Upgrading MacBook Pro (mid 2012) Memory upgrade.

Posted 29th Oct
Hoping someone can help.

I have a mid 2012 13” Mac book pro which I am looking at upgrading. I desperately need a new battery from my laptop as it only works when plugged in to the mains so could someone please advise me on what is the best value for money battery I can replace it with?
Also I am going to upgrade the RAM. Currently it has 2x2gb of a ram and looking to upgrade to 2x4gd as I think this is the maximum it will go up to?

All help would be greatest appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
The new iterations as you know ram and battery were not user serviceable.

My experience is if upgrading the ram, hdd & repacing the battery in a 2009 13" MBP. The 2009 and 2012 were pre-retina displays so the internals are fairly similar.

It should be fairly straight forward between youtube guides & amazon for the battery.

How to Replace the Battery in a 13-inch MacBook

ifixit.com/Gui…365

Ram

everymac.com/sys…tml
Sammy8629/10/2019 22:13

The new iterations as you know ram and battery were not user …The new iterations as you know ram and battery were not user serviceable.My experience is if upgrading the ram, hdd & repacing the battery in a 2009 13" MBP. The 2009 and 2012 were pre-retina displays so the internals are fairly similar.It should be fairly straight forward between youtube guides & amazon for the battery.How to Replace the Battery in a 13-inch MacBook [Video] https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Battery+Replacement/10365Ramhttps://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/macbook-pro-13-15-17-mid-2009-how-to-upgrade-ram-memory.html

Thank you Sammy. Do you know if it is possible that I can upgrade the ram to 2x8gb as I read some places online I can but according to Apple only 2x4gb. Thank you again
When I did upgrade mine max ram was 2x4gb. Suspect for that generation max.
Would have to double check though.
My current MBP 13" 2015 & 2017 Air both 8gb which was sufficient.
Upgraded my ram to 8gb and did a 1tb RAID by replacing my cd drive for an ssd and my hdd for another.all of this about two years ago. Never looked back. (On same model)
daastle30/10/2019 00:02

Upgraded my ram to 8gb and did a 1tb RAID by replacing my cd drive for an …Upgraded my ram to 8gb and did a 1tb RAID by replacing my cd drive for an ssd and my hdd for another.all of this about two years ago. Never looked back. (On same model)

If you don’t mind me asking how did and how much did it cost to do this? Something I’m definitely going to look in to and hopefully do this year
justonemore30/10/2019 00:04

If you don’t mind me asking how did and how much did it cost to do this? S …If you don’t mind me asking how did and how much did it cost to do this? Something I’m definitely going to look in to and hopefully do this year

Just off the top of my head, it was about 100 or so for the ram (also sold my old one) and whatever the price of two 500gb ssds is! You also need a caddy which is like a tenner .

Doing it in raid is risky as if one fails then it renders the other one unusable until you reset it! Got 800mbps read speeds off my ssd on raid and about 300 on two separate ssds.

The process is very straight forward . Just time machine your data onto an external hdd,fit the new ssds in, install mac off a usb, then plug the time machine on and recover it all!

If ya have any more questions feel free to ask
daastle30/10/2019 00:10

Just off the top of my head, it was about 100 or so for the ram (also sold …Just off the top of my head, it was about 100 or so for the ram (also sold my old one) and whatever the price of two 500gb ssds is! You also need a caddy which is like a tenner . Doing it in raid is risky as if one fails then it renders the other one unusable until you reset it! Got 800mbps read speeds off my ssd on raid and about 300 on two separate ssds.The process is very straight forward . Just time machine your data onto an external hdd,fit the new ssds in, install mac off a usb, then plug the time machine on and recover it all!If ya have any more questions feel free to ask

Will drop you a DM
justonemore29/10/2019 22:25

Thank you Sammy. Do you know if it is possible that I can upgrade the ram …Thank you Sammy. Do you know if it is possible that I can upgrade the ram to 2x8gb as I read some places online I can but according to Apple only 2x4gb. Thank you again

Yes, it should be possible. Apple state that 2x4gb is the max supported officially, though unofficially 2x8gb is widely acknowledged and used.
Hi, just a quick update. Task one for me was updating the RAM and I have been sent out a similar ram spec but it is for a desktop, miles larger than the one already in my Mac. Do you know where I can buy the best value for money RAM upgrade for my Mac? Think 8gb that fits? Thank you again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants