Groups

Upgrading memory on a desktop

My sister has been asking me to find out about upgrading the memory on her desktop, she ran a crucial scan and it says 2 slots available, it has 512mb and was looking to upgrade by either another 512mb, it runs xp and is just horribly slow, its about 3 years old and has a 160gb HD,
    the scan says it is DDRPC2700 memory, and she's to tight to buy a new one :-)

If i do a search on ebay is that all i would need to look for? and also how easy is it to install, once done do you have to make any changes to the BIOS etc, or is it all pretty straight forward, i have done it myself on a couple of laptops but never a desktop, any help would be great, cheers

13 Comments

its pretty straight forward i updated mine from half a gig to 2 gigs best thing i done much faster
    make sure you order correct ram site like crutial will give you the details . just turn machine off take out old ram and put the new one in bingo done machine will do the rst

its the same as changing laptop ram

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Mainboard_with_DDR2-RAM.JPG/800px-Mainboard_with_DDR2-RAM.JPG

Pull the white bits away from the ram, pull out ram, slot new ram in, push white bits inward.

What motherboard is it? What's the max capacity according to Crucial? Is the current 512mb 1x512 or 2x256?

Original Poster

phatboy123;5591384

its the same as changing laptop ram

So do i just search for DDR PC2700? are there any other configs or is that the memory i would need? rep left anyhoo:)

Really easy just a matter of slotting it in and thats it, Another 512mb will make a big difference to XP ,

Original Poster

emasu;5591431

Pop the white bits out, pull out ram, slot new ram in, push white bits … Pop the white bits out, pull out ram, slot new ram in, push white bits inward.What motherboard is it? What's the max capacity according to Crucial? Is the current 512mb 1x512 or 2x256?

Max allowed was a ridiculous amount something like 14444444? thought it must be wrong, current is 1 x 512mb i believe (just going from memory from the other day, not sure about the motherboard)

clondikemike;5591432

So do i just search for DDR PC2700? are there any other configs or is … So do i just search for DDR PC2700? are there any other configs or is that the memory i would need? rep left anyhoo:)

yep mate
    google.co.uk/pro…=en

Probably a 1GB or maybe 2GB max.

]This should be OK to boost it upto 1GB.

Original Poster

Rep left for all, great help guys (and gals as i cant tell from peoples usernames and avvys)

Original Poster

emasu;5591472

Probably a 1GB or maybe 2GB max.]This should be OK to boost it upto 1GB.

Cheers for the link emasu:thumbsup:

So it will make a big difference?, i has "freeram xp pro" on it and its showing its running with about 100mb free maximum,

Just make sure you get 184 pin,200 pin is for laptops
    play.com/PC/…tml

clondikemike;5591501

Cheers for the link emasu:thumbsup: So it will make a big difference?, i … Cheers for the link emasu:thumbsup: So it will make a big difference?, i has "freeram xp pro" on it and its showing its running with about 100mb free maximum,

should be a noticeable difference, esp when booting up.

Original Poster

Thanks all, massive help:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions