Groups

Upgrading to Android 7.0 on Smart Ultra 6

Has anyone done this?
    I've had enough of 5.1 and after seeing a friends Nexus 6p with 7.0 on it and all the additional features it comes with, I'd like to put it on the SU6 but have no idea how to!

13 Comments

Go to settings, about device, manually update?

Is that the Vodafone range of own smart phones? I have a feeling they haven't released 7.0 for these yet I'm afraid, you might be able to install a custom rom, but this is risky if you don't know what your doing.

Vodafone aren't great at releasing updates for major manufacturers let alone their own range of devices.

Original Poster

westy125

Go to settings, about device, manually update?

Ah I see the SD card update option, I'll give that a go

Original Poster

stoneblade

Is that the Vodafone range of own smart phones? I have a feeling they … Is that the Vodafone range of own smart phones? I have a feeling they haven't released 7.0 for these yet I'm afraid, you might be able to install a custom rom, but this is risky if you don't know what your doing. Vodafone aren't great at releasing updates for major manufacturers let alone their own range of devices.

Yep, the Vodafone range. I knew they'd be crap at giving out updates so I'm looking to do it myself. I don't really have anything on the phone that I need to back up so nothing to lose really.

gsj87

Ah I see the SD card update option, I'll give that a go

Where have you sourced the V7 update from? I'm pretty sure there isn't even a V6 one available for that model.

there was a lot of work surrounding cm12/13 about 12 months ago on this device not sure that a daily driver was successful. see modaco.com and look in the su6 threads

Just had a look around and looks like there wasn't much interest in the phone and no custom roms greater than lollipop were ever developed. I'm afraid if you want v7 you will have to change your phone.

Some cheaper old phones like the Samsung galaxy s4 now have custom rom support for v7.0 which might be your only option.

Original Poster

I haven't sourced anything yet. I thought I could just download V7 from somewhere and put it on the phone? Since it's all android, it shouldn't make a difference right? Or wrong lol?

gsj87

I haven't sourced anything yet. I thought I could just download V7 from … I haven't sourced anything yet. I thought I could just download V7 from somewhere and put it on the phone? Since it's all android, it shouldn't make a difference right? Or wrong lol?

Wrong, I'm afraid! Each handset model requires specific drivers for its hardware.

Put the ROM from the wrong model in the same range, and you might get parts of the phone to work; put the ROM from a Random phone on there and you have a nicely designed brick.

ROMS are for specific models, sometimes you find identical phones sold under different branding, so the ROM from one MAY work on another, but you might lose some services, depending on the different brands and what they added to the basic ROM.

gsj87

Has anyone done this? I've had enough of 5.1 and after seeing a … Has anyone done this? I've had enough of 5.1 and after seeing a friends Nexus 6p with 7.0 on it and all the additional features it comes with, I'd like to put it on the SU6 but have no idea how to!

Be careful trying to use any ROM from CM (Cyanogen Mod) they are ceasing all support on 31/12/16, if you run into problems you may brick your phone. Have you tried one of the Nougat Launchers available on the Google Play store ? I've quickly tried one, it was from the N Dev Team, I'm quite happy with the phone as it is though.

Edited by: "teddie7" 28th Dec 2016

gsj87

I haven't sourced anything yet. I thought I could just download V7 from … I haven't sourced anything yet. I thought I could just download V7 from somewhere and put it on the phone? Since it's all android, it shouldn't make a difference right? Or wrong lol?

Google phones have the stock Google software unchanged, other manufacturers will tweak the software to make it work with their phones. So often if has to go through testing and all sorts of other hurdles which is why it takes so long to get to other phones.

mine is running ok with 5.1 tbh but can see your point of wanting to upgrade android. probably better to sell and get another phone. what about the smart ultra 7? anyone have thoughts on this and what android is it running?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2466
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767377
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1117
      4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow817

See more discussions