Groups

Upgrading netbooks

Hello there

I've got a Samsung nc10 - n270 @ 1.6ghz with 2 gb ram - the hard drive atm is 160gb but i dont use it for storage its merely for the net on the go so i want something thats really quick to boot - its running windows xp and boots in under a minute.

I was thinking of swapping out my standard hard drive for a SSD of around 64gb - as its running windows xp and only using an atom processor my query is will the boot up be that much quicker and will it run that much quicker to warrant a new £70 hard drive???

Daniel

2 Comments

If your only using it for the net just install a lightweight linux distro like puppy linux on the hard disk. As it loads the kernel into ram is runs very fast. Download a copy and use it off a usb first so see if you can get on with it (it's easy). Then if happy dual boot with your XP.

Total money spent £0!

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

If your only using it for the net just install a lightweight linux distro … If your only using it for the net just install a lightweight linux distro like puppy linux on the hard disk. As it loads the kernel into ram is runs very fast. Download a copy and use it off a usb first so see if you can get on with it (it's easy). Then if happy dual boot with your XP.Total money spent £0!

not a fan of linux - honestly don't find it runs faster than xp on a netbook

Anyways I've got a few xp only programs that i use daily so.....

Any advice on the ssd - it worth it ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44
      2. Is it worth spending £20k on a car?1722
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?613
      4. Beds55

See more discussions