Groups

UPGRADING PC-WHERE SHALL I START

Hi, currently have a 5 year old system:
    Its a AMD ATHOLN XP SOCKET A ZIF SOCKET WHATEVER that means!
    Chipset is a Via Vt 8325 PRO SAVAGE DDR PM266/KM66 CPU TO PCI BRIDGE
    80 GIG IDE HARD DRIVE!
    735 RAM
    S3 GRAPHICS DDR 32 MB
    PIONEER DVD 112 WRITER
    SAMSUNG DVD ROM (one which can read 360 backups)! i think itss KREON!

just got a 5.1 sound card today,
    IT HAS 4 PCI AND 1 agp-what does that mean?>

I watch films, go on the net and download mainly &LISTEN TO MUSIC, this is my main pc, what else can i add on here???how can i start upgrading?

46 Comments

Original Poster

ps i am going to get a new HTPC can anyone recommend something?

Mainly want to watch divx, mkv files, hd ready movies, occasional gaming using my xbox 360, i also have the V+ virgin box, and a hd dvd add on for the 360, i went to apple and he said its worth getting a mac mini and investing in the time capsule by apple should i ?

Apple TV could be more useful than time capsule for your needs

Original Poster

boothy thanks for that

do u not think that the graphics and the hard drive could do with an update?!

ideally im going to connect this to my 20inch tv its just for bedroom use u c!

roadie;1657055

boothy thanks for thatdo u not think that the graphics and the hard drive … boothy thanks for thatdo u not think that the graphics and the hard drive could do with an update?!ideally im going to connect this to my 20inch tv its just for bedroom use u c!

no,if it aint broke dont try and fix it...

The software has just been updated so through itunes you can use the movie rentals feature also(if you wanted)

Try refurb store and you mat get a cheaper deal

I have had one for a year and would highly recommend,

Time Capsule is just a combined Hard Drive/Airport Unit,nice but I think a little pricey at the moment

Its a AMD ATHOLN XP SOCKET A ZIF SOCKET WHATEVER that means! [ATHLON]

This is decive that holds the CPU [central proccessing unit] to the motherboard [square box with a silver lever]

IT HAS 4 PCI AND 1 agp-what does that mean?>

PCI are the [normally coloured white ] long slotted boxes on the motherboard that you would fit extra devices :like sound card, modem, network card , firewire card etc .
    The AGP [Advanced Graphics POrt] is a similar but smaller slotted box [normally coloured brown] in which to fit a Graphics card , something with more memory .
    AGP ports are phaseing out now for the newer PCI-E cards [PCI-Express]

make sure you buy a keyboard with a caps lock key :giggle:

>AGP ports are phasing out now for the newer PCI-E cards [PCI-Express]

If your motherboard has an AGP slot you will have trouble finding a good graphics card for it.

Nearly all new cards are PCI-E and fit in a PCI-E slot which your motherbaord has not got.

Shouldn't you be saving up??:whistling:

80 GIG IDE HARD DRIVE!

You think thats bad before this computer i had an 18GB HDD For 6 years

I still using my 20gb hdd and this is for nearly a decade now
    (and im still a student btw)

Artonox;1657811

I still using my 20gb hdd and this is for nearly a decade now :D(and im … I still using my 20gb hdd and this is for nearly a decade now :D(and im still a student btw)

lmao my first hdd was 40Mb yep u read that right megabyte
    wth are u still doin as a student after a decade???
    sorry, back to topic this machine really aint worth upgradin unless u very desperate, cant see much that would transplant to newer system so time to buy/build a new one

I had a 3k ram pack for my Vic 20...

Original Poster

lol i had 40 for ages but then the hard drive broke!

Your best bet is to save up and buy a cheap new motherboard (m-atx), new ram and new cpu. You should manage with the onboard graphics for a while until you get chance (££) to get a new one. You will be able to get a m-atx motherboard, dual-core cpu and a couple of gigs of ram for under £100 these days, you'll almost certainly need a new PSU and possibly a new case on top but your looking at under £125 for a massively improved new system...

Original Poster

what kinda motherboard should i be looking at u said matx? what kinda CPU should i be looking at and also i want it to be upgradable in the future is that possible?

if its a htpc that will connect directly to a tv watch out, its a tricky subject but i've done a bit of work on htpc projects over the last year
    1st check the intended connection and resolution of your tv you need to match this with the htpc output for best results

If its an lcd at 1360*768, the best mainboard for this is the nforce as it can be manually set to output this res from the onboards vga and is plenty powerful enuf to decode even full hdtv
    The only advantage that hdmi has at the minute is it can contain a hardware key to decrypt protected hidef content but so far no sign of this has appeared so to me waste of time and money as most of the hidef content i watch is already decrypted to my hdd

this will raise many eyebrows but despite general opinion the connection type can be, hdmi,dvi or vga i really doubt anyone who can tell the difference in viewing adn i have opted for vga as these are the cheaper ones

the main problems on htpcs are:
    1. WAF (woman acceptance factor) if its too ugly it wont be allowed in the lounge
    2. noise
    3. heat dissipation

Original Poster

i think i may do the media centre bit later, i am going to just this pc upstairs or shall i just invest in a htpc, its a samsung q97 i will be looking bit more into htpc but i think my finances cant do it!

maddogb;1660487

lmao my first hdd was 40Mb yep u read that right megabytewth are u still … lmao my first hdd was 40Mb yep u read that right megabytewth are u still doin as a student after a decade???sorry, back to topic this machine really aint worth upgradin unless u very desperate, cant see much that would transplant to newer system so time to buy/build a new one

I had this pc since 1998 (or was it 2000), when I was a wee child. Back in those days, dial-up was luxury (used Freeserve) and broadband was just introduced. I noticed the ever upgrading tech, so after 6 years, when I noticed the PC cannot handle flash anymore I went to wait for a good time to buy a computer and still waiting :whistling:

You probably guessed that I really am a young student who aren't like the others who have £2000 computers from the hidden market :w00t:.

Original Poster

LOL YEh im a student but 23 nearly 24!
    now im just thinkin whether i should just wait, its more than a capable machine

roadie;1665468

LOL YEh im a student but 23 nearly 24!now im just thinkin whether i … LOL YEh im a student but 23 nearly 24!now im just thinkin whether i should just wait, its more than a capable machine

Well thats up to you and really prices on this kit haven't gone up in a while so waiting will get u more.
    I did a post recently on a spec for a new system (self build) that came in at bout £275 cant bloody find it yet, im still new here but you should look it up think it was in a post bout dell vostro's
    As an upgrade in your own room you wont need the new case and at a push could use your existing power supply, remove one of the hdds, use a linux free os and u could get it down to about £140 from what i remember
    that was dual core amd, v nice asus board with all onboard, 3gb ddr2 ram and a 160gb hdd oh and a pioneer dvdrw

Original Poster

remove the hard disk and do what sorry?! get an external?
    i have a pioneer 112 dvd rw, power supply is 550w i think! rep added maddogb

roadie;1666943

remove the hard disk and do what sorry?! get an external? i have a … remove the hard disk and do what sorry?! get an external? i have a pioneer 112 dvd rw, power supply is 550w i think! rep added maddogb

sorry m8 shudda made that cleared
    if u seen the original post it included 2 x hdd's to do a raid arrray but on a budget u could just buy one
    excellent as u already have case, optical and psu that setup would make a nice job, any cash left n u cud up the processor a bit

Original Poster

pc this pc is not going to be my htpc!!!
    Whats raid?!!! im a noob!
    What processor and ram, and motherboard shall i be looking at?!

Sorry mate, totally forgot I had posted here. If you wanted a really cheap-as-possible upgrade you could get something like as follows:

MSI K9N6SGM-V Motherboard with onboard Geforce 6100 graphics (]£28.20 @ ebuyer)
    Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (]£28.78 @ ebuyer)
    CPU Cooler (]£4.70 @ ebuyer)
    2GB Kit Crucial PC5300 RAM (]£26.99 @ ebuyer)

This comes to £88.67 with free delivery, although for around the same price you could build a system around a dual-core Intel Celeron processor. Either way you will probably want a new PSU (]under a tenner for a budget one) or you could get a complete new case a power supply ]for a few quid more. Either option will give you a much more up to date system with dual-core CPU, 2GB DDR2 ram and a PCI-E graphics card slot for around a hundred quid (and you might be able to get a few pounds back selling your old motherboard and especially ram on here or elsewhere :)). Hope this helps.

Original Poster

jah128 thats a great help so this motherboard u posted what will that let me do?! and in terms of graphics and sound is it good? should i be looking at a decent hard drive?"

Original Poster

had a look at the motherboard it can support up to 2gig, my budget to build a new desktop pc just wanting to play films and music so no gaming, should i get a even better motherboard as i would like to have the option of increasing the ram at a later date maybe i can push up the price of the motherboard to say £35 -40 or do you think its not essential?

Original Poster

ps the tower should look bit decent too! im on a budget but can stretch a bit if it looks better!!

Original Poster

by the way i will probably ask my uncle to fix it as he is a technician!

Original Poster

rep added

personally from experience i would swap the msi board for an asus, cut from original post see these items
    124291 57.66 2 maxtor 160gb hdds
    136311 28.78 AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Socket AM2 (1.9GHz)
    98710 32.00 Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
    140649 16.00 Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20X SATA DVD±RW DL Int Black - OEM
    135101 42.99 Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU
    139893 38.60 ASUS M2N-X Plus GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 6 channel audio ATX Motherboard
    116047 3.99 cpu fan
    123052 58.87 vist premium

The motherboard i listed was just as a baseline guide really, you have loads of options if your willing to spend a little more. Also like maddog suggests you are in many ways better spending a bit more on a decent case and psu, always a shrewd investment, but I guess its all down to what you can stretch to with your budget. The point overall is that its probably not worth investing money in a new AGP graphics card when for not too much more you can get a new system using dual-core CPUs (a massive improvement, makes multi-tasking and task switching much faster and system feels so much more responsive), cheap DDR2 ram (so much cheaper than DDR these days) and PCI-Express graphics (cheaper and faster than AGP).

Buy the Medion from Aldi for £400 in 2 weeks time. It will have everything you want at a fraction of the cost of upgrading your present system.

£400 is a fraction of the cost of £100??

Well, it is I suppose, but its an ]improper fraction

You are wasting your time trying to upgrade as suggested on here if you want to watch and burn movies, and play any games. At the end of the day it's up to you, but other than the 80 gig HDD which you could use for backups, and the 112 writer the rest of the system belongs in the trash.

Ok, so take the new motherboard, CPU, psu, case, and memory for £100, add to it the DVD drive and HDD that he already has, what extra do you get for the £300 on top that you are talking about? A Vista license that the OP probably doesn't want to pay £50+ for?

Also - ready for the trash bin? I'd be willing to bet that someone from here will pay at least £20+del for the DDR memory, motherboard, graphics and CPU as well. If you want to throw away money then great but I don't think its wise to encourage other people to do so ;-)

My advise, don't waste your money. Keep what you've got for now, or if you really need the upgrade spend £400 or thereabouts.

The items listed are not an upgrade, they went out of date 3-4 years ago. It may be an improvement on your present system but not worth investing in. A decent motherboard for a modern system will cost nigh on £100 alone so work it out for yourself. There is no point in fitting outdated ****.

KDH001;1667987

The items listed are not an upgrade, they went out of date 3-4 years ago. … The items listed are not an upgrade, they went out of date 3-4 years ago. It may be an improvement on your present system but not worth investing in. A decent motherboard for a modern system will cost nigh on £100 alone so work it out for yourself. There is no point in fitting outdated ****.

What an absolute load of rubbish. Did dual-core CPUs exist 3-4 years ago? Was 2GB of DDR-2 ram commonplace 3-4 years ago? Does the Aldi system have a £100+ motherboard in it? Of course not.

jah128;1668030

What an absolute load of rubbish. Did dual-core CPUs exist 3-4 years … What an absolute load of rubbish. Did dual-core CPUs exist 3-4 years ago? Was 2GB of DDR-2 ram commonplace 3-4 years ago? Does the Aldi system have a £100+ motherboard in it? Of course not.

amen, some people eh

Only the really high tip of heirachy are getting super duper oct cores and DDR 10 stuff. TBH, I think the mainstream are JUST starting to get the hang of dual cores and EVEN ddr2. Heck, my college just had a brand new spanking new computer and guess what it had. Pentium 4...

my suggestion is that (if you can build computers) it is possibly best to keep the hard drive, the dvd writers and the 5.1 sound card. You can even keep the case and PSU if you wanted (though you need to check on the PSU). The main fiddle is the motherboard - which frankly is the one of the most important deciding factor of computers (it determines what ram, what processor you can fit, as well as components). Your Socket A processor don't exist anymore lol (or mine) so if you are to upgrade, motherboards first.

I have no preference on the 2 motherboards which support only one of the 2 processors - AMD or Intel? Jah128s suggestion is very good. But whatever you do after motherboards, I recommend at least upgrading the CPU to dual core - its a hell of a lot of difference.

As for ram, 2 gb is minimal for games these days, though 1gb is still fair for your needs.

That said, games wasn't mentioned, so I even think the graphics card upgrade to... lets say 1950 Ati pro (plays 2006-7 games ok) is too overkill, (but what the heck lol). I have a 32mb Millenium in mine which really struggles to play Youtube on high quality, but you say your graphic card is good enough, which leads to the next point.

If you are to upgrade, you need to realise that alot of components will be replaced (even the graphics). If it is all good for now (i.e. you can do what you want with acceptable loading times), it's probably not worth the hassle. But if you want to do things at quick speed, want to multitask to get things done a lot quicker (noticeable in installing XP) it is worth an upgrade.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3911
      4. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11

See more discussions