people have been charged). If you choose a courier such as DHL though, you will probably be charged as they check their parcels more thoroughly.
zaheer200314 h, 34 m ago

how do you avoid customs with gearbest/banggood etc, are they shipping …how do you avoid customs with gearbest/banggood etc, are they shipping from within EU or are you using EU warehouses for ordering? Priority Line shipping from China should get custom/vat charge if inspected ?

Turns out that Xiaomi are expanding into France and they have some items on Amazon I believe via their Spain or Portugal locations but I'm not sure as I've not looked into it much.

I ended up avoiding customs by buying a Redmi Note 5 on eBay (UK) as the seller was either Chinese or visited China and brought it back with them. This was before the global release of the phone so I got my hands on one without band 20 but that doesn't matter to me as I'm not using that band.

eBay is always worth a look for these sorts of things as I've mentioned before the Mi A1 occasionally was being sold by music magpie for around £109 and in pretty much pristine condition. Which is a good example of saving compared to the Chinese sites and other sellers on eBay too. You'd get a warranty with them but I don't know what they'd do if something went wrong, probably attempt a software repair for you but not hardware ones. Who knows.

The private sellers there also sell them and I saw several Mi A1s going for cheaper than the stores were selling them and if that's an indication of the other handsets you'd have saved some cash and not had to worry about imports.

With regards to your actual question though it's as the previous poster said, the method is to choose the cheapest shipping option according to lots of folk here. Anacodtal evidence suggests DHL operate with more stringent rules.

When the devices are in stock and they actually can post your order they seem to take less than two weeks to arrive on average but sometimes people have had to wait long periods as they are buying on a prerelease or the seller doesn't hold much stock so if you find a deal it's worth asking about them or doing research first - the likes of AliExpress is similar to eBay in that it is private sellers rather than official stores so some are better than others.
Incidentally the Redmi note 5 is an upgrade on the iPhone 6 - no doubt about it. When it first arrived I thought it was huge but by that afternoon I felt like it was just right, looking at smaller phones now makes me feel like a giant. I'm over six foot tall and hadn't realised that I can use a larger phone so comfortably and anything these days is so easy in the pocket compared to the phones I would carry around back in 2000-2010.

The battery is way better, the camera is better although at night it's not amazing but still better than the iPhone was and the front facing camera is better but could do with some software tweaks.

The downside is android is ugly. The features are great, things like being able to set your phone to silent for a time period and little things like that. The font is ugly, the apps are ugly etc etc and I am an app developer so I knew all about that already from an objective point of view. The emoticons are ugly too. But anyway you get used to the ugliness and having a battery that lasts four times as long when out and about makes it all much more worth while.

They're a great stop gap til too, Xiaomi phones are cheap and can be sold in one year to recoup a lot of the money. I'll sell mine at some point say at the end of the year or start of 2019 for £100 minimum and that means it will have cost me 5 - 9 quid a month to own in the mean time max. Could potentially get £150 for it and have paid £30 for a phone that's great for a year.
Schwifty11 m ago

Incidentally the Redmi note 5 is an upgrade on the iPhone 6 - no doubt …Incidentally the Redmi note 5 is an upgrade on the iPhone 6 - no doubt about it. When it first arrived I thought it was huge but by that afternoon I felt like it was just right, looking at smaller phones now makes me feel like a giant. I'm over six foot tall and hadn't realised that I can use a larger phone so comfortably and anything these days is so easy in the pocket compared to the phones I would carry around back in 2000-2010. The battery is way better, the camera is better although at night it's not amazing but still better than the iPhone was and the front facing camera is better but could do with some software tweaks.The downside is android is ugly. The features are great, things like being able to set your phone to silent for a time period and little things like that. The font is ugly, the apps are ugly etc etc and I am an app developer so I knew all about that already from an objective point of view. The emoticons are ugly too. But anyway you get used to the ugliness and having a battery that lasts four times as long when out and about makes it all much more worth while. They're a great stop gap til too, Xiaomi phones are cheap and can be sold in one year to recoup a lot of the money. I'll sell mine at some point say at the end of the year or start of 2019 for £100 minimum and that means it will have cost me 5 - 9 quid a month to own in the mean time max. Could potentially get £150 for it and have paid £30 for a phone that's great for a year.

Stock Android is great, but MIUI (Xiaomi's custom UI) is not. Have you put a custom launcher on your Note 5? If you haven't, you should (I recommend Nova Launcher but there are many other ones available).
Schwifty25 m ago

Turns out that Xiaomi are expanding into France and they have some items …Turns out that Xiaomi are expanding into France and they have some items on Amazon I believe via their Spain or Portugal locations but I'm not sure as I've not looked into it much.I ended up avoiding customs by buying a Redmi Note 5 on eBay (UK) as the seller was either Chinese or visited China and brought it back with them. This was before the global release of the phone so I got my hands on one without band 20 but that doesn't matter to me as I'm not using that band. eBay is always worth a look for these sorts of things as I've mentioned before the Mi A1 occasionally was being sold by music magpie for around £109 and in pretty much pristine condition. Which is a good example of saving compared to the Chinese sites and other sellers on eBay too. You'd get a warranty with them but I don't know what they'd do if something went wrong, probably attempt a software repair for you but not hardware ones. Who knows. The private sellers there also sell them and I saw several Mi A1s going for cheaper than the stores were selling them and if that's an indication of the other handsets you'd have saved some cash and not had to worry about imports.With regards to your actual question though it's as the previous poster said, the method is to choose the cheapest shipping option according to lots of folk here. Anacodtal evidence suggests DHL operate with more stringent rules. When the devices are in stock and they actually can post your order they seem to take less than two weeks to arrive on average but sometimes people have had to wait long periods as they are buying on a prerelease or the seller doesn't hold much stock so if you find a deal it's worth asking about them or doing research first - the likes of AliExpress is similar to eBay in that it is private sellers rather than official stores so some are better than others.

Amazon sell Xiaomi products on Amazon UK, but they are overpriced as they are using (presumably) foreign stock from Spain. Amazon also sell Xiaomi products on Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, and Amazon.it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants