upgrading from economy to business class flight for cheap

i'm flying to las vegas from heathrow in november, flight already booked through expedia. are there any useful tricks or deals to upgrade cheaply to business, or first? its a 15 hour flight, hoping to make it as comfortable as possible.

23 Comments

I'd like to know this too please. I'm flying with Emirates to Mauritius in November but to upgrade is very expensive.. any tips would be great

15 hrs to Vegas.........not direct then

Original Poster

mattinhull

15 hrs to Vegas.........not direct then

GLA to heathrow, then heathrow to vegas. the heathrow/vegas leg is 10 hrs.

you can fly.from Glasgow in 10Hours. cancel flight and rebook from Glasgow

bring a travel pillow

no cheap way to get business class
can get more legroom by choosing a seat with the emergency exit but a lot of airlines charge extra for this
if there was cheap reliable way to upgrade everybody would be in on it 10 hours not too long really
I did manage to blag a business class seat with jal once about 12 years ago (Tokyo -lhr)
my essentials for long haul flights noise cancelling headphones ,eyemask , memory foam neck pillow ugg boots and plenty of entertainment try and eat before flying and an aisle seat

Edited by: "mattmerch" 6th Feb

I have flown uncountable times all over the world and have never been able to get an upgrade. Only once was it offered at a cost of £200 because I had a security check.
I even once had to sit next to a man with an immense sweating problem, they still wouldnt move me but forced him to take a wash,lol.

short skirt, low cut top etc,

mattmerch

no cheap way to get business class can get more legroom by choosing a … no cheap way to get business class can get more legroom by choosing a seat with the emergency exit but a lot of airlines charge extra for this if there was cheap reliable way to upgrade everybody would be in on it 10 hours not too long really :)I did manage to blag a business class seat with jal once about 12 years ago (Tokyo -lhr) my essentials for long haul flights noise cancelling headphones ,eyemask , memory foam neck pillow ugg boots and plenty of entertainment try and eat before flying and an aisle seat

Why an aisle seat, you constantly get knocked by people walking past and getting up for those next to you.

They tend to only bumped you one tier, so from economy you'd get upgraded to premium economy.

I used to fly a lot to the US for business. I found it you booked the back row of premium economy (on BA) they'd have it blocked off sometimes (no idea why) and then we'd get moved to business, which was nice
That the only way I ever found it to happen. . .

rhinopaul

Why an aisle seat, you constantly get knocked by people walking past and … Why an aisle seat, you constantly get knocked by people walking past and getting up for those next to you.

never get knocked myself rather have access than climb over ppl guess its all personal preference
Edited by: "mattmerch" 6th Feb

As the others have said ,it is rare to get an upgrade,even if the flight is overbooked the passengers with frequent miles status usually get the upgrades.

Original Poster

thanks for the advice all, guess i'll just try and make myself as comfy as possible!

Whenever I've flown to Vegas the flight has always been full.
Business Class is usually dominated by groups of wedding parties.
Best to upgrade at the time of booking if possible.

tasape

As the others have said ,it is rare to get an upgrade,even if the flight … As the others have said ,it is rare to get an upgrade,even if the flight is overbooked the passengers with frequent miles status usually get the upgrades.

exactly this

gone are the days that you can go to checkin dressed smartly or beg / grovel at checkin

Frequent flyers with high miles might get an upgrade at the last minute ( I have had this a few times on short haul flights) but normally any upgrades either don't happen or business is full or they sell the upgrades to frequent flyers in exchange for miles

EliTom

rhinopaul

Why an aisle seat, you constantly get knocked by people walking past and … Why an aisle seat, you constantly get knocked by people walking past and getting up for those next to you.

better than being squashed against the window by someone oversized

Only ever had one free upgrade and that was last January on our way back from Dubai with BA, only moved up into Premium Economy but all 4 of us got moved, my wife and her parents. We'd prepaid for two extra bags, I had a free upgrade ticket still to use and a lot of air miles which I've since used this January for an upgrade to Business Class, again coming back from Dubai. Good Luck

Depending on the airline, some will offer you a bidding option to upgrade your flight nearer to check in. You place a bid on how much extra you would be prepared to pay. I know Etihad do.
Last year got a very cheap flight from Manchester to India flying with them. Only paid £178 return. Got an email before the flight to offer an upgrade. At the airport on the day they were offering upgrades for £400 just on the outward flight. But you could not use the lounge.

Smarty121

I'd like to know this too please. I'm flying with Emirates to Mauritius … I'd like to know this too please. I'm flying with Emirates to Mauritius in November but to upgrade is very expensive.. any tips would be great

When we flew to Mauritius got on at Dubai and business class was full of Russian gangster families .

Last time I had an upgrade it was because I was wearing an anti-vivisection t-shirt and the check in girl liked it. Got myself and the guy I was travelling with bumped up to business.

When you check in or check your baggage in, ask if their is any cheap upgrades. Got one once going to greece, it was only to an extra legroom but got it for only £25 each. Well worth it.

If you booked economy with Etihad you can 'bid' for an upgrade to business class, but there is a minimum amount. Turkish Airlines will also let you purchase an upgrade to business at the check in desk.

For Emirates this is from the website:

Can any fare and ticket be upgraded on Emirates?
Your ability to upgrade your cabin class will depend on the fare brand and type of ticket you purchase.
Economy Class and Business Class tickets purchased as Saver, Flex and Flex Plus fares can be upgraded online up to six hours before departure, except for Economy Class Saver tickets which can only be upgraded at online check-in between 48 and six hours before departure. You can upgrade online using Manage your booking.
Please note Economy Class Special fares aren’t eligible for upgrades, and all upgrades are subject to seat availability and restrictions.

As a previous poster said it is likely that the flight to Vegas will be already booked for business class as it is a popular route. You could try and ask at the check in desk if you can purchase an upgrade but I guess they would only consider if economy was full/spaces in business class and priority probably given to FF or solo travellers.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions