Upgrading MacBook Pro to SSD and Ram Upgrade

Posted 23rd May
Hi Everyone, so I’ve seen the videos on how to upgrade the memory on MacBooks fairly straightforward, I was looking to see if anyone has done one them selves and what SSD and Ram they recommend? Most reviews seem to say Samsung evo for the SSD not much info on the Ram, any help much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Go to crucial for ram and Samsung evo ssds are great
Depends on the age of your MacBook, if it’s retina onwards, you’re in for a shock. If it’s after 2015, I hope you like soldering irons and pcbdiagrams.
Easy job if it’s 2013 or older - but yea crucial for ram and a Samsung ssd for the win
What model Macbook do you have? I've upgraded the ram and fitted a SSD in my 2010 Macbok and 2011 MBP and it's extremely simple. But as said above for Retina models onwards it's a whole different story.
Haircut_10023/05/2020 18:10

What model Macbook do you have? I've upgraded the ram and fitted a SSD in …What model Macbook do you have? I've upgraded the ram and fitted a SSD in my 2010 Macbok and 2011 MBP and it's extremely simple. But as said above for Retina models onwards it's a whole different story.

Mines 2011 does look easy, how did you find it? Was it a massive difference?
Walibi23/05/2020 17:47

Depends on the age of your MacBook, if it’s retina onwards, you’re in for a …Depends on the age of your MacBook, if it’s retina onwards, you’re in for a shock. If it’s after 2015, I hope you like soldering irons and pcbdiagrams.

Haha yes I’ve heard luckily mines 2011
Thanks guys much appreciated for the help I’ll have a look
srb_23/05/2020 18:19

Mines 2011 does look easy, how did you find it? Was it a massive … Mines 2011 does look easy, how did you find it? Was it a massive difference?Haha yes I’ve heard luckily mines 2011

It’s extremely simple then, it’s just a case of flipping your Macbook over, removing the screws, lifting the bottom panel off and then just slotting the ram into the seat and putting in the new SSD. You’ll probably want to buy an USB 2.5” caddy so you can use your old HDD additional external storage. Also have a look at backing up your system via Time Machine to make it easy to restore your device.
Haircut_10023/05/2020 18:40

It’s extremely simple then, it’s just a case of flipping your Macbook ove …It’s extremely simple then, it’s just a case of flipping your Macbook over, removing the screws, lifting the bottom panel off and then just slotting the ram into the seat and putting in the new SSD. You’ll probably want to buy an USB 2.5” caddy so you can use your old HDD additional external storage. Also have a look at backing up your system via Time Machine to make it easy to restore your device.

I did this about 6 months ago on a similar spec'd Macbook pro 2011. Really easy to do and made a huge difference and it worked nice and quick! Then last week it completely died (tried everything, putting old hard drive back in, checked all the ram, tried to reload the software etc), but it is a nearly 10 year old machine. But for its last 6 months it flew!
Thanks guys I appreciate the help!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions