Found 29th Dec 2010
Hi all

I have a dell poweredge sc440 which I found on HUKD 3 years ago. Whacked 4GB of RAM in and a half decent graphics card, and it's been great for the past 3 years.

Now I feel the need to upgrade and was thinking:

Q6600 (ebay) £90
1TB Samsung F3 (scan) £40
Extra 2GB ram £60 (expensive, but sc440s need ECC ram)

But as this is throwing nearly £200 at the machine, is there anything comparable for £200-£300, or is it better just to go for the upgrade?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
4 Comments

I think the problem's that you're scraping the barrel for old, low-end parts there, which is never a good way to upgrade, since it means you're spending a load of cash to go from obsolete to stay obsolete, except slightly faster.

Personally, I would self-build. It'll be more expensive, but you'll be able to kit yourself out with 2010 hardware for not that much more. Take a scope around Ebuyer, see how much it would cost you for an AMD quad core system, and see the difference 4 years of technological advancement can make over the likes of that Q6600.

Original Poster

dxx

I think the problem's that you're scraping the barrel for old, low-end … I think the problem's that you're scraping the barrel for old, low-end parts there, which is never a good way to upgrade, since it means you're spending a load of cash to go from obsolete to stay obsolete, except slightly faster. Personally, I would self-build. It'll be more expensive, but you'll be able to kit yourself out with 2010 hardware for not that much more. Take a scope around Ebuyer, see how much it would cost you for an AMD quad core system, and see the difference 4 years of technological advancement can make over the likes of that Q6600.

Cheers for the tip, I thought the Q6600 was a pretty good well respected processor, albeit a bit old, baring in mind that I'm currently on an E2160 at the moment.

Will have a look at the ebuyer stuff, any tips would be great. Also, hardware virtualisaton, do most processors have this now?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Quad core amd barebones for £207 at novatech

Just had a look at this one, thanks for pointing it out. I take it i'd only need to chuck a hard drive in this and I'd be away?

centaurandrew

Just had a look at this one, thanks for pointing it out. I take it i'd … Just had a look at this one, thanks for pointing it out. I take it i'd only need to chuck a hard drive in this and I'd be away?

And an optical drive, (a better gfx card if you like)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4176
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions