Upgrading a netbook with an SSD drive...is it worth it?

Found 16th Apr 2012
I have a netbook with a 640gb Samsung Spinpoint M7 hard drive. I am pretty sure I've only filled it because having loads of space means I've got lazy with actually deleting stuff. My netbook is a Lenovo S10-3...a handsome little netbook, which does everything I want in a computer. But it does slow down sometimes, particularly when trying to draw data from the hard drive (playing videos, RAW images in Picasa).
I'm not sure whether this is because the system components are just too slow...

I've upgraded the RAM to 2GB. Since my hard drive is a 5400rpm drive, is this likely to cause a bottleneck considering the relatively weak components inside? Would I benefit from any of the following;
7200rpm drive
10000rpm drive
Seagate Momentus XT (SSD & 7200rpm drive combined)
Proper SSD drive (if so, which sort would be best for a netbook).

Look forward to hearing from the experts out there (Am guessing there are quite a few, because SSD deals seem to be popping up every few hours on here!)
Community Updates
MiscLaptopSSD
5 Comments
punkstoner1

Simple answer.YES.Inb4 the neckbeards.Proper SSD. I use an OCZ agility 3. … Simple answer.YES.Inb4 the neckbeards.Proper SSD. I use an OCZ agility 3. Not looked back since buying :)(thats in a netbook, alienware M11X)

No sata 3 though , yeah ?
deleted494932Original Poster
punkstoner1

Simple answer.YES.Inb4 the neckbeards.Proper SSD. I use an OCZ agility 3. … Simple answer.YES.Inb4 the neckbeards.Proper SSD. I use an OCZ agility 3. Not looked back since buying :)(thats in a netbook, alienware M11X)

Aah...I think we have different definitions of netbook! Yours looks like a speed demon...mine is rather different. It's a Lenovo S10-3, running on Intel GMA 950 & Atom N455 single core. Would be more than happy with it if it were more responsive. SSD is my final option (aside from reverting back to Windows XP from Windows 7 - which I like).

So yes, any other thoughts or advice from anyone? Will an SSD improve things for my lowly netbook...or should I just accept the fact that I am at the bottom of the computing tree?
It would improve performance, but you will still be at the bottom of the computing tree when doing anything CPU intensive. So it would speed up RAW photo loading, but likely not enough to justify the cost (and space compromise) of the SSD. They simply weren't designed for that sort of task and its always going to be a struggle...
deleted494932Original Poster
jah128

It would improve performance, but you will still be at the bottom of the … It would improve performance, but you will still be at the bottom of the computing tree when doing anything CPU intensive. So it would speed up RAW photo loading, but likely not enough to justify the cost (and space compromise) of the SSD. They simply weren't designed for that sort of task and its always going to be a struggle...

Many thanks for the comment. Am now looking at upgrading to an AMD Fusion equipped 11.6" laptop...which will make much better use of an SSD (and has much better performance anyway).

Thanks to everyone else for contributing.
I only just saw this thread.

I upgraded my weedy old netbook with an ssd and it was certainly worth the money.

There is little point in spending 100s on the laptop if it is not going to do much a netbook with ssd can't. You can also reuse the ssd later in the next machine if you decide it isn't enough in the netbook.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions