Upgrading Graphics on PC

Posted 27th Jan
I have a Zoostorm PC Windows 10 64bit,Asus Motherboard,Intel Pentium GPU 630@2.7GHz, 8GB Ram & Intel on-board graphics(VGA output) It has a 300W PSU.I would like to to upgrade the graphics without changing the PSU (if possible).Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

16 Comments
Something like a Nvidia 1050 Ti or a 1650 would be good as they are powered via the PCIe bus so don't require additional power, it really depends on your budget,

Is it a small form factor PC or just a standard tower?
Standard Tower, ASUS Motherboard P8H61-MX
As Gormond states, if you're looking for a bit of gaming, your best bet is either the 1050 Ti or 1650. Both require little power (maximum 75W draw, leaving plenty of power left for your other parts). The 1650 is newer and will provide a bit better gaming performance. Alternatively, the 1050 Ti is still a decent card with respectable FPS at medium/high 1080 gaming, and can be picked up new for £100 (probably get one cheaper second-hand). There are cheaper cards that draw little power though, like the GT 1030 2GB. Depends on your requirements for the card though. Check this link out:

graphicscardhub.com/gra…er/
Edited by: "MisterMadHatter" 27th Jan
javea27/01/2020 16:28

Standard Tower, ASUS Motherboard P8H61-MX

That suggests your CPU is the Pentium G630 rather than the Pentium 4 630 then.

That's recent enough that you can stick whichever graphics cards fulfills your requirements in there. Assuming there's not much in the system beyond what you've listed you've got quite a lot of spare power to play with - it should be plenty for most cards you'd want to put in an nine year old system.

If you're after suggestions for specific cards you'll need to provide some details on what you want from the upgrade.
In that case just swap the PSU to something like CX550M (£60) and go for an RX 580 8GB (£145).

Alternatively go with my above suggestion and get a PCIe powered card such as a 1650 for £120.

39775661-SzAn0.jpg
As you can see from the graph above, on a 17 game average from Techspot:

1050 Ti - 42 FPS
1650 - 53 FPS
580 8GB - 74 FPS

That should help you decide.

In addition to the above a CPU upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea, you can get an i5 3550 quad core from CEX for £25 - uk.webuy.com/pro…155

A full list of CPUs that the MB supports can be found here - cpu-upgrade.com/mb-…tml many of them very cheap second hand.
Edited by: "Gormond" 27th Jan
Thanks all for your comments.I don't really need a gaming PC just a basic upgrade for the Graphics.Can the CPU just be changed by simply removing the existing & replacing it with the upgrade?
javea27/01/2020 17:54

Thanks all for your comments.I don't really need a gaming PC just a basic …Thanks all for your comments.I don't really need a gaming PC just a basic upgrade for the Graphics.Can the CPU just be changed by simply removing the existing & replacing it with the upgrade?

Yeah the CPU is very easy to replace, plenty of videos on YT if you are unsure.

Changing the CPU will also give you a GPU upgrade as you are on integrated graphics currently so might be worth doing that first.

G630 vs i5 3550 for example - cpu.userbenchmark.com/Com…846
Edited by: "Gormond" 27th Jan
Gormond27/01/2020 18:13

Yeah the CPU is very easy to replace, plenty of videos on YT if you are …Yeah the CPU is very easy to replace, plenty of videos on YT if you are unsure.Changing the CPU will also give you a GPU upgrade as you are on integrated graphics currently so might be worth doing that first.G630 vs i5 3550 for example - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G630-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3550/m3112vsm846

If you are doing this (I've done something similar over the years with my current desktop) I would suggest getting a new CPU heatsink and fan as well, as a 2nd hand one from CEX will just be the chip. 2 year warranty from CEX too.

Think I went G630 to i3-2120 to i5-3570 - there's more than a fair chance you will also need to flash the BIOS too.
Any BIOS updates for the board would be available at asus.com/Mot…MX/ (assuming the board mentioned earlier is this, and not a revision.
javea27/01/2020 17:54

Thanks all for your comments.I don't really need a gaming PC just a basic …Thanks all for your comments.I don't really need a gaming PC just a basic upgrade for the Graphics.Can the CPU just be changed by simply removing the existing & replacing it with the upgrade?

Can you explain what you're trying to acheive? What capability do you want out of a new graphics chip that your current one doesn't provide?
Gormond27/01/2020 15:41

Something like a Nvidia 1050 Ti or a 1650 would be good as they are …Something like a Nvidia 1050 Ti or a 1650 would be good as they are powered via the PCIe bus so don't require additional power, it really depends on your budget,Is it a small form factor PC or just a standard tower?

They do require additional power, ie they do draw power, they just don't need any additional power cables.
MIDURIX27/01/2020 21:43

They do require additional power, ie they do draw power, they just don't …They do require additional power, ie they do draw power, they just don't need any additional power cables.

Additional, as in over what the PCIe slot provides, i.e. 75W.

A 300W PSU is plenty for running a 1050 Ti or 1650.
Gormond27/01/2020 22:07

Additional, as in over what the PCIe slot provides, i.e. 75W.A 300W PSU is …Additional, as in over what the PCIe slot provides, i.e. 75W.A 300W PSU is plenty for running a 1050 Ti or 1650.

I thought it was the 1050 that was bus powered, but the 1050ti needed the extra power? Having said that, my current 1050 does have additional power cables required - probably cos it's got a pretty LED you can only see through the vent holes in my solid side panel.
alg28/01/2020 09:50

I thought it was the 1050 that was bus powered, but the 1050ti needed the …I thought it was the 1050 that was bus powered, but the 1050ti needed the extra power? Having said that, my current 1050 does have additional power cables required - probably cos it's got a pretty LED you can only see through the vent holes in my solid side panel.

The 1050, 1050 Ti and 1650 all have bus powered versions. This isn't the case with the 1650 Super though, it requires additional power (although not much, around 25W more).
Edited by: "Gormond" 28th Jan
What are you expecting to gain from the upgrade.
Also, if your monitor is VGA only, then more recent cards dropped VGA support, first with the VGA connector itself, and later dropping the dual mode DVI-I that takes a VGA adapter. The 10 series definitely has no VGA, and not sure if all models lack DVI-I.
The DVI-I connector has 4 pins arranged around the "blade" end that support a VGA adapter, the DVI-D (digital only) lacks those pins - only a more expensive active converter can be used to support VGA with those.

Upgrading the CPU from Pentium G630 to an i3-3245 (£5 at CEX) would upgrade from the 2.7GHz dual core to 3.4GHz 2 core / 4 thread, and the integrated graphics from Intel HD (6 execution units) to HD4000 (16 EU and improved capability). If the objective is better video playback, than that might be all you need.
Edited by: "matth9999" 29th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants