Upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 Question

5 replies
Found 19th Jan 2010
If I took out the Windows 7 upgrade offer with Acer, is there anything to stop me from using the Windows 7 upgrade copy I get on a completely new machine (new build) and leaving the old Vista installation as is on my old computer?

I'm wandering if when you activate Windows 7, it prevents the old copy of Vista from authenticating again.

5 Comments

Although you will be able to do it. I think you will find it's not legal to have both copies running.

Original Poster

Plum;7597226

Although you will be able to do it. I think you will find it's not legal … Although you will be able to do it. I think you will find it's not legal to have both copies running.

So far, I haven't read anything that will mean doing so is against the terms of use?

flyingflea;7597285

So far, I haven't read anything that will mean doing so is against the … So far, I haven't read anything that will mean doing so is against the terms of use?

I assume this would fall under the general Microsoft Policy that you can only use your product key on one computer. The Upgrade option is aimed at Upgrading your one license to a new Upgraded license. I guess if you get a totally new product key and it does not invalidate the old key in terms and conditions then you can use them both.

I would be shocked if this was legal.

I thought I had read somewhere that once the new Windows 7 licence is activated, it "kills" the Vista licence

Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I tell all my customers

dcx_badass;7606001

Not if you do the clean install work around, but If you upgrade I don't … Not if you do the clean install work around, but If you upgrade I don't think it kills it anyway.

OK Thanks, but I think I will keep telling my customers that as it might imply I am also breaking the law :-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Psn subscription11
    2. Is this expensive?712
    3. I posted a deal that has been removed511
    4. Laptop Recommendation - HELP PLEASE22

See more discussions