Upgrading Outlook 2002-2007

7 replies
Found 11th Aug 2009
Hi,

I've bought a copy of Office 2007, complete with licence key.
In terms of upgrading (from 2002) Outlook, do I not need to worry about saving settings (such as rules/signatures), will it 'sort itself out' ?

I'll be saving the .pst folder, just in case! Am I right in saying that this saves all the emails (or does it also contain the config. settings too?)

Thanks for any comments..

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

just install and all shall be fine

No it should be fine if you are upgrading..
but PST backup is good practice.
If you want config file...
Make sure you backup your C:documents and settings\your profile name\application data\Microsoft\outlook

if you want your ost file (which i dont see the point then backup>)
c:documents and settings\ your profile name\ local settings\application data\ Microsoft\outlook

folder..as it stores your .NK2 file which keeps your suggest name email address (contacts you most commonly use)..This is just a backup step..Otherwise upgrade should retain everything ..as not changes to your personal data are made only outlook system files...

Original Poster

excellente!
Thanks for the responses - that's a good call on the .nk2 file! That would be a pain to recreate over time...

Much appreciated

Your pst contains the mail only, not the settings - what type of mail do you use with 2002?

John

Believe it or not, I just upgraded today to Outlook 2007. Had no problems at all as it keeps all settings & previous emails automatically for.

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5990505

Your pst contains the mail only, not the settings - what type of mail do … Your pst contains the mail only, not the settings - what type of mail do you use with 2002? John

Just a few POP3 accounts.. not involved with exchange, yet!

Caulcano;5991000

Believe it or not, I just upgraded today to Outlook 2007. Had no problems … Believe it or not, I just upgraded today to Outlook 2007. Had no problems at all as it keeps all settings & previous emails automatically for.

Excellent news!!

geneticmeddler;5990466

excellente! Thanks for the responses - that's a good call on the .nk2 … excellente! Thanks for the responses - that's a good call on the .nk2 file! That would be a pain to recreate over time...Much appreciated

yeah.. Lot of people forget the NK2 file

But as I mentioned you wont need to back it up for upgrade..If it was a complete rebuild of the OS then yeah you would need to capture all of the settings I mentioned.

good luck..:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions